Glass ceiling bullshit.

The head of the IMF, which is bringing a sovereign country, Greece, to its knees, is Christine Lagarde.

The head of the Federal Reserve, in charge of US monetary policy, who is arguably more powerful than the President, is Janet Yellen.

Domestically, Beverley McLachlin is the chief justice of the SCC, which seems to battle the Harper government for power in this country.

Glass ceiling? I call bullshit.

So because you can cherry pick a handful of women in top positions, that negates the evidence that women are under represented in top executive ranks? I don't get it.

• Like 4

Not a very compelling presentation os statistics to address what is commonly know to be an undeniable truth. There always has been a glass ceiling, albeit there is progress, slow but steady. You data might point toward that progress but fails to convince any thinking person that your conclusion has any merit.

Glass ceilings is why i prefer being an sp.

It is only less prevalent in occupations that are female dominated, and even then, some places find a way. Promotion and advancement i would say is still the exception, not the norm.

If it didn't exist, then why, if we see ensemble casts on tv, or media interviewing people for any reason at all, they choose an uneven number of people to show, and the majority will be male. again, the exception will be a female storyline (Hot in Cleveland, 2 broke girls, etc) where we know going in it is a girl show, and probably less likely to deal with serious stuff, like crime or politics.

so now i have pointed it out, go start counting lol.

3 posts related to women all after midnite? Have you been drinking again?������

But of course!

Oh, I forgot Angela Merkel, in charge of the economic engine of Europe for ten years running now, who duels head-to-head with Vladimir Putin.

And more here in Canada: the premiers of the three most financially powerful provinces in the country, Ontario/British Columbia/Alberta, containing 60% of the population of Canada, are female.

So I'm still not seeing that glass ceiling. Maybe I need grey-tinted glasses. lol

Guest *t**e**x

Number of countries in the world: approx 196

Number of women leading countries: 22

This feels like the behaviour of a troll trying to provoke people in an effort to validate himself. As someone who has routinely danced with this tribe in other forums, I can tell you there is little to no effort trying to use facts as they will be ignored or "discredited." The troll's next step will be to start calling people names and, if he can get away with it, harassing and subsequently threatening people. In he end, when he's spent, the troll will try to claim the higher moral ground and depart, saying he's no longer interested in arguing and wants cooler heads to prevail. This way he will get to surrender without looking like he's a coward.

• Like 1

This feels like the behaviour of a troll trying to provoke people in an effort to validate himself. As someone who has routinely danced with this tribe in other forums, I can tell you there is little to no effort trying to use facts as they will be ignored or "discredited." The troll's next step will be to start calling people names and, if he can get away with it, harassing and subsequently threatening people. In he end, when he's spent, the troll will try to claim the higher moral ground and depart, saying he's no longer interested in arguing and wants cooler heads to prevail. This way he will get to surrender without looking like he's a coward.

fortunately, this is lyla, not the other type of place, where no one gets away with that, and mod has a zero tolerance for it as well. also unlike the other types of places, where the ones in charge tend to be the one most likely to behave this way, or encourage it in others?

:)

i don't dispute the last part tho, announcement of saying 'no longer interested' does occur.

Actually, I'm quite serious. If women can achieve these heights, as high as anyone can go, then really, where are the barriers?

As for MRA, meh, there's not much for men to whine about, other than better child access post divorce, true gender equality on the front lines, and a couple other things. MRA's cry about female teachers having sex with their male students; I defer to Van Halen:

Actually, I'm quite serious. If women can achieve these heights, as high as anyone can go, then really, where are the barriers?

Since I always like to give the benefit of the doubt, I'll assume you are serious, in which case the clarification is a simple one. The essence of the term glass ceiling isn't saying that a woman (or a minority) can't make it to a top position, just that there are barriers to advancement that make it more difficult and less common for them.

Saying that there is no glass ceiling because there are examples of women who are in high (even top) executive positions would be like saying there's no racism in the United States because the President is black.

But I suspect you likely know all this.

• Like 1