Looking for a new pastime

Guest S****r

I realize that I have fallen into a rut so I am on the lookout for something interesting to take up, and have found it surprisingly difficult. I don't want to commit to a certain day and time. Due to the unpredictability of this industry, I want to be able to do it now and then, whenever I am conveniently free.

I am just wondering what those of you here do for hobbies or pastimes? (Other than this one, of course!)

I look forward to your replies!

:-)

Hi Summer

I've found bike riding very relaxing - can do it anytime, interesting places to explore in Ottawa that you wouldn't see otherwise - and you can spend as little (or as much) time as you want. Of course that only covers the 4 months of summer - so I'll leave others to provide answers for the other 8 months of the year. Cheers, Marshman xo

• Like 1

This is the perfect time for gardening if you have the space to do it and it's very relaxing :) Yoga is my favourite activity, also very relaxing and during summer you can do it outdoors. If you're not into any of that baking is a great one and you can read a book while it's in the oven.

• Like 1

Guest st*****ens**ors

If I had to pick a couple, I'd choose running, which requires virtually no equipment or experience, can be done nearly anywhere, and which is a surprising amount of fun once you've figured out a pace that lets you breathe comfortably, and learning an instrument, which feeds your soul in so many ways. If you're interested in the latter pm me and I can point you to some easy options for a beginner. Of course, for all I know you may already be a virtuosso, in which case pm me so I can ask for pointers ;)

My favorite past time is cupcaking and making cakes and I taught myself. I enjoy the design aspect of it since I have a creative eye. Anything that I can design with color, I'm all over it.

Sadly I have because very entrenched with my businesses and I've basically lost a lot of free time for myself.

The one thing I have stuck with as a past time is learning about metaphysics and also meditation. I practice it everyday and take that time for myself which keeps me sane and not wanting to rip my hair out. Learning about law of attraction has improved every area of my life from business, to my health and learning to keep a positive mindset whatever the situation.

I like painting, knitting, baking and have recently taken up doing small furniture restorations.

Knitting in particular is great. Once you have some muscle memory, you can do it while watching TV or having conversations, and get a finished item pretty quickly. I was at a conference recently and knitted 2/3rds of a sweater while listening to presentations.

• Like 1

Guest Prufrock Cummings

Cycling is great in Ottawa, usually good from March to November for commutes as well as for pleasure.

Reading and movies in the winter, along with spin class at the gym. Yoga is super relaxing, sometimes makes you think, other times makes you forget.

Guest *Ste***cque**

I've done martial arts ever since I was a small, skinny and picked on kid. I still prefer it as my main pastime even though I'm not so small anymore. One of the clubs I belong to is a university club with lots of educated, respectful students. Many are also judges, doctors, lawyers, etc. They are a great group but it may be too structured for what you are looking for.

I also used to run quite a bit. It was a great stress reliever and a great way to think out problems and get some exercise at the same time. I used to love running in the fog, at night.

I also love to read. Find a quiet room and lose yourself in a book for a few hours.

Good luck.