Finding You Are Often Receiving Bad Customer Service?

Maybe it's because you're a bad customer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/matt-walsh/bad-customer-service_b_3799574.html

This is a customer service job and there are a lot of parallels to draw from, particularly the nonsense idea that the customer is somehow superior to the service worker ("the customer is always right"). Anyone who has ever worked customer service whether it be fast food, call centers or more personal work can tell you: you can love your job but absolutely loathe some of your customers.

Why is that? Well chances are good that they are simply bad customers. Maybe they've let the phrase "the customer is always right" go to their heads. It's a brilliant phrase that oversimplifies to the point of absurdity. The customer and the service worker are human beings, and humans are not always right.

Some customers get a little too self-important and we've all seen it no matter what jobs we've worked in our lives. We have all known (and probably even been) that customer at some point. I'm the customer and I am paying for this and I want it my way!! Just like a child throwing a tantrum, bad customers exhibit similar behaviors and attitudes.

I say on my website clearly that when you book an appointment that time is guaranteed with payment, but it's your attitude and hygiene that really determine how that time goes. In other words, don't be a bad customer. All too often you find clients who forget that we have every right to refuse them and while they are busy crying foul over the effect (refusal) they neglect to consider the cause (bad attitude, bad hygiene, etc).

Am I saying bad experiences are all the customer's fault? No, that's absurd. However sometimes people really are just a sh*t customer and they ought to address their underlying entitlement/sexist/whatever issues because that stuff is seeping through and ruining things (likely in all areas of their life because these behaviors do not exist in a vacuum).

Just like the person in the article pitching a fit over ketchup, every bad customer has their own issues going on that they are probably not dealing with and thus they will continue to be a bad customer the minute things don't go their way. These behaviors have surprisingly little to do with the trigger, which could be anything, so it's best not to take it personally when you encounter a bad customer.

Food for thought ...

• Like 4

Actually, I don't want to be a customer in this case, I always trying to avoid this "client - provider" approach.

Yes, it is business and money are involved. But after my envelope is placed in right place, I prefer both of us to forget about this and just enjoy pleasurable time together. I always say to the Lady that I don't want to be "served", I want her to have a good time the same way as I do. Usually it works well.

• Like 3

The concept that the customer is always right was never intended to suggest that a irrational customer could never be wrong of course they can be and often are...

The customer service intention of the concept is to encourage the employee dealing with a customer to approach the person from the perspective that the goal is to see the issue from the client's perspective so that they can look for options that will solve the customers concern and maintain the client for the future.

It suggests that while it may in fact be easy to pick apart the clients position and expose how wrong the client may be that to approach it from that perspective is counterproductive and likely will reduce the chance of a continued business relationship.

Now when a customer crosses the line of decency in their behavior or presents a health or safety concern for the service provider or others of course the service imperative should no longer be the driving concern... this may not be the customer relationship you wish to preserve so you cut your loses deal with the person respectfully and professionally to de-escalate the situation and exit from the relationship.

Kate's point is an excellent one and highlights the fact that we often get the service we deserve...and I guess occasionally we get a higher level of service then we have a right to expect. The ketchup lady is an asshole there is a special place heaven for service providers who deal with these situations.

Just my Opinion

Chemistry, chemistry and more chemistry. I've done my research and had good communication, when the door opens I tend to know pretty quickly if there is any chemistry. When it's not there it's really no ones fault just the way it is, I pay what's due and split no harm no foul. Staying would never make sense to me. Only happened once or twice but those are the chances one takes. Might make me a bad client but if so, so be it.

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I once read something about our brains not processing negatives (like don't, can't etc) Also the last word you say is more likely to be remembered and processed (that is why people like to have the last word).

Example: 'Don't forget to pick up milk'. The brain processes 'forget' and ignores the don't. If you say 'Remember to pick up milk', the person is more likely to do that as there are no negatives in the sentence.

When ketchup lady says 'no ketchup' the listeners brain is receiving only 'ketchup', quickly processes that and she gets ketchup. What people have to do is say something like 'without ketchup' (although that is hit or miss as I tried this myself) or 'can you leave the ketchup off the burger'. The listener would hear 'off the burger' and if they forget what to leave off, they at least know there has to be follow-up as they know SOMETHING has to be left off the burger.

It's not about the minimum wage earners being stupid or whatever, it's about how the mind processes and takes in information.

But ketchup lady is still a short-fused biotch.

• Like 3