Mobile Cerb - Iphone/Android (Installed tapatalk to site)

One of our members (OutForFun) brought this iphone app called tapatalk to my attention yesterday and asked me if I had ever heard of it. I had not so I looked into it and decided to give it a try.

Now the app itself has a FREE version but you can only READ posts with it... to reply to posts you need the paid version of the app (It's 2.99 in the app store but if you like the free version it may be worth it to you as we all know the mobile version of cerb could be improved and this may just be the right direction).

When you log into the site right now using a iphone you will get a notice pop up about tapatalk. You can click Cancel and go on the way you normally do or click OK and learn about this application.

I would encourage you to download the FREE version and at least give it a try and let us know what you think.

So far we know that it does not work with the photo albums or the chat room (Nothing on the iphone allows flash so the chat room will not work with any iphone apps - not even the gordon app that translates flash)

...but everything else seams to work fine. I don't have a iPhone myself to test it out on but OutForFun sent me a whack of screen shots and lots of info! (Big thanks to OutForFun for testing both the free and paid versions of the app).

The app works on MANY discussion sites (all running the software we use here). Apparently it works on android phones and soon Blackberry and Nokia will be available as well.

What I need to know is ....

1) Is this something our members are interested in?

2) Does it make the mobile experience better for you?

3) Should we keep it or drop it?

Anyone who tries it please let us know what you think (Especially if you like it as I need to know if we should keep it as an option or not)

One of our members (OutForFun) brought this iphone app called tapatalk to my attention yesterday and asked me if I had ever heard of it. I had not so I looked into it and decided to give it a try.

Now the app itself has a FREE version but you can only READ posts with it... to reply to posts you need the paid version of the app (It's 2.99 in the app store but if you like the free version it may be worth it to you as we all know the mobile version of cerb could be improved and this may just be the right direction).

When you log into the site right now using a iphone you will get a notice pop up about tapatalk. You can click Cancel and go on the way you normally do or click OK and learn about this application.

I would encourage you to download the FREE version and at least give it a try and let us know what you think.

So far we know that it does not work with the photo albums or the chat room (Nothing on the iphone allows flash so the chat room will not work with any iphone apps - not even the gordon app that translates flash)

...but everything else seams to work fine. I don't have a iPhone myself to test it out on but OutForFun sent me a whack of screen shots and lots of info! (Big thanks to OutForFun for testing both the free and paid versions of the app).

The app works on MANY discussion sites (all running the software we use here). Apparently it works on android phones and soon Blackberry and Nokia will be available as well.

What I need to know is ....

1) Is this something our members are interested in?

2) Does it make the mobile experience better for you?

3) Should we keep it or drop it?

Anyone who tries it please let us know what you think (Especially if you like it as I need to know if we should keep it as an option or not)

Cool, I will def have to check that out!!!

Guest Ou**or**n

A big thanks to Mod for continuing to find ways to make CERB better. I really like the Tapatalk client as it allows me to browse very quickly from my iPhone. There is no pinching and zooming like when you use the mobile site.

Using pm's is also a lot faster and easier than the mobile version of CERB. The client costs 3 bucks which is about the cost of two cups of coffee. The free version gives you a really good idea of how it looks.

On an additional note the Opera browser got released today for the iPhone. This browser does a much better job than Safari with the mobile version of CERB. You still need to do some zooming but once you the for posts wrap correctly so you don't have to keep moving the screen side to side. It also does a much better job with pm's.

With these two new option accessing CERB from mobile devices just got a whole lot better.

OFF

A big thanks to Mod for continuing to find ways to make CERB better. I really like the Tapatalk client as it allows me to browse very quickly from my iPhone. There is no pinching and zooming like when you use the mobile site.

Does the App / Plugin act as a proxy ? Or do you connect directly to cerb ?

Trying to find details which it is light on.....

Thanks.

Guest Ou**or**n

There is more information here...

www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=208412

According to this post the communication is direct from the iPhone to CERB

Does the App / Plugin act as a proxy ? Or do you connect directly to cerb ?

Trying to find details which it is light on.....

Thanks.

Directly to cerb from the looks of it on this end. It has software I installed on this side with a javascript client. Looks like the app on the phone requests the data directly.

Thanks OutForFun and mod. Increases my comfort level for using this. Was concern about man-in-the-middle and which entity actually sees my username/password. A direct connection means it no different then today, my device and cerb.

Edited by etasman2000
more explainations

Just remember, while you are driving, and staring at CERB threads,albums, profiles or whatever.

> Keep your freaking eyes on the road ...lol don't want to see anyone get hurt for get fined <:mrgreen::roll:8):wink:

Guest Ou**or**n

So you all can get an idea of how the forum looks through this native iPhone client. I used it several times from work and each time everything loaded very quickly. The more vanilla look also took away anxiety of people seeing my phone.

Here is the view of the 'Latest' unread posts. The bottom icons link to Forums, Favorites and you PM's.

cerb013.png

Then reading posts within a forum. No pinching and zooming required.

cerb017.png

And finally you can still make your own posts and even edit them afterwards.

cerb037.png

If you visit Tapatalk's website from Mod's post they have a beta of a Blackberry client. Hopefully it will good for all the Blackberry users out there.

Cheers,

OFF

Just remember, while you are driving, and staring at CERB threads,albums, profiles or whatever.

> Keep your freaking eyes on the road ...lol don't want to see anyone get hurt for get fined <:mrgreen::roll:8):wink:

I can read the newspaper headlines now.......:oops:

Downloaded a paid version. This is the first post by tapatalk.

First impression: I can see avatars now on my iphone!

More to come.

Guest Ou**or**n

Angela - you can try the free, read-only version to see if it would work for you.

Great find mod. This does make accessing and posting to this site much easier.

You really have the spirit of Kaizen.

Don't thank me thank OutForFun he suggested it to me - I just reviewed the security end of it to make sure it looked ok and gave it a try.

Looks like they removed it (Possibly because it is adult) so I have re-listed it and made it so it is SEARCH ONLY so you have to click the "SEARCH" button and type CERB and it will now come up.

Testing tapatalk... Posting this from tapatalk off the iPad

Has CERB been removed again for use via Tapatalk? I used to access CERB via Tapatalk on my iPhone, but recently switched to Android and I have the paid version of Tapatalk but cannot find it at this time. A search doesn't list it. Thanks.

Looks like they removed it (Possibly because it is adult) so I have re-listed it and made it so it is SEARCH ONLY so you have to click the "SEARCH" button and type CERB and it will now come up.

Thanks Sara. I thought I was going crazy! I'm going to query Tapatalk directly. I'd think if Tapatalk is no longer listing CERB in their index of sites, you should still be able manually enter the URL.

I haven't been able to find it either...

I tagged CERB as a Favorite so I have no trouble accessing the site through Tapatalk. Thus, this thread didn't make any sense to me.

Then, in a rare fit of brilliance, I tried the Search function and saw what you saw (or, more precisely, what you did not see). No CERB. So I see it because I tagged it, but someone just starting on Tapatalk is not going to find it. I tried keyword and category searches.

I also took a quick glance at the Tapatalk users forum and didn't see anything useful.

So... don't know where that leaves it. Just my two cent's worth.

I tried installing the newest version of tapatalk and I get some error. I am really not liking tapatalk these days and I don't have the time to try to tinker with it right now

Is it working for anyone?