Teacher Student Encounters

I have been on a lecture tour this Fall. On two occasions, in Toronto and Washington DC, students in the lecture hall have been my "belle du jour" while I was visiting. They were both nursing students.

In both instances, nothing was said that would have given each other away during the lecture. They both came up afterwards and said what a pleasure it was to meet me and that they enjoyed the lecture.

The coincidence is interesting and I wonder how often this happens.

When I was 18 I received an education from my 40 year old history professor. Is this still going on. I thought with PC behavior on campus this would get one fired.

Many years ago when I was in university on several occasions the TAs tried to pick me up, so I guess it still happens.

I do like your book reference. It is a great series!

When i was in University one of my profs came to

my services and i felt very very unconfortable. Not a good idea, i dont think.

Unless the prof is super hot and i

feel atracted to him, then i dont think i would mind.

However attractive the situation might be, Professors/teachers SHOULD NOT engage in any activities with students from the same institution and should be very reserved about contact with any undergraduate students. In most institutions it is forbidden by a code of conduct and is not a good idea because of imbalance of power.

Seems like a great idea in fantasy, had a female prof in university, would have loved to get some extra tutoring with her.

But in reality, professor/student affair/fling is no different than a boss/employee affair...someone has the power, someone doesn't, and it will turn out bad most of the time...what happens when there is a break up, will the student's grades suffer from a vindictive prof, will the prof be forced to leave the university, or lose tenure, etc etc etc

My two cents

RG

Most university codes of conduct are incredibly vague as to what counts as a breach of that code in regards to sleeping with students. Obviously sleeping with your own students is a huge no-no.

Sleeping with students who aren't in your classes, or students you met prior to them being a student, I don't think is as big of a deal. Provided you keep it discreet.

Yes, vague, but they are all based on the argument of imbalance of power. Profs should not sleep with undergrads from own institution. It looks different in grad school, most people would not be bothered by a relationship between prof and grad student from another department.

It is sometimes frustrating to teach...So much eye candy, and in EVERY class you will find a girl with a crush. And you know what freshmen and sophomore students wear to class nowadays :-)

At the end of the day sanity wins.

Yes, vague, but they are all based on the argument of imbalance of power. Profs should not sleep with undergrads from own institution. It looks different in grad school, most people would not be bothered by a relationship between prof and grad student from another department.

It is sometimes frustrating to teach...So much eye candy, and in EVERY class you will find a girl with a crush. And you know what freshmen and sophomore students wear to class nowadays :-)

At the end of the day sanity wins.

Just keep in mind, not all undergrads are 19 and 20 somethings.

I'm currently an undergrad and I'm almost 28. The power differential you speak of doesn't exist if you started fucking said prof before you were even a student. Yanno?

Thanks for the replies.

This is very interesting and confirms my original thoughts. The full time academics are mostly tied up by issues of promotion and tenure. As a visiting lecturer at several campuses in Ontario, Quebec, and New York State, I will continue to play with those who make themselves available.

My role is not that different than a service provider. I love what I do but I only stick around as long as I get paid - well.:smile:

From the institution standpoint absolute age and age differential do not matter that much, but you are right, nobody will have "zero tolerance" when it is 40/28 not 45/19...Still, there is a 100% clarity who is on top, for lack of better word.

If the relationship started before, than it is just a question of the prof dealing with conflict of interest. Just thread carefully.

It is quite shaky with current politically correct atmosphere from administration side. Do you remember the photography instructor in Algonquin (5 years ago or so, who got involved with student, asked other instructors to mark tests and assignments, and they kicked him anyway.). I do not know how UofO and Carleton are now, but a while back I was a witness of a very messy situation - prof(early 30s/his grad student late 20s).

Additional Comments:

Yes, when you are a visitor, you can play all you want. But you know that if someone learns about it and has a grudge, there is a chance you will not get reinvited.