Social Responsibility

Guest s******ecan****

Whatever you want to call this, a hobby, a business, a professional service etc, the fact is most of us enjoy it immensely.

Certainly the clients do because hard earned cash is freely exchanged for the pleasure of spending time with a professional SP.

I have also read many comments over the years by SP's who say they love their business and the work, heavens knows I'm not sure one could last long in this business if you didn't.

Having said that if you're like me one thing always lurks at the back of your mind to put a dose of reality into one of the very real risks we all run in the course of our pursuits. That is the spectre of STI/STDs.

To me its important to act responsibly for yourselves, and your (clients, colleagues, fellow hobbiests, etc) and get tested on a regular basis.

For those who are interested and I hope that is everyone I have included two links.

This is an excellent article about the importance of getting tested, I encourage all to read it.

The second link is a directory of sorts for testing clinics and policies for each of the provinces and territories. All of the provincial links seem current save SK so I have provided a seperate link for SK here.

All of the provinces from what I can see offer toll free helplines (anonymous) where you can get information, but not all of the provinces offer anonymous testing.

Please when commenting on this thread do not feel the need to state "I've been tested and I'm fine". I wouldn't want everyone to feel the need to use this thread as a way of broadcasting their purity or to mistakenly draw conclusions from those who do not comment on it.

What a great post and I could not agree more. My health, my family's health and my valuable clients are always top of mind.

I just had a complete package af tests on Friday and do so twice a year. You can't be to careful and thanks for a great reminder.

I[ believe in testing, but believe it or not, I have to argue with the doctors most times. The typical reaction I get when asking for tests is, "But you're in a wheelchair, why do you need a test? " To whit my response is, "Because my sexlife, and yes, I do have one involves sex with multiple women, some of whom I don't know too well, and I'm trying to be responsible and safe here, nows, would you please order the damn tests? sheesh." lol Even doctors stereotype disabled men as asexual... it's no wonder women outside the hobby have issues .

uote=scottthecanuck;164336]Whatever you want to call this, a hobby, a business, a professional service etc, the fact is most of us enjoy it immensely.

Certainly the clients do because hard earned cash is freely exchanged for the pleasure of spending time with a professional SP.

I have also read many comments over the years by SP's who say they love their business and the work, heavens knows I'm not sure one could last long in this business if you didn't.

Having said that if you're like me one thing always lurks at the back of your mind to put a dose of reality into one of the very real risks we all run in the course of our pursuits. That is the spectre of STI/STDs.

To me its important to act responsibly for yourselves, and your (clients, colleagues, fellow hobbiests, etc) and get tested on a regular basis.

For those who are interested and I hope that is everyone I have included two links.

This is an excellent article about the importance of getting tested, I encourage all to read it.

The second link is a directory of sorts for testing clinics and policies for each of the provinces and territories. All of the provincial links seem current save SK so I have provided a seperate link for SK here.

All of the provinces from what I can see offer toll free helplines (anonymous) where you can get information, but not all of the provinces offer anonymous testing.

Please when commenting on this thread do not feel the need to state "I've been tested and I'm fine". I wouldn't want everyone to feel the need to use this thread as a way of broadcasting their purity or to mistakenly draw conclusions from those who do not comment on it.

I[ believe in testing, but believe it or not, I have to argue with the doctors most times.

I've encountered this every time I go to get tested, and have my entire life, at least before entering 'the biz'. I've had to actually argue with doctors before and force them to test me, because they'd say 'you're not high risk'. I'd be like, um..........I have sex. That means there is a risk. So test me you jerks!!! I could never believe it, I'm trying to be responsible and they'd try to talk me out of it!!! At least I've never let them win!

Guest W***ledi*Time

... it's an argument every time. I can only assume they must have explicit instructions to not clog up the health-care system with common-sense preventative measures. Don't accept "no" for an answer -- and always double-check that the authorization for testing is properly filled out before you leave -- that's another cute, and seemingly standard, trick for limiting access to this important service.

... it's an argument every time. I can only assume they must have explicit instructions to not clog up the health-care system with common-sense preventative measures. Don't accept "no" for an answer -- and always double-check that the authorization for testing is properly filled out before you leave -- that's another cute, and seemingly standard, trick for limiting access to this important service.

What I find annoying is, on the 1 have we have the government, aids/std folks sayinfg in PSAs, "be responsible, If you're going to engage in anything that may elevate your risk, get tested regUarly" Then we have dpctors ddeciding we don't need tests.

Guest s******ecan****
What I find annoying is, on the 1 have we have the government, aids/std folks sayinfg in PSAs, "be responsible, If you're going to engage in anything that may elevate your risk, get tested regUarly" Then we have dpctors ddeciding we don't need tests.

The sad fact is that our "free" medicare system is not free in any meanigful sense of the word since we pay for it in 3 ways

1) Higher taxes (this also hides the true cost of health care since there is a lack of trasnperancy.

2) rationing of resources (probably why these Dr's are reluctant to do the tests since they constantly being admonished about the scarcity of resources

3) artificial barriers to access to leading edge technologies and treatments (really part of the rationing problem but significant enough that it should be considered seperately.

Don't get me wrong I think our system has many benefits, I just hate the fact that its become somewhat sacred, so much so that we are not even able to have a mature debate in this country about ways to reform the system.

I've encountered this every time I go to get tested, and have my entire life, at least before entering 'the biz'. I've had to actually argue with doctors before and force them to test me, because they'd say 'you're not high risk'. I'd be like, um..........I have sex. That means there is a risk. So test me you jerks!!! I could never believe it, I'm trying to be responsible and they'd try to talk me out of it!!! At least I've never let them win!

I also had this problem, with a regular doctor at my walkin clinic, (where all my records are). I had NO problem at all in getting almost every single thing checked including that trachy one I cant pronounce, and BV lol, at an STD clinic. In my city, (and they don't have one in every city in the lower mainland, only 3-4 I think), it is held twice a week for about 3 hours, and it is first come first servced sign up, and it is completely free and completely anonymous if you want to be anonymous.

Not only that, but they check for HepB and provide the shots for it, if you want. If you qualify, you could also get some other shots which I forget. But the main point is, there is no argument and no problem, and they are there with sexual health expertise, and if you want, there are free condoms and lubes to take away with you!

I had not gone there until this year, and am so glad I did. I highly recommend finding a similar clinic in your area. It isn't the most discrete, I suppose, when you think about it because you are sitting there for one reason, unlike sitting in a doctors office, but what the heck.

For testing or other work related issues the local community health center is my destination of choice. The nurses who work there go above and beyond to look after my health and are far better than any Dr I've had yet.

Yes get tested, get your shots and protect your health with up to date information about STI risks.

Guest s******ecan****
The nurses who work there go above and beyond to look after my health and are far better than any Dr I've had yet.

Whether its a clinic, the hospital, or anywhere I always prefer a nurse over a Dr. We would probably get better care and save a lot of $$$ if we empowered nurses more.