Peter MacKay, justice minister, to leave federal politics

Not really a major shock. Harper is the Captain of the SS Titanic right now. If his high profile ministers are walking away, he'll probably have his ass handed to him in the next election.

• Like 2

My guess is MacKay envisioned himself as next leader of the CPC after Harper. But his bungling ruled him out as having any chance of being party leader or for that matter even a Minister (is the CPC going to even win) or even MP(could he win his seat...so he's leaving before he gets humiliated and his ass handed to him in the next election. Rats fleeing a sinking ship.

Too bad this didn't happen pre C 36

RG

If only he could take C-36, and the dangers it presents, with him. I hope his ignorance, stupidity and lack of compassion comes back to bite him in his (probably temporary) stint in the private sector.

Let's not forget that with the next election, pension rules are changing, and newly elected MPs will have to wait longer to get their fat pension $$$$. So, yeah, family reasons, sure enough, and money $$$$$.

Just saying....

Any which way, good riddance!

though I'm guessing, that all of these long serving MPs will have their pension rights grandfathered, as they wouldn't vote money out of their OWN pockets, just the pockets of others as with all politicians. So not t'inkin' that money was the major issue.