New Area Code 343 Added for City of Ottawa

We have had mandatory 10 digit dialing in eastern Ontario region for a few years now, and a couple of weeks ago, new area code 343 was added.

I saw it pop up for the first time on my phone today, and said, to myself, WTF?

Might take some getting used to, but it's here to stay.

Hi Angela,

I am currently out of the country. Does the change of area affect only Ottawa and the surrounding area? Do you have a date when it comes into effect?

The 343 is an overlay on top of 613, like the 647 is an overlay on 416 in Toronto.

More on new are codes in Canada here:

http://www.canadanewswire.com/en/releases/archive/May2010/17/c4327.html

Good post and link ILG. The overlays are added to facilitate new subscribers in a region (cell, home phone etc). No change to existing subscribers and no change to long distance boundaries.

Hi Angela,

I am currently out of the country. Does the change of area affect only Ottawa and the surrounding area? Do you have a date when it comes into effect?

Came in I believe on May 17th and does not affect existing subscribers, just all new numbers created for Ottawa area.

Additional Comments:

The 343 is an overlay on top of 613, like the 647 is an overlay on 416 in Toronto.

More on new are codes in Canada here:

http://www.canadanewswire.com/en/releases/archive/May2010/17/c4327.html

Thanks - didn't notice this right away...Mutau, I believe this says it all!

Is this because 613 is all taken?

Not completely taken... but the 613 is a growing area and needs to be responsive to the needs of telecom companies. Toronto started this a few years ago when they booted all the outskirt communities (Mississauga, Hamilton etc. etc.) to the 905, keeping 416 to themselves... then when it appeared 416 was running out of numbers, the 647 was born. For the mostpart, 647 is a cell phone area code and the 416 is a land line number... it will probably be the same here.

Here is a good link... pretty much explains all the area codes in Ontario and where they belong... there are also other links on the page to all other provinces!

http://www.areacodehelp.com/canada/ontario_area_codes.shtml

Edited by Old Dog
added link