A bird in hand....

We have a heated birdbath in our yard and it's the first year we had it. No matter how cold it's been the birdbath has never frozen over. Needless to say there are a lot of birds in our yard and many bathing and frolicking in the bath. Normally they scatter at any noise, doors closing, us coming and going, virtually anything.

I drive up and park and there's a bird perched on our metal fence, no big deal and I expected that the bird would split right away per usual. This bird didn't budge as I walked by. I continued on for a step or two and stopped because it just seemed weird that said bird hadn't moved. So I walk back and take a look, it appears that the bird is frozen to the fence. I have no clue what to do next and get quite close to see for sure. The bird just goes limp like it's had a heart attack or stroke and it now appears a dead bird is hanging upside down by it's feet or claws still frozen the fence. I figured I just get a bag and dispose of said dead bird. For some reason I thought it would be unsightly to take the body and leave it's feet frozen onto the fence. So I take off my gloves and start to lift the feet off the fence, the first comes off easy and now the dead bird is hanging limp by one foot. I get the second foot off the fence and as the bird drops to the snow, except it doesn't.......boom it was gone in a flash.

Seeing the playing possum thing was pretty neat. A bird in hand......literally :)

Peace

MG

• Like 9

What a great story! :)

Hmm, a heated bird bath.....perhaps I can envision one out there beside my giant bird feeder next winter. :)

I see that amazon.ca has them and hey I could shop in my favorite manner - on line!

Great story - with a happy ending!

Getting some kind of a container with unfrozen water in the winter has been in my mind for a while. The heated bath is definitely a great idea. Any hardware store you can suggest?

That's an amazing story.

With a metal fence so close to the birdbath it's bound to happen again, you might be able to put a non-metal cap on it like a garden hose held on with zip ties or have a squirt bottle that you can fill with warm water to spray at the birds feet to melt the ice.

• Like 1

Guest P*rry

A neighbour has a heated bird bath and explained how birds need water year round. It makes sense when you think about it.

My neighbour has found he's getting more birds than normal in his garden as well as more types of birds.

evidently the birds will only bathe if the temperature is warm enough that they won't risk freezing. Of course, they probably didn't realize that they could freeze to the metal fence.

Porthos

Lmao, bird it hand.... When I first read the title I was expecting something different;)

That a neat story, I get a ton of birds in my backward but the dang squirrels chase them away. Never knew they made heated birdbath.