World Cup in Brazil

What a thriller yesterday! Portugal came back to tie the USA in the dying seconds 2-2... and what a beautiful feed from Ronaldo! :bigclap:

The knockout stage is over and the surprises continue. It makes for enthralling watching. Some great exciting football and some unsavoury incidents all helping to keep me glued to the TV and web. Great to see Algeria go through. They meet Germany in their next game and there's some history there as in 1982 (I think that's the correct year) Germany and Austria are alleged to have colluded to produce a result that put them both through to the knock out round but had the effect of denying Algeria. Even with all the upsets we've seen so far I can't see Algeria beating Germany. Greece have manage to get through. I hope they don't play their typical stifling game, known in soccer circles as "parking the bus" in front of goals. As well as the Suarez biting incident there is a photo of a laser light being shone on the Russian keeper's face just as Algeria took the free kick which produced the tying goal which took Algeria through. Ghana kind of self destructed with internal arguments and 2 players being sent home before their last game. In the history of the World Cup in S. America only a S. American team has won the Cup. Will there be another "first" this time around? Germany and Holland look like contenders. Apparently there are some doubts about the fitness of Holland's captain Arjen Robben. He has matured a whole lot, he used to be notorious for his "diving". If he's not fit it will be a big blow and Dutch teams are well known for internal strife. Messi is coming onto his game, he's dragging the Argentine team with him. Neymar is dragging Brazil with him. Colombia looks strong all around. Chile are a "team" and the same with Costa Rica. Can hardly wait.

• Like 1

The final four will be most likely Brazil, Argentina, Germany and The Netherlands. I can't see any other squeezes by, but then again, anything can happen in soccer. These will be the four teams that I will pay to watch.

The final four will be most likely Brazil, Argentina, Germany and The Netherlands. I can't see any other squeezes by, but then again, anything can happen in soccer. These will be the four teams that I will pay to watch.

I agree with your picks but I think there will be a surprise in there, probably Costa rica... Brazil v Chile is a tough one, Brazil has played OK but neymar has been the show... But I'll exclude Netherlands and include Costa Rica....I just think there will be an upset somewhere.

Or maybe Colombia will surprise people... They would have to play Brazil or Chile to advance, tough call for sure... But Brazil does have the advantage of playing at home.

This round seems pretty predictable with most of the teams that should win, will move on.

One interesting game is Belgium v US... Should be a close came, and maybe go to OT?!

The way Netherlands is playing, I don't see it could lose to Mexico or Costa Rica. Oooops.. sorry Issy! ;)

But again, I am no expert and anything can happen.

Yeah, penalty shoot-out in US vs Bel. game should be exciting!

• Like 1

I am still sticking with my original choice...Germany. In regards to Brazil, they are very vulnerable in the back 5. Their Center and Full Backs are terrible and their goalkeeping is average at best. I still don't see them making the final. The team to be most aware of right now is France...they are very solid!

I would say you'd get short odds with the bookies on your predictions. But, I'm ever the romantic, being from Scotland, and I would love to see Costa Rica upset the big boys.

Brazil v Chile today. Brazil looked to be dominant in the first half but when Chile equalised it took a long time for them to regain their composure. They are vulnerable.

Colombia v Uruguay - a very scrappy game with Uruguay determined not to let Colombia get into any kind of rhythm, no matter what it took to do so.

I have always loved Diego Forlan as a player. This will be his last World Cup. He's in his mid 30s I think. He's class. Too many of his teammates were not class.

And the classiest player of the game was Rodriguez. What a talent. And he's still so young.

On today's matches, as I mentioned earlier, the speed of the Latin Americans were so impressive!

On Brazil vs Chile, I missed the first half, but in the second half, the Chileans were so gutsy and showed lots of class. The game could have gone either way but for a stupid post!

On Colombia vs Uruguay game, the former was definitely a better team. The final result could have been different, however, if Uruguay had the service of Suarez.

Tomorrow's game between the Netherlands and Mexico would be a fun match! I know someone would be sitting on a pin-cushion! lol.

• Like 1

Good games today, teams I thought would win, did... Get match up between Brazil v Colombia... I think Brazil will still but I'm sure it'll have to go to OT to determine a winner.

The first game will be interesting but not sure about Costa Rica game, think Greece will draw them out for a long game, they don't really have any offense Lol.

I have pretty well been unable to see any games in the past week but have been keeping track of scores and match ups.

From what I have seen thus far Netherlands and Germany still look very strong. However as a total novice to this I am going to stay with the team that is my sentimental favorite as the underdog. I'm cheering for Costa Rica to upset the Dutch.

• Like 1

I have pretty well been unable to see any games in the past week but have been keeping track of scores and match ups.

From what I have seen thus far Netherlands and Germany still look very strong. However as a total novice to this I am going to stay with the team that is my sentimental favorite as the underdog. I'm cheering for Costa Rica to upset the Dutch.

Germany could be interesting now as some of the players are suffering from flu like symptoms. Certainly could change their situation depending on how quickly they can rebound from it.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28150945

Germany could be interesting now as some of the players are suffering from flu like symptoms. Certainly could change their situation depending on how quickly they can rebound from it.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28150945

Yes read this too, but I still think the French will win this game either way.

I'm also think an upset, but I'm thinking Colombia over Brazil.

Costa Rica v Holland is a tough one, they just barely got past Mexico so cr will be a tough match.

And I choose Argentina over Belgium.

Exciting weekend of football that's for sure, I'm sure some OT games as well.

What a match-up for tomorrow; Germany vs France and Brazil vs Colombia!

I have a feeling that Colombia might upset Brazil.

I will also cheer for the underdog Costa Rica against the Dutch. The impressive way that Belgium beat the USA, and the way Argentina struggled against Switzerland, I will go with Belgium.

Germany vs France; prediction -- Germany should prevail.

Go Eugenie go! lol..:bigclap:

Additional Comments:

One down, three to go! :icon_biggrin:

I'm still sticking with Germany. They were my pick before the tournament started and they still look the strongest to me.

Two down, two to go!

On another matter, I was sick to my stomach at seeing how Neymar was viciously kneed on his back by a Colombian player!

Lol, luckyme you have called them right so far, two more to go...

I on the other had have not, i do like a good upset but maybe not in the cards. Brazil and Germany played great games yesterday and took it to their opponent.

Really looking forward to Argentina v Belgium... Should be interesting.

• Like 1

Lol, luckyme you have called them right so far, two more to go...

I on the other had have not, i do like a good upset but maybe not in the cards. Brazil and Germany played great games yesterday and took it to their opponent.

Really looking forward to Argentina v Belgium... Should be interesting.

Just luck, I guess!

Argentina is doing great at the moment although I am pulling for Belgium. If the result holds, it will be 3 down and one to go! lol.

Oh, my, I couldn't believe my luck! Four out of four! :biggrin:

Now, the prediction for the final two - that will be more difficult.

Lol... Good job.

So my prediction will be Germany v Argentina.

For the final game today, Costa Rica really did well to hang on till the end... And lucky too... But ultimately Holland was too much for them.

Ok... my trusty crystal ball indicates the final will be between Germany and Argentina...:biggrin:

Frankly, the Germany and Brazil game is a real toss-up. Brazil would have been a favorite if Neymar and Thiago Silva were playing. Without them, Germany could just squeeze by. It will be a tight match as one can imagine, can't wait for the game to start!

• Like 1