No, not the television show. Real people that did extraordinary things. We all forget from time to time just how much a person can accomplish, and how deeply inspirational pondering this can be. So I'm curious, who - past or present - do you view as a hero?

Off the top of my head, some of my heros are:

Mother Theresa - that woman was beyond charitable.

Ghandi - for proving war doesn't have to be the answer.

Terry Fox - for not giving up without a hell of a fight.

All the victims of WW2 and any other soldier who bravely fights for an honorable cause.

Rosa Parks and all who stood up with her for racial equality.

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest S**a*Q

My mom's been faced with physical issues, back pain, migraines, fibromyalgia and everything since I was in elementary school. She's on tons of meds and has had numerous operations, however, you'd never know it. She walks stiff, and sometimes, if you know her (immediate family) you can tell when she's in pain, but no one else does. She stays happy for us, even though I know inside she hurts almost all the time...

I've only seen mom cry once, when I moved out... :( My mom is the strongest woman I know, and even when I'm calling her and whining about things that are nothing compared to what she deals with, she still comforts me.

My hero is my mom.

My Father, a very well educated lawyer, who immigrated his young family to Canada, and had go through law school AGAIN in Canada....... 5 full years, while he raised his young family....and he worked nights....

He was also the one who kept his young son, motivated and focused....and kept my feet firmly on the ground......to this very day....

One story that stuck with me to this day was when i had JUST landed a job as a pilot with a Canadian Airline, and I was very pleased with myself......I was thinking I was all that....lol....

Went for a drive with my dad, and had to gas up......at the gas station, when a man came up and started to pump gas ( yes, full service, lol ) I turned to my dad saying,

"look at the uneducated bum filling our car, what a life"

At WHICH POINT, my father near RIPPED my head off, letting me have it, telling me to NEVER, EVER look down my nose AT ANYONE.....EVER.....it's a long way down, and chances are I will fall in......always be respectful of people, because you do not know their situation....

Never forgot that comment, and shared that exact lesson with my boys when the time was right......

Simply an amazing man..............

I would have to include my father as well. He spent the majority of his life keeping people safe and rescuing them from harm while taking care of his family and putting up with me, no small task. Maybe one day I'll have the courage to tell him.

Martin Luther King-Faced incredible adversity and never resorted to or condoned violence no matter how easy it might have been. And he always knew his story was going to end with a bullet.

Terry Fox-Incredible testament to endurance and the power of the human spirit.

The Unknown Soldier-a single coffin is the embodiement of everyone one sacrificed and died in the name of freedom and liberty during the two World Wars, Korea and all those who have pursued freedom for those ruled over by murderers. Soldiers, doctors, nurses, humanitarians, the Unknown Soldier represents all of them.

And a high school teacher who truly showed me the importance of opening my mind. We kept in touch for a short while after I graduated but I'll never forget hpw she taught me to see things from all perspectives before judging.

Guest s******ecan****

Nurses

Generally underpaid (compared to how important they are) work long hours, see a lot of suffering, how they do it I honestly don't know.

I know our (or any) health system would be completely lost without them.

Not to mention get puked on, and occassionally get other fluids and excrements on them! Nurses are the front-line of healthcare, and they really should get more thanks.

Posted via Mobile Device

All moms are heros.

They carry us for 9 tough months. They give us birth with excruciating pain for hours. They breast feed us for months and they love us for life.

They teach us how to walk, how to talk. They nourish us, charish us, love us, even sacrifice their lives to save us. Their love is unconditional and is the strongest purest real love ever existed in this whole universe.

Moms are the real heros in this world. To simply put moms are sources of life and eternal love and sacrifice where there is no other hero to match.

Bless them all.

• Like 1

Well we can all say our parents

I want to say from an Ottawa perspective 2 people who have done more for this City than anyone I know

Max Keeping has don't more for sick kids and under privalledge kids in this City than anyone Cheo being his biggest effort

Max sits on many nonprofit groups and volunteered over the years giving many hours of his time back to the Community

Dave Smith

Opened the youth drug treatment centre years ago for day program now has invested in the new facility to help women fight alchol and drug addiction

Dave as Max has given so much to the less fortunate and needed in this City that both these Ammasdors of Goodwill may not be heroes but in my Books have given back more than they will take back from this City

Posted via Mobile Device

Sarah

I totally know what you are talking about and my mom suffers of the same and just like yours is a strong woman with a great spirit :)

My mom's been faced with physical issues, back pain, migraines, fibromyalgia and everything since I was in elementary school. She's on tons of meds and has had numerous operations, however, you'd never know it. She walks stiff, and sometimes, if you know her (immediate family) you can tell when she's in pain, but no one else does. She stays happy for us, even though I know inside she hurts almost all the time...

I've only seen mom cry once, when I moved out... :( My mom is the strongest woman I know, and even when I'm calling her and whining about things that are nothing compared to what she deals with, she still comforts me.

My hero is my mom.

I must agree about Mahatma Gumby. Not only did he have the cojones to deliver India at her hour of need, he also did it with his pony pal Pokey.

Chuck Norris. Remember Hurricane Katrina? After it hit New Orleans, Chuck went down to the Gulf to face it mano a hurricano. If not for Chuck, Lethbridge would be on the Gulf of Mexico and we would have oil covered Albertans washing up on the shore. No one ever thanks Chuck for his acts of godlike strength.

Barbie. She's 6 feet tall, has a 38 inch bust, 19 inch waist and 32 inch hips. I had a couple when I was a kid to keep my GI Joes company when they were on leave from fighting in 'Nam. Without Barbie, my GI Joes would have had to resort to masturbating in the field (hereafter known as the Combat Jack) thus jeopardizing their missions and possibly compromising the cool uniforms I bought for them.

Big Bird. He had the strength of character to continue on despite the loss of his favourite human, Mr Hooper the grocery store guy and the fact that no one believed he knew Mr Snuffleupagus. He felt the derision of Oscar the irascible denizen of a trash receptacle but he held his head high. God Bless you Big Bird.

Sgt Schultz. He worked for Colonel Klink. He was constantly surrounded by the enemy. Hogan and the boys constantly made fun of him, but in the end despite the fact that Schultz was a bit of a bumbler, we loved him.

Marcel Marceau. Before Marcel, no one truly appreciated mime. After Marcel, we know why we didn't appreciate mime. Marcel became of the focus of our collective loathing. It took his courage to discover a thing that we hate. Thanks Marcel.

Smurfette. Let's take a look at the facts. One million smurfs, 999,999 of them are guys. Smurfette lived in the best house and she always had nice clothes. You do the math.

All soldiers for their bravery whether in combat or not... policemen, firemen, paramedics, nurses, and doctors... i dont call too many individuals heroes, but anyone who puts their life on the line for others... Sept 11, 2001 was full of heroes.... almost forgot 1... my mom and all single moms who struggle to raise a child on their own...

My son is my hero. Everytime I would leave for some god forsaken country, he would never complain, never ask why. He would hug me and tell me he loved me not knowing if I would come home alive or not. I still to this day wonder what a horrific thing it would be for him to watch me leave, it still breaks my heart. He's now eighteen, and ready to start his career in the Royal Navy, I'm very proud of him and really look forward to seeing him in the white uniform. However, when I look at him all I can see is the little boy crying and saluting his father as he went off to do his Queen's bidding...he is and will always be my hero!

Any of our service men and woman, especially those in Afghanistan putting their lives on the line day in and day out. We complain about the summer heat, and no a/c, those soldiers are in full combat gear in an environment so hot that our summer heat wave looks like a nice spring day

Also anyone in the public safety (law enforcement/firefighter/ambulance etc) and health care fields

And as a side note, there was a repatriation ceremony not that long back (one of too many) I was on the Highway of Heroes Every bridge crossing the Highway of Hereos, there were vehicles, firetrucks, police cars and people standing. Very emotional to see.

RG

• Like 1

firefighters, it takes major balls of steel to run in a burning building to rescue total strangers without hesitation. they put there life on he line everytime they get a call.

and of course are men and women of the canadian army.