When the family pet passes away :(

So Sad! Brought Tears To My Eyes! So Sorry For Your Loss! It Definitely Is Not An Easy Thing To Go Through, Losing A Pet. I Have Had Gone Through 2 Pets Passing! A Cat & A Dog & It Definitely Ain't Easy! Glad Your Family Was Able To Do It On Your Terms & He Is At Peace Now.

• Like 1

My daughter moved out this year, but wanted a dog to replace the one that died. We adopted a dog from a rescue. But the dog is a puppy and we are not sure what it is. She tried to bring it to her apt, but it was barking and is not trained. So we are keeping it at the house. Been a while since we had a puppy. and it is already bigger then the dog that just died. Peeing on the carpets and chewing on things. He is a cute dog, and he want's to play, but the rabbit and cats and other dog are scared of him. Forgot how much work a puppy is, especially since we are not used to larger dogs now. The responsibilities and stress of having to always watch him. Can't really leave the house for long again. Dont' trust him uncrated yet. He is a cute dog and fun, but always needs to be around people. I am sure in a few months he will be a great dog, once he is trained. And he'll be better once he move's to my daughters place. I am thinking that maybe I don't want another dog after the older one dies now. But who knows, makes the place more lively.

My daughter moved out this year, but wanted a dog to replace the one that died. We adopted a dog from a rescue. But the dog is a puppy and we are not sure what it is. She tried to bring it to her apt, but it was barking and is not trained. So we are keeping it at the house. Been a while since we had a puppy. and it is already bigger then the dog that just died. Peeing on the carpets and chewing on things. He is a cute dog, and he want's to play, but the rabbit and cats and other dog are scared of him. Forgot how much work a puppy is, especially since we are not used to larger dogs now. The responsibilities and stress of having to always watch him. Can't really leave the house for long again. Dont' trust him uncrated yet. He is a cute dog and fun, but always needs to be around people. I am sure in a few months he will be a great dog, once he is trained. And he'll be better once he move's to my daughters place. I am thinking that maybe I don't want another dog after the older one dies now. But who knows, makes the place more lively.

Yes a dog is a huge responsibility and each one is very different than the other. I can feel your frustration, my oldest was the hardest, most stubborn dog I've ever encountered, at 12 and after disc surgery she is still non-stop energy. But please don't give up, the biggest reason many dogs are in shelters is from lack of proper training. Many owners misunderstand why a dog is behaving as it does and they give up. If you can afford a trainer I highly recommend one, but research them carefully they aren't all good. Some dogs respond well to crating, my second dog has to be crated when I go out or she'll pee, that is separation anxiety, and the hardest thing to treat. But stick with it and I'm sure you'll end up very happy with your new best friend:) Wishing you the best .

• Like 1

Guest Lep*******1**7

I am not really a pet owner except a cat and dog which were more family pets.

Later in life I had a series of canaries, who died within a year of me getting them. It was sad to see them go as I loved their song and fragility.

More recently I have been witness to the loss of cherished dogs by my sister and a good friend. I was struck to the love that existed between the owner and the particular dogs. They all lived through a lot together and the dog was a constant and loyal companion who didn't ask for much except a bit of love and food.

My heart goes out to those who have recently lost one of their cherished friends!

The new puppy is now big. Not sure what mix he is, but he is already 30 lbs and growing.

Great looking dog, but causing stress in the household with the other animals. chasing the cat and annoying the older dog. Plus he's been chewing on furniture, shoes and destroying all his toys. Been over 12 years since we had to train a puppy. And he is stubborn sometimes. Hopefully he learns to behave himself soon. Cause we don't want to leave him alone too much in case he damages more furniture or other items.

Any hints on how to stop this chewing. We buy him bones and chew toys. He has destroyed most of the stuffed animals and chew toys.

The new puppy is now big. Not sure what mix he is, but he is already 30 lbs and growing.

Great looking dog, but causing stress in the household with the other animals. chasing the cat and annoying the older dog. Plus he's been chewing on furniture, shoes and destroying all his toys. Been over 12 years since we had to train a puppy. And he is stubborn sometimes. Hopefully he learns to behave himself soon. Cause we don't want to leave him alone too much in case he damages more furniture or other items.

Any hints on how to stop this chewing. We buy him bones and chew toys. He has destroyed most of the stuffed animals and chew toys.

I don't want to seem harsh or blame you, but you dog will only learn if you teach him and teach him right. Every dog is different and will respond to training differently. He is chewing, likely because he's bored. You need to tire him out, exercise him more. He is most likely teething as well and could be stressed at being left(separation anxiety) by you his pack leader. Find him a favorite chew and kennel(crate) him with it. Training a dog to be comfortable in a crate is important. The easiest way of doing that is putting him in there with his favorite food/chewy or toy and leaving the door open, praising him, then in time close the door, leaving him for short intervals and praise him for being good in it. Make it a place he'll want to go. Crate training can prevent separation anxiety, which is the hardest issue to solve with a dog and give you peace of mind when the dog is left.

Most dogs are given over to pounds, shelters and rescue orgs because of behavioral issues and more often than not, they are caused by the owners themselves. Good luck, I know it can be frustrating and time consuming but owning and raising a dog isn't easy, cheap or uncomplicated, they are intelligent social beings after all:)

• Like 4

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Its been 5 months since I lost Cody the Prince Of Thieves. He is missed terribly. There is a new puppy in the house now named Pepper. He is a very hyper active dog and smart but refuses to learn to go outside to do his business. So he gets walked and played with and then sent to his crate. Hopefully he will catch on soon before I may have to consider other options. He may have to be fostered out with a trainer for awhile to correct his behavior.

Tonight was another sad night. In February we put the first dog to sleep as was explained in the first post of the thread. Today we had to put our first dog to sleep after 15 years. She was my daughter's first puppy and my wife's constant companion. She loved to sit on someone's lap. The last couple of years she has been developing cataracts and going blind. The last year she was completely blind and death. But she could still manage to get around the house and go outside and come back in the house. She seemed healthy and happy. But when her companion died in February, she went downhill quickly. The new dog was a big puppy that wanted to play all the time and didn't understand why she couldn't play. So she was constantly barking at him. but in the last two weeks she started going around in circles. falling down and doing her bathroom activities in the house :(. The vet said that she may have a brain tumour or something. So it was my wife's decision to have her put to sleep tonight. We called the same vet that we had called for the first dog. But she was on holidays and her partner came instead. It was a very emotional experience for the family. My wife and daughter were busy holding the dog and crying and talking to her. My son had tears in his eyes also. This is the second time in 5 months that we have had to go thru this. She died peacefully and surrounded by her family in home. This vet was good, but not as compassionate as the first one.

House seems very quiet now. The other dog is looking for his playmate :(

Rest in Peace xoxox

like i always say when a loved one passes, whether it be a person or pet, they are all members of the family so the loss is great.

my condolences go out to you and your family.

• Like 1

It's been a while since the two dog's have passed away. We have since then adopted two new dogs. But it's the same. These dogs are a lot more work. Forgot how much work puppies are, expecially when one of them is 40 lbs. The older dogs were well behaved and never crated. These ones need to be crated, and one of them still pee's in the house :(. Hopefully they will calm down with time.

Guest N***he**Ont**y
It's been a while since the two dog's have passed away. We have since then adopted two new dogs. But it's the same. These dogs are a lot more work. Forgot how much work puppies are, expecially when one of them is 40 lbs. The older dogs were well behaved and never crated. These ones need to be crated, and one of them still pee's in the house :(. Hopefully they will calm down with time.

I can feel your pain. I have a minature schnauzer that just turned over a year old and he still thinks the indoors of the house is where he is supposed to do his business. Tried every trick I know off and after six months he still goes in the house.

Notoriously stubborn those miniature schnauzers are. They need to have their space restricted by crate or smaller area while alone.

I have had several over the years.