Six degrees of separation

We've all heard about the six degrees of separation; "the theory that everyone and everything is six or fewer steps away, by way of introduction, from any other person in the world, so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made to connect any two people in a maximum of six steps."

This is especially true with Facebook and other social media platforms, which brings me to the subject of this thread.

Upon looking at a friend's Facebook profile, I saw pictures of his kid with a lady that seemed awfully familiar. Clicked on a few links and tagged pictures and found myself on the lady's Facebook profile and sure enough, she is the child's mother, the ex of my friend and a well-know, well established SP in my area.

What a bummer. I've been entertaining the thought of visiting that SP for some time now, but with this new found information, my gut feeling is telling me I should stay away from her, just to avoid any potential issues.

Am I paranoing here or should I really trust my instincts here? Kinda bummed and confused all at once :(

Well if it were me, I'd stay away, if only because she is the ex of your friend. Not worth losing a friend over an encounter.

If she was someone you knew/know in civilian life, but no issues of coming between friends, and you really wanted to see her, I'd say yes, with the major caveat, tell her before hand you knew/know her in civilian life, that you would like to meet her, would she be comfortable meeting you?...or words to that effect

But with the issue that she is the ex of your friend, I'd say stay away.

A rambling as I head out the door

RG

• Like 1

While I understand your interest, I would let this one go. This six degrees of separation could turn into ONE degree of actual separation ...

I'm not sure I'd completely agree. She is a professional service provider and you are a potential client. Certainly it won't come as a surprise to her that people she might know, from all walks of live, visit SPs. I also wouldn't think she's likely to go off to her ex husband to tell him who she has as a client.

I do think, though, that this is an instance where total disclosure might be required. She might feel just as uncomfortable as you, and prefer not to see you as a customer. So if you did try and book, I'd disclose that you think you might know her from your personal lives, and see what she says. This might involve disclosing more information than you are comfortable with,but if that's the case, then staying away entirely is the best option.

• Like 2

I don't see a problem with contacting the lady putting all the cards on the table and letting her make the decision....

Now if the interest in seeing her is because she is the ex of a friend and you just want to see how he was doing then stay the he'll away... this is her Business and not some game.

Just my Opinion