Strange phone number 000-012-3456

The first time I saw this on my phone, I ignored it.

Catherine57 told me she received a call the other day from an African-American sounding guy who said he was visiting from the States but staying in Gatineau and was making an enquiry for her services. She had this same number on her phone.

Today I saw this number and I answered it. When I asked where he was calling from, he said Ottawa. He didn't sound like he was African-American, so obviously a different guy. I told him I could not see a local number and to call back. He called back but I didn't answer.

Does anyone have any idea why such a number is appearing - are people spoofing their number somehow or perhaps a calling card (I doubt - usually those are based on the 10 digit number for the city they originate from).

It's just weird that in the past 2 days, it's happened 3 times that I know about.

Are we being invaded by aliens, perhaps?

Addendum: Just did some googling on the net and so far what I came up with was it could be someone on Skype or they are spoofing their number so you can't see where they're really calling from - used by pranksters, telemarketers and scammers.

All I know is that I advertise NO BLOCKED NUMBERS. Well, now it's going to include these.

Ladies - I urge you to do the same.

Angela my son does prank calls from up stairs all the time from his Ipod he uses Skype sometimes it comes up 000-000-0000 and sometimes 000-123-4567 he does it to P-off his mother it maybe this

It's Skype. I use it myself. It's basically using your computer as a phone. As long as I'm somewhere (anywhere in Canada or the U.S.) where I can log into my Skype account, I can make calls. I pay $30 for the year and I can make as many outgoing calls as I like to Canada and the U.S. Incoming calls on Skype are not yet available in Canada :(.

Thanks Cheek! Yeah, it makes sense, it's SKYPE. Well, as far as I'm concerned, I'm going to treat any incoming calls like that as blocked numbers.

When my girlfriend calls me from Montreal using Skype, it comes up Private Number (on my home phone) that's why I was surprised to learn it's Skype.

I just find it weird that until 2 days ago, I never heard of this and then all of a sudden, bang, 3 in a row.

I guess it's just a coincidence.

But now I know. Thanks, everyone!

I just find it weird that until 2 days ago, I never heard of this and then all of a sudden, bang, 3 in a row.

I won't answer Skype, Payphones, Blocked calls or calls from a business.

More likely the explosion of iPads in Canada, considering I got a couple as well from people who don't normally use Skype, but try it out on their iPad to annoy me ;)

there is a service you can use that will show a false number when you call from your regular phone . i believe it is an app on the iphone .