Newly moved to Ottawa, SP looking for 2 bedroom apt both to live & work. Many/most ask for working info which is obviously difficult to answer. Prefer downtown area as much as possible. Any info or ideas welcome. Asking for a friend.

Get a friend who has their own business to give your friend a letter of employment with the business letterhead on top and get them to say they work for them. As long as their credit checks out, there should be no problem. This is how a lot of SPs do it if they don't have another legitimate job to verify employment. Or get someone to co-sign.

There are some good places downtown but with Minto properties you have to make at least $35 k a year and not have a criminal record. Plus their buildings are pretty old and not rennovated often. Your friend could also try renting a condo/apartment privately whereas the owner may not have too many questions. It may be best to back it up with the letter of employment.

I am in Toronto, when I got this place I didn't have a job but I was in my previous apartment for 3 years.

They usually ask for a bank statement with your deposits if you can't prove your employment but you can prove income, which is what I showed them for this place when I moved in 2 years ago.

I still have the letter from the contract for shopping channel which I am more then happy to give out. because the website http://www.contractxchange.com has the overnight staff work from home and are contracted from the website contractxchange.com

When I got my apartment, I explained that I was self-employed and they wanted either a tax return or a bank statement showing I had a lot of money. A long-term client ended up being kind enough to co-sign for me.

I would try the Corner of St. Laurent Blvd and brittany Dr. in vanier , 5 min drive from downtown, groceries close by and its a nice area with a little lower rents.

Another good place would be 169 or 170 Lees Ave which are the buildings closet to the Queensway. Not the other ones. The rent was always decent for being downtown and they have 1 or 2 bedroom apts starting at $850/month plus utilities with plenty of parking inside or outdoors. Lots of students live in there. The property managers are nice and the buildings are always well maintained.