Massage parlour, body rub investigation leads to 11 deportations

Ottawa police say 11 women will be deported after a human trafficking investigation into commercial massage parlours and body rub facilities. Police say they investigated 20 locations from April 27 to 29 resulting in 11 bylaw charges for improper licensing.

Canada Border Services Agency also detained 11 women for immigration-related matters who appeared for admissibility and detention hearings last week. Removal orders were then issued for each woman. All 11 were found to be working without a valid work permit, police said.

No criminal charges were laid but police said the border services investigation continues, which could spark more charges. Ottawa police also said additional investigations were launched after the three-day bust.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...ions-1.3067083

• Like 6

The ALO group have City of Ottawa licenses for bylaw purposes. Not sure where all the body rub parlours that were visited are, but I would be suspicious that the deportation orders were associated with the Asian places. Just my speculation. It would be interesting to see if there are any other charges brought forward from the inspections - no mention of patrons being charged at this stage.

Guest M***ell***A

Ummm...this means stay away from human trafficking rings...

Just because the ladies didn't have the proper visas doesn't necessarily mean they were trafficked or being forced to work. It stands to reason that they were just working illegally like they might in any other profession. Hopefully they give follow up information

• Like 3

Just because the ladies didn't have the proper visas doesn't necessarily mean they were trafficked or being forced to work. It stands to reason that they were just working illegally like they might in any other profession. Hopefully they give follow up information

Yep. I'm sure there are plenty of people working who technically shouldn't be in all sorts of professions who could be subject to the same measures if someone in authority chose to do so.

This sounds to me like a bylaw investigation that progressed into a "What else can we hit them with?" situation.

Many/most of these girls don't even speak English/French. I think they're here to make some money and then return home. Someone pays to fly them here then looks after them while here so I'm guessing they pocket maybe 50% of the fee. I say stick with the established agencies and indies who advertise here and can speak English or French to me.

I doubt this was bylaw related at all. April 1 was the implementation date for new time limits on foreign temporary workers, mostly in fast-food. CBSA has been doing sweeps like this in all industries noted for abusing foreign labor. Given the timing, that's the likely reason, although the attention to the specific industry may have resulted from the human trafficking arrests in early april.