question regarding thread commenting

Does anyone know why when I comment on particular post inside a thread and give positive reputation points the icon beside my comment is this

postnotes_neutral.gif

instead of this (like I see in other people's positive comments)?

postnotes_pos.gif

I'd really like to leave a smile with my comments as anytime I've commented it was meant in a nice way, but that stupid neutral face icon looks very "sarcastic" and "judgemental" and I'm afraid some people may consequently misinterpret my comments as such.

I'm a newbie, and I'm sure it's something really simple, but I can't seem to find where to change that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:smile:

Edited by omehgosh
originally said comment on thread, but meant commenting on a post inside a thread
  • Like 2

I believe it deals with your reputation points? Example someone maybe gaining rep points therefore the sarcastic smiley comes up, then again I could be dead wrong.

Great question though!

I believe it deals with your reputation points? Example someone maybe gaining rep points therefore the sarcastic smiley comes up, then again I could be dead wrong.

Great question though!

I have a feeling you're right. If that's the case, hopefully others won't see as much in that icon as I do.

Good question indeed!

Recently, someone accidentally gave me "bad reputation" because of this problem.

It's no big deal but still. I wasn't very happy to see the "judgemental face" staring at me! hihi

I know I would love to stare at you in the flesh:)

Good question indeed!

Recently, someone accidentally gave me "bad reputation" because of this problem.

It's no big deal but still. I wasn't very happy to see the "judgemental face" staring at me! hihi

Guest W***ledi*Time
Does anyone know why when I comment on particular post inside a thread and give positive reputation points the icon beside my comment is this

postnotes_neutral.gif

instead of this (like I see in other people's positive comments)?

postnotes_pos.gif

I'd really like to leave a smile with my comments as anytime I've commented ....

This is a "neutral" face -- it means you have approved of the post ... but that you yourself do not qualify to give rep-points out.

You have to have BOTH:

at least 25 rep points of your own; AND

at least 25 posts of your own

in order to leave positive rep points (and therefore a "smile", too) for someone else. Now that PP and TS have bumped your own rep up to more than 25 points (by approving of your post here), you will now be actually giving out rep points yourself when you approve of someone else's posts -- which means you will be leaving "smiles" from now on!

This is a "neutral" face -- it means you have approved of the post ... but that you yourself do not qualify to give rep-points out.

You have to have BOTH:

at least 25 rep points of your own; AND

at least 25 posts of your own

in order to leave positive rep points (and therefore a "smile", too) for someone else. Now that PP and TS have bumped your own rep up to more than 25 points (by approving of your post here), you will now be actually giving out rep points yourself when you approve of someone else's posts -- which means you will be leaving "smiles" from now on!

Ah... that makes sense. Okay, I take it back - the neutral face isn't stupid. :lol:

Thanks WrinkledinTime for clearing this up for me! Thanks PistolPete and T'storm for the points so that I can actually give out points to others (and not just leave the not-so-stupid neutral face). :smile:

• Like 1

wow.....as I stated in omehgosh's post......I can not give rep point to Wrinkled....as I "have to spread some point around".......is what I get told.......

I gave WIT points for it too.... great job at explaining it WIT!

Ah... that makes sense. Okay, I take it back - the neutral face isn't stupid. :lol:

Thanks WrinkledinTime for clearing this up for me! Thanks PistolPete and T'storm for the points so that I can actually give out points to others (and not just leave the not-so-stupid neutral face). :smile:

maybe I am stupid but how do you get in the comment each time I reply to a thread it writes in a separate box,not a little comment on the original post which is what I want to do but don't know how??help

Edited by cr**tyc***es
speeling

Guest W***ledi*Time
maybe I am stupid but how do you get in the comment each time I reply to a thread it writes in a separate box,not a little comment on the original post which is what I want to do but don't know how??help

Click on the "Reputation for this Post" button, which is located at the top right of the post you wish to comment upon. It will open a dialogue box, in which you can show that you either approve or disapprove of the post, and in which you can also type your comment.