Bartering in Our Community - Ethical or No?

Bartering System in Our Community?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Bartering System in Our Community?

• Good Idea
    • Awful Idea
    • No Opinion

Carrie Moon had an ad once bartering for reduced rate on her services if someone would come and shovel her driveway.

I recall that snowy winter and was one of the gents happy to provide the shoveling service! The offer was up-front, clear, simple and sensible. And, oh yeah, Carrie is very sexy too!!

I think bartering can be a very slippery slope and one that needs to be approached with the utmost sensitivity for the SP. I am very uncomfortable with bartering because it has a tendency to set a precedence. IF the SP is the one to suggest it, as others have said, and it is on her terms (but beneficial for both) then it can work.

That being said, I prefer to avoid it. I've been burned in the past, and I did stop seeing a client who tried to use bartering as a negotiation tool.

Edited by Miss S. Lane
Hit post too soon!! Lol
  • Like 1

I don't think the intention of this thread and that are the same. Sure some negotiation would be involved with a barter system, but not in the way the other question was asked. That had to do with haggling down prices, which is down right insulting in my book. That implies a hobbiest looked at a posted rate and asking for a lesser price. Bartering simply implies alternative means of compensation than money that is agreed upon by both parties.

So what if an sp posted in an ad saying: my rate is x $, however "if you're a mechanic, I'm having trouble getting my engine revving", or "if you know about roofing, I'm getting wet in all the wrong places", would there be an issue with that?

Obviously it would have to be agreed upon by both. Showing up with a vase that you figure is worth a certain amount would not be cool if she is expecting cash. But otherwise, why not? Modern currency is merely a means to standardize transactions and ultimately, make them fairly taxable. I don't see an issue if it is good for both and agreed upon. It may however open doors for the other type of haggling mentioned above.

Edit: sorry, meant to quote rg's original post. Stupid smart phones. ;)

My reason to refer to the negotiating thread is because first, there is going to be overlap between bartering and negotiating, and some points in that thread would be appropriate to consider in bartering.

And second, Summer posted (copied/pasted)

I believe this discussion was brought up before and mod would not approve it

Which was in reference to negotiating.

I stated that the lady determines her rate, and it is up to her to determine if bartering is an acceptable form of payment. If a client/prospective client brings it up, then it starts reeking, IMHO of negotiating. I didn't say no to bartering, just it should be up to the lady to suggest it as an option, and there are risks to a mutually beneficial arrangement of barter (an encounter versus reciprocal services)

Just my opinion

RG

• Like 3

My reason to refer to the negotiating thread is because first, there is going to be overlap between bartering and negotiating, and some points in that thread would be appropriate to consider in bartering.

And second, Summer posted (copied/pasted)

I believe this discussion was brought up before and mod would not approve it

Which was in reference to negotiating.

I stated that the lady determines her rate, and it is up to her to determine if bartering is an acceptable form of payment. If a client/prospective client brings it up, then it starts reeking, IMHO of negotiating. I didn't say no to bartering, just it should be up to the lady to suggest it as an option, and there are risks to a mutually beneficial arrangement of barter (an encounter versus reciprocal services)

Just my opinion

RG

......agree completely.. which is why a bartering site like ITEX would be perfect for these arrangements.

I'm absolutely sold on the idea, just waiting for the new year to institute it. If I'm able to shop for products that I pay for anyways it's a sweet deal.

When you're actually dealing with an individual it's a whole other kettle of fish...

.....or mussels..........or lobster.... sorry distracted ............

• Like 2

......agree completely.. which is why a bartering site like ITEX would be perfect for these arrangements.

I'm absolutely sold on the idea, just waiting for the new year to institute it. If I'm able to shop for products that I pay for anyways it's a sweet deal.

When you're actually dealing with an individual it's a whole other kettle of fish...

.....or mussels..........or lobster.... sorry distracted ............

Mussels, Lobster, Jessica I do believe your thinking about PEI.

I think Bartering is ok to do with a client you have seen regularly for a while.

ei. you needed a service from him and you too had that kind of relationship where you can do this,ask him how he feels about you too exchanging good and services. of equal value.

I have done some bartering with two clients that are/were long term. One it turn up to be horrible.

The other one is still a good regular of mine, he once paid for a trip for me (solo) and I gave him x amount of sessions. Someone paid for a session for my tattoo one and got x amount of time

But it's not something I would consider on a regular base and with new people.

• Like 1

Definition of Currency

A generally accepted form of money, including coins and paper notes, which is issued by a government and circulated within an economy. Used as a medium of exchange for goods and services, currency is the basis for trade.

Within this definition, barter is a transaction based upon the exchange of goods or services.

Now the promissory note we accept in form of payment is nothing more than paper, especially now that currencies are no longer matched to gold reserves. So maybe barter is best. Anyone doing Bitcoins ??