Advertisements using Sex......

bb'Sexist' Ads for Condo Removed After Uproar

Source: CBC News

Posted: 03/26/10 9:01AM

An ad campaign for a Calgary condo project has been withdrawn after it was denounced as sexist. The posters for the Midtown tower, under construction on 10th Avenue and Fourth Street S.W., featured the slogan: "A $20,000 down payment is as easy as a 25-year-old scotch, or a 25-year-old blond on a 25-year-old scotch. Get on it."

Another read: "A $20,000 down payment is easier than scoring on a four-minute 5 on 3. And way, way easier than scoring with your waitress."

The posters were placed in men's washrooms at several nightclubs, including Sumo Lounge Restaurant on 10th Avenue S.W. and the Ironwood Bar and Grill on Ninth Avenue S.E.

The four-week-old campaign was designed to appeal to young professional men in the downtown area, according to the condo's builder, Point of View Developments. But it misfired for Will Knoll, a Calgary actor who saw the ad at one of the bars.

"I probably wouldn't want to end up in a building with people who thought it was a fantastic ad," said Knoll.

He took pictures and posted them on the internet and Twitter, getting hundreds of responses, with most sharing his assessment that the ads were offensive.

"It's just that this one was so blatant, so tasteless," he said. "That stopped being funny to me before I was even 25 years old."

The subsequent online uproar has prompted the condo developer to withdraw the ads and apologize.

"It wasn't our intention to offend anybody," Clark Hogan, marketing manager for Point of View Developments, said Wednesday. "We took it as tongue-in-cheek. We were trying to address a target audience. But obviously we've offended 25-year-old."

The company that designed the ads also issued an apology. "As creators of the Midtown condo campaign, Watermark Advertising apologizes unreservedly for any offense these washroom ads may have caused," it read.

"Obviously our idea of fun isn't funny to the audience we are attempting to engage which immediately makes the communication wrong, so of course just as immediately, they will be removed."

Hugs to all!

Tracie:butt:

I happen to think there funny, but i think society reads way into to much today. And alot of our freedoms of free speech are being controlled over humour and other things. Like our religions which are over indieghted (sic).

If you don't believe in their's you a a blaphiemist (sic).

I tnink we need to allow freedom of speech with humour and without violence

You have to watch everything you say today or you'll be sued.

and thats what i think, so i stick my tongue out at the politically offended correct people.

They should have paid someone to graphite them in the bathrooms lol then they could claim ignorance!

WOW I never thought that much effort went into an advertising plan for a single condo building, I understand multiple ads for beer, large audience, several different kinds of ads are in the budget.

I must admit that my new ad promotions will probably have sexual under oh and over tones!! ...

There is a commercial on TV with a girl in pantyhose and bra running to her microwave to get her Uncle Ben's rice...."Ready before you are" is the slogan.

Obviously the girl in bra and pantyhose is the draw......of course all the ladies watching can be slim like her if they eat this product, and the guys watching will surely want this rice so they can meet a girl like this...something like that. It's kinda cheesy.....

There is a commercial on TV with a girl in pantyhose and bra running to her microwave to get her Uncle Ben's rice...."Ready before you are" is the slogan.

Obviously the girl in bra and pantyhose is the draw......of course all the ladies watching can be slim like her if they eat this product, and the guys watching will surely want this rice so they can meet a girl like this...something like that. It's kinda cheesy.....

I think it is only the au gratin that is cheesy the rest of them are more traditional rice flavors :)

I think it is only the au gratin that is cheesy the rest of them are more traditional rice flavors :)

Ahahaha...I guess I missed you too Dummpy!