Drive-thru favorites....

chicken fries at burger king .

the italian bmt at subway .

double mozzarella burger at a&w .

dont take this as the gospel , but i believe nates is relocating to bank street .

Mcdonalds Angus burger with real cheddar (hate processed cheese) or A&W sirloin uncle burger with cheddar. I rarely eat fries but if I do.. it's Mcdonalds.

I used to eat chili cheese fries at Toby's in Toronto...now gone :(

Wendys new salads rock!

Toby's is no more??? That is sad.

Fries - I think KFC's are the best, right out of the fryer - they have that little extra crunch.

But my old stand-by - Wendy's Fries with two small scoops of chili and a scoop of cheese - delicious.

And of course a Wendy's Double-cheeseburger......

Toby's is no more??? That is sad.

I sit corrected (I'm sitting not standing :butt:) but I just looked it up and apparently there's still one at Bathurst/college.. and there are a few in Vancouver. I used to go to the one in the Eaton's centre years ago.

But my old stand-by - Wendy's Fries with two small scoops of chili and a scoop of cheese - delicious.

I have to admit.. this is almost as good at Toby's

ARBY'S.... used to drive to Kingston to load up on... Beef n cheddars, Jamocha shake, and blue berry turnovers that crumble and leave a mess all over you and the drivers seat!... there's one in Kanata now off of Hazeldean, i believe

This is kinda making me pine for the old days when the fast food restaurants of days gone by seem to re-surface in my mind....

Do you remember...

The Red Barn... in Canada way before Mickey D's

Roy Rogers Restaurants... Almost Egggggzackly like Arby's but you sat on barrels at the table

Burger Chef... Another chain that faded into oblivion

Arthur Treacher's Fish 'n' Chips - a chain now wiped from the face of the planet

Long John Silvers - There were four in Canada in the KW area...

Ponderosa Steak House ... thin steaks but dirt cheap

Mothers Pizza... big chain in southern Ontario, the only place open after the bars closed.

St Hubert original coleslaw!!!!!! YUMMMM

Speaking of "original" - when I was a kid, we used to get take-out from the original restaurant on St. Hubert Street in Montreal.

Yum!

Or Fullers restaurant on Richmond Road, we always stopped in there after being into the quarts at the Chaudiere :) There was these young lads that would "dined and dash " all the time, the waitress's would simply laugh it off.

This is kinda making me pine for the old days when the fast food restaurants of days gone by seem to re-surface in my mind....

Do you remember...

Roy Rogers Restaurants... Almost Egggggzackly like Arby's but you sat on barrels at the table

Burger Chef... Another chain that faded into oblivion

Arthur Treacher's Fish 'n' Chips - a chain now wiped from the face of the planet

Long John Silvers - There were four in Canada in the KW area...

Mothers Pizza... big chain in southern Ontario, the only place open after the bars closed.

Or Fullers restaurant on Richmond Road, we always stopped in there after being into the quarts at the Chaudiere :) There was these young lads that would "dined and dash " all the time, the waitress's would simply laugh it off.

Yes, and the Lucky Key Chinese Food restaurant on Carling at Merivale.

I once did a dine and dash at the Mug 'n Burger at Bayshore when I was 17.

Those were the days.....quarts at the Chaud!.

Geez this talk is giving me more flashbacks, and whetting my appetite too.

Hoagie House (cheese steak hoagies were great) back in my high school days in Kingston

Fat Alberts pizza (going way back, pre high school days)-first one out in Bell's Corners.

RG

Do you remember...

These 3 were often visited by my family.. mothers pizza was a must for birthdays as they'd take your pic with a polaroid camera and give you the shot.

Geez this talk is giving me more flashbacks, and whetting my appetite too.

Hoagie House (cheese steak hoagies were great) back in my high school days in Kingston

Fat Alberts pizza (going way back, pre high school days)-first one out in Bell's Corners.

RG

It's ironic that you mentioned Fat Albert's... When I moved to Ottawa 4 years ago I began my search for Fat Albert's, and found the one on Bank. The one thing I remember about Ottawa when I came here on trips when I was a teenager was that there were Fat Alberts all over the city... there was no need to look, they were everywhere!

Ponderosa....great memories. As kids, we thought it was the cat's ass! Loved the salad bar!

I think it was the first chain restaurant with a salad bar... before that, the veggies or salad you got, were the veggies and salad they served....

I stayed across the street three times , Yes it was on Rideau

The third time is was close

I heard it was a land mark ....

My understanding its been there for years !!!

There this Cherry drink that was there

, ohhh mine it was GOOD

This talk about food gave me a flashback to years ago when I lived in Ottawa. Is Nate's Deli still going (I believe it is/was on Rideau Street)

RG

Yeah, I agree with PistolPete. The A&Ws from yesteryear were great. You'd pull into the parking lot, find an open space, and order from your very own order-board, complete with intercom. Then they'd come with your tray of food which they would hook onto your partially opened window. I was always worried that the tray would go crashing down onto the pavement, but it never did. A teenburger, onion rings, and a large rootbeer were what I would always order. Sometimes an apple turnover too, if I was really hungry. All of them tasted great. Then when finished, you'd hit a button on the order board and a little orange light would start blinking on top of it. Their cue that you were done and needed your tray picked up. Those were indeed the days. I've since had many teenburgers but they just don't taste the same as they did back then.:(:confused::-(

Alpha...

Before the buttons and all the other things, your ordering mechanism was you headlights. You would pull in, turn your headlights off, decide what you wanted and then flash your headlights ... and again when you were done, they would retrieve the tray with the same signal.

I remember going in a station wagon and there were 5 trays hanging from the windows... front and back passenger and driver's side PLUS the rear window... with a family of six only my youngest brother didn't get his own tray....

Alpha...

Before the buttons and all the other things, your ordering mechanism was you headlights. You would pull in, turn your headlights off, decide what you wanted and then flash your headlights ... and again when you were done, they would retrieve the tray with the same signal.

I remember going in a station wagon and there were 5 trays hanging from the windows... front and back passenger and driver's side PLUS the rear window... with a family of six only my youngest brother didn't get his own tray....

Really??? That's funny!! I guess the order boards were quite the innovation when they came out. I can just picture the station wagon in my mind, LOL. Thanks for sharing that Old Dog.

Peters Drive In

Calgary Alberta 16 ave NW

stop in every year we go skiing in banff

great burgers and onion rings

Speaking of back in the day..

Did women ever wear rollerskates at fast food places in Ottawa?

Although I've never witnessed it, I think they did at the old A&Ws that PistolPete, Old Dog, and I were talking about. Not sure if they did in Ottawa or not. I think PistolPeter and Old Dog are both in Ottawa, one of them will probably ring in with an answer.

The A&W`s that I grew up going to in SW Ontario all had the rollerskating waitresses (no guys allowed).... it died in the early to mid 70`s but re-emerged when the chain relaunched and re-invented itself back in the late 70`s and into the early 80`s. Quite a few of my friends worked at the one that we frequented.

The one advantage to the roller skates above and beyond the novelty was quicker service and you could chase cars that tried to drive away with trays and frosted mugs!