Would you attend a social in the West end?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a social in the West end?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe (See comment)

Ottawa is a unique city, in that you can travel from downtown to the east or west ends of the city (depending on time of day) within 20minutes. Kanata area has a few Hotels from the Brookstreet to a Holiday Inn Express and others. If people are going out for dinner before the social Kanata Centrum area has numerous restaurants.

I think you will always have people against the move, or trying to swing the location to their area.

I believe firmly, that if the organizers state " we have found a new venue located in Ottawa' west end" your attendees will follow, let's face it, the socials for most attendees are for a good time and to meet and greet.

From my personal opinion, I attended the Christmas social, and I thought the price was low already for admission that is why I contributed a gift card for VS as a door prize. So lifting the admission price another 15 bucks is minor especially if it's assisting others for a "designated driver " ;)

As for ladies not showing up and I'm sure some with valid reasons I think you should ask for a ten spot to hold their place, and if the facility can hold a certain number ie 80 max use a formula of 35 gents 35 booked ladies and 10 more ladies, does the number of invitees need to be an even split? Let's face it more ladies the better right??

Anyways my thoughts on it.

• Like 2

Guest N***he**Ont**y

For someone who comes to Ottawa as long as accomedation is available in the area it is fine with me. The only issue is enough notice to make a room booking in advance.

to me if i can go don't matter where it is i always take a cab and i'll agree with the 10 spot for the ladies to hold a spot they would more likely to go if they paid for there spot

• Like 2

I probably would not come if the social was in Kanata. I livd on the opposite side of the city and getting there would be a pain. At the most I would only attend one a year.. But that might be good lol

As far as paying, I don't see shy issue with that. People in general, but especially in this industry, should know better than to no show.

• Like 3

I would most likely attend a Partay in the west end fellas. Seeing that I have already travelled 2400 kilometers :)

And if any of you ladies would like to travel with me from downtown to Kanata, probably get lost and you'll chance the risk of injury....then I AM your guy ;) :chug:

• Like 7

Guest P*rry

I've been to two socials. Downtown location was convenient and ambience was fantastic. Nevertheless, if you think the west end location offers advantages to enhance the experience of the social, I say give it a try.

Nonetheless, I do have one reservation with the venue being in Kanata. No shows. If no shows are a problem with a downtown spot my guess is it will be magnified with a west end location. If the weather is miserable that night, the problem will likely be exacerbated.

Good luck. And, thank you for the thought given to planning the social.

I don't have a problem with the location or the cost of a ticket. Kanata is a wee drive and there are plenty of us with cars to help with taking the downtown ladies out there along with several reputable drivers who would gladly drive as well...

cat

• Like 4

I would attend it. But depending on how much more it would be. I had a great time at the last social.

• Like 2

Guest *l**e

I probably wouldn't go. I live central; taxi is waaaay to expensive. not sure about the van idea.

I host parties as well (work stuff) and always keep it central so as not to disadvantage people who live in one end of town.

my opinion only. i'm sure whatever you decide will work fine.

I voted for the west end.

You have indicated that the venue has advantages.

Car pooling seems like a good option, maybe giving a break for the DD, or at that time of the year there's always Operation Red Nose. Cabs can be expensive, but hey it's Xmas and there's only one party like this every year.

Unfortunately, the other problem of no shows is a far more difficult problem. I don't think a $10 charge is probably a sufficient deterrent. I would suggest making it very clear that they will be black listed for future socials unless they give a heads up so that other ladies have the opportunity to attend.

I've got a few extra beds if anyone needs to crash.

• Like 3

All I know is that the street I live on runs east and west. Anything beyond that is new to me. I like exploring new things! ;)

The cost of the ticket is fine with me too.

• Like 5

If a there's a transportation method or willing drivers from downtown to the venue I am in. And paying is really not an issue.

The two of you guys do such a great job still want to say thanks for the 2 I attended and of you taking care of this one as well. Finally couldn't attend the last one and cancelled in order indeed for another lady to go.

Barbara

xxxooo

• Like 2

I dont mind paying either and yes it would incline the ladies who say they are coming to actually come lol...

As for Kanata...well why not :) I could even tour there for an extra day ;)

BJ

• Like 5

I have no troubles paying for a ticket.

I would attend a west end social if there is transporation provided...cab are extremely expensive and taking a bus when you are all pretty up and heels is not really a fun experience, especially around rush hour

• Like 4

Guest S****r

The cost is no issue. Distance might be since it is a weeknight and we have to be at work in the morning.

Just a little clarification. As mentioned already by PistolPete, this place is actually 20 mins from dtown outside of rush hour!

I'm in!!

What is the date so I can plan it out on my Schedule ;) woohoo Party!

BJ

Will let you know soonest. Either Thursday Dec 4th (preferred) or Thursday Dec 11th We need to confirm availability with entertainers.

BTW you mentioned possibly getting accommodation in Kanata. It is likely we can get a deal at a nearby reputable hotel if a few ppl are interested. I still need to confirm if we book this venue!

Will let you know soonest. Either Thursday Dec 4th (preferred) or Thursday Dec 11th We need to confirm availability with entertainers.

BTW you mentioned possibly getting accommodation in Kanata. It is likely we can get a deal at a nearby reputable hotel if a few ppl are interested. I still need to confirm if we book this venue!

I would like that very much :) Please keep me posted!

BJ

• Like 2

I am willing to pay I think is a great idea and having some sort of entertainment would be great.. specially being xmas time, make it a more special event. ..

Also being xmas time transportation issue is even easier. . Operation red nose is available. .. u get to drive there n get driven back to your destination. . While helping a good cause.

• Like 3

Just as general info and not necessarily for the social, I mentioned UBER in my original post. Its a service that replaces taxi and is now available in Ottawa. Here is the website link: https://www.uber.com/ They have apps for Smartphones as well!

• Like 3

Just a quick note ; for everyone that has commented so far, thank you! It's useful for Loneskater and I to have your feedback. We are working on a few details right now and we expect to provide more details within the next 2 days.

Just another thought on the problem of no shows. You've done a number of these events, so do an average of the no shows and overbook to account for them. This may be a little uncharacteristic, because of the possibility of bad weather and the transportation issues.

I still think it's a great idea to try something different, so full speed ahead.

• Like 1