DNS Resolver Cache

What is the DNS Resolver cache and why does it need to be flushed and modem reset so often

Every day, at least once a day, sometimes two or three times a day the internet locks up, and the screen pops up with HP Diagnosis which scans the problem and solution is flush dns resolver cache and reset wireless modem. It's all done from my computer not an issue of getting up and unplugging things, but it gets to be a pain in the ass when your halfway through writing an email/post/tweet etc and the internet locks up

Any tips as to why it happens so frequently and if there is a more permanent fix

Thanks

RG

If you are on Rogers, be aware that the Rogers' DNS system lies.

Your system saves (caches) the wrong answer, and that can confuse it. I doubt the HP diagnostics are getting the right solution, just tripping up on the Roger's system violating specification. Use the google 8.8.8.8 resolver. (Trash the PC for the hobby. Mac or Linux if you care about your privacy)

As for the modem, I haven't a clue what is wrong.

• Like 1

Try changing your DNS to something public facing, like google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). That helps with the majority of the ISP troubleshooting. They are less likely to crap out then the rogers/bell ones.

Run a few nslookups and you should be fine :) let me know if you need more help!