To make you feel a bit older ...

I thought I'd mention something that I noticed the other day that really shocked me and made me feel a bit older.

All of us remember "September 11" (2001). Its one of those days that ... at least for Americans like me and for many of our friends in Canada and around the world, that you remember for the rest of your life ... you remember where you were when you heard the news and what you did that day. Its burned into our memories forever, and it never seems that long ago to me.

I imagine a lot of us (probably a majority?) own iPods and regularly use them ... they have become one of those devices that define our generation and define has many or most of the computer generation purchase and listen to music. We carry them around like a body part. (smile) I think I saw that Apple has sold around a 250 million iPods worldwide since they were introduced.

And now, the feeling old part ... On September 11, there were NO iPods ... in fact, Steve Jobs of Apple wouldn't introduce them until late October, 2001 to a somewhat skeptical audience. :o:o

If nothing else, its a great example of how adoption rates for new technology (from radios, to TVs, to computers, etc.) have been getting shorter and shorter. By the way, its fun to go watch the youtube video of Jobs introduction of the iPod to a small, somewhat skeptical crowd and see just how prescient it was. Here's a link to one of the videos:

Guest C****** K***e

My God, I've been feeling old enough lately as it is. I mean, I've seen the rise of the internet age, I actually experienced it while I was a teenager. Kinda depressing how reliant I am on it now...I don't know how my life would function without facebook, wikipedia, youtube...and of course cerb!

Don't do this to me KF.

I'm pre-TV, at least in my infancy. Mind you, that was in the UK, so you can deduct a few years when you're trying to calculate my age. LOL

And I remember where I was when Kennedy was assassinated.

Oh yeah, and it was hell growing up in a shoe box at the bottom of a lake ...

Gotta keep a sense of humour about this!!!

My step-nephew who's 14 thinks it's funny that when I remind him that I was a teenager, we had no cell phones, no computers, no internet, ipods, no mp3 players, dvds, cds or voice mail, etc.

The biggest thrill for me was having an "extension" telephone line in my bedroom when I was 18. A couple of years later, we ohed and ahhed when the Sony Walkman was introduced and cassette tape answering machines became more widely available.

Yeah, so maybe we wore out 2 copies of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of Moon on vinyl, but I'll tell you, we somehow survived. And it is the music that I grew up on that you the younger generation are now listening to when they play Rockband or Guitar Hero.

When I was their age, I would have never dreamed of listening to my parent's music like Doris Day or Perry Como.

Do I feel old? Only when I realize how time has flown and wondered, "hey man, it seems like only yesterday it was the summer of '78 and we were groovin' to Fleetwood Mac's Rumour's LP and The Eagles, Hotel California.

Keep on truckin'.....

Guest C**Tra****er

I vividly remember that I was on the phone with my insurance company adding a new car to my policy when my broker said that a plane had just crashed into Tower 1 of the World Trade Centre. I walked in to the living room and turned on CNN just in time to see plane 2 crash into Tower 2. I remember thinking that there was no way that was an accident.

I remember that the first Gulf War started on the evening when I was studying for exams for my first semester of grade 12. I didn't study at all - I couldn't move away from the TV.

Yes, I do own an iPod, but there is just as much classical music and jazz on it (most of these people were dead when I was born) as there is newer music.

Have I sufficiently dated myself yet? lol