No johns charged in Ontario two months after new prostitution law enacted

No johns charged in Ontario two months after new prostitution law enacted

DANIEL PROUSSALIDIS & IKE RAI | SUN NEWS NETWORK

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/politics/archives/2015/02/20150204-151017.html

TORONTO - No charges have been laid against johns in Ontario even though it became a crime to buy sex from a prostitute about two months ago, Sun News Network has learned.

Ontario's Office of the Attorney General says by January 26 of this year, courts had received 14 charges under new Criminal Code provisions dealing with prostitution that came into effect in early December.

Most of those charges are under two new provisions to deal with pimping, but police have also laid four charges for the new crime of advertising the sale of sexual services.

However, none of the charges are connected to the actual "purchase of sexual services" - something the feds made illegal in hopes of reducing the demand for prostitutes.

Asked about the stats from her own officials, Ontario's attorney general seemed caught off-guard.

"Listen, it's not the information that I have," said Madeleine Meilleur. "So, we are going to check on that and we'll come back to you."

Pressed for an answer, Meilleur insisted the law is being enforced in Ontario.

"Of course it's to the police to lay charges," she said. "And we are not directing the police how to do their work. But the law has been passed, and we are applying the new law."

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has said she has "grave concerns" about the new anti-prostitution law, and has asked Meilleur's office to prepare options in case the law is found to be unconstitutional.

Still, Wynne has also said, for now, the law should be enforced as is.

Federal Justice Minister Peter MacKay has called the criminalizing of the purchase of sex a key component of a "made in Canada" approach toward fighting prostitution.

Even so, the lack of charges against johns in Canada's most populous province doesn't seem to faze him.

"Whenever a new law comes into effect there may be a lag time," said MacKay in Ottawa. "There may be a bit of a period of adjustment."

The minister also insists Canada's new anti-prostitution law is effective, even before charges have been laid under one of its key provisions.

"Keep in mind this is a whole package of not only one particular law, but it also comes with funding and programming to assist those involved in prostitution in finding an exit strategy," he said. "So it is starting to have an effect and impact."

It's not clear yet if criminal charges against johns have been laid against johns outside of Ontario.

• Like 7

The new law started as a sham and still is one... the conservatives wanted this new law to pander to their right wing base and to try and corner the opposition into coming out in favor of legalization so they could peg them as sexy trafficking or underage prostitution.

Just my Opinion

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

Clearly the 'problem' has been solved! We have no more perverts in Ontario (except possibly me) - I plan to move to Nova Scotia and stir up some shit in Peter, the pervert, MacKay's riding!!!

Thank you Emily J for bringing this news to our attention.

• Like 1

Clearly the 'problem' has been solved! We have no more perverts in Ontario (except possibly me) - I plan to move to Nova Scotia and stir up some shit in Peter, the pervert, MacKay's riding!!!

Thank you Emily J for bringing this news to our attention.

We'd love to have you, I for one love pervs:)

Sadly the conservatives even with mud on their faces won't admit a mistake.

• Like 1