As many of you know i have been living in Montreal now for the last couple of months. I love it! The city, the people and Joie de vivre.... yes there is a language barrier but most people do speak English. Today while at the grocery the young man packing my groceries said to me,"you don't like french?" This was because they were explaining about a free bag of carrots i was supposed to receive...{really didn't matter to me] that they didn't have. Anyway i told him "sure i do...I'm still learning and when you speak fast I'm lost,lol" he was very sweet and we both laughted..

today on the phone a gentleman called to make an appointment..again i was lost...so i told him in French that i don't speak French very well..he hung up on me...now this could take place anywhere in the world...be it Spanish,Italian,Chinese...and English of course..even capebretoneze...I'm saying this because one must remember that if a person is visiting a city they are most times there because they want to be...I'm willing to learn the language wherever i am even if all i can say is a few words ..I'm trying..i love languages and French and Spanish just happen to be my favorite...even if i don't understand what your saying just purrrrr and I'll know what you mean...;-)

kisses,

Emma A

Guest s******ecan****
.even if i don't understand what your saying just purrrrr and I'll know what you mean...;-)

kisses,

Emma A

Emma's purr must be a universal language8)

I lived in Montreal for a year and worked at my my sisters restaurant. I did manage to learn a little although I did have one embarrassing moment. A customer was asking if we had any champagne and I thought he wanted mushrooms. Fortunately for me he understood English and told me what he was looking for. I was a little embarassed.:oops:

Dear Emma A,

Born in Montreal and now in Ottawa, the language barrier is on the other side for me. I find English people in Ottawa quite cool. My big French accent when I speak English seems not to bother anyone, and sometimes is considered sexy !

For sure, some people are intolerant and dont give a chance to anybody different; in every culture bad people remains bad people ( and I am polite !;-)); it's universal.

But in any culture, to try to understand eachother and to make some effort to learn from the others is the key to live together in harmony.

You want to learn and are open to new things, then you are in the right track.

(as you can see, I even have an accent, when I write.:lol:)

But French is not only a nice language to learn, it has have many good thing to offer: "French Fries", but also LFK, and DFK. Ooh la la... :p

• Like 1

Well, I must say that was pretty damn rude of him to hang up on you, especially since you tried your best to speak to him in French.

I've lived most of my life in Montreal and I speak both English and French. However, you'd be very surprised at the number of people that I grew up with who, despite learning French in school, cannot speak it. So, it sounds to me like you're ahead of the game :grin:. Go Emma!

Hey Emma,having started out as a unilingual Cape Bretoner in Montreal myself (fluent in Cape Bretoneze however) over 20 years ago, I can sympathize. My experience has been that most people will respect the attempts you are making to express yourself and to understand.

There's always some bad apples in the basket (lame, I know, but true). Don't give up. Just ignore the ignorant ones.... :-D

There's always some bad apples in the basket (lame, I know, but true).

believe me i know...and to clarify i wasn't saying anything bad just saying don't assume because I'm English that i don't or won't try to communicate to the best of my abality..no matter where i am in the world. :-D

most likely if you had a chance to find out who this person was...they would admit openly to being ale to speak and understand English.....but would be a sepratist and tell you that you live in Quebec you speak French.

I lived in Quebec most of my life and I have traveled around the world...and I have never found a place more bent on ostrisizing themselves by preserving thier language and culture instead of promoting its diversity and Language through open communication.

En tant que Jacques Parizeau a dit si bien, ces sont des immigrants maudits - comme les Anglais. :butt: BdR. (Lol) :rolleyes: