Server died - AGAIN!

Actually, I thought I read at some time earlier that RAID dasd was being used, but if that was the case this hit would not have been noticeable.

The shout is gone, and so is most of the feeds.

Not sure if mod is still working on the issue, but I know I am not the only one with this issue. It started last night after the site returned. Hopefully mod can inlighten me a bit.

Firefox or Google Chrome would be excellent choices and more secure than Internet Explorer.

lol, someone helped me find my answers! I couldn't see most of the site on IE, have now switched to firefox, all is well. haha I thought I'd been bad.

not sure why ie is having problems I will look into that.

we do use raid drives (mirror) and the bad block data managed to mirror to the second drive so we had two useless drives in the array. we just reinstalled fedora and put two new drives in and migrated th good data from one of the mirrors but some os files and some DB files were corrupt so we had to use a backup DB dump.

the rack is super cool lots of air and well ventilated ... just some crappy drives. don't remember the make of them off hand but they are brand name drives. i have tried hem all. (i use to be a big segate fan)

this was just a bad drive. Friday special... probably a bad bearing or some dust inside.... who knows.

they either die within the first few months or last for year... it's getting past those first few months that you have to worry about usually. this site really taxes the drives, they run non stop 24/7

fixed the Internet crapola problem. was missing a dash in the character set info for the DB. it's UTF-8 and I had UTF8 without the dash as the default charaterset (so French characters work). all the browsers except ie accept UTF8 as the code. ie does not... it requires the dam dash! urg!? anyway got hat on fixed.

the rack is super cool lots of air and well ventilated ... just some crappy drives. don't remember the make of them off hand but they are brand name drives. i have tried hem all. (i use to be a big segate fan)

I used to be a big Seagate fan too, but of late their quality is below their historic highs.

Sadly, their quality is still better than most. On the plus side, they do have an excellent warranty replacement program altough one time a warranty replacement was DOA.

You sure do seem to know your stuff! Something that messed me up a couple of times was airflow inside the server -- the drive was in a dead-air pocket between two other drives and sizzled to the touch. All three became toast. Ouch!

should always use a 3u or a 4u rack case and make sure the air flows front to back. some of the cheap cases and the small 2 u and 1 u cases are too small and too tight to get air in them. big mistake people make is stacking the drives tight but these days the drives really don't heat up much they get warm but not like they use to... unless the bearing is bad

I don't understand any of this; I'm glad that there are those that do.

Thanks again, mod.

should always use a 3u or a 4u rack case and make sure the air flows front to back. some of the cheap cases and the small 2 u and 1 u cases are too small and too tight to get air in them. big mistake people make is stacking the drives tight but these days the drives really don't heat up much they get warm but not like they use to... unless the bearing is bad

My horror stories of over heated drives are mainly from back in the old days, when tower cases were designed to physically have room for multiple drives, but the air flow wasn't designed in. Some things you learn the hard way!

Do you also check the fans, and inside the case for dirt?

Happened to me more then once, and it was CAKED with dirt. Worked like a charm after I cleaned it:icon_razz: (cpu fan was filthy and I wondered why my computer would shut down all the time)

the servers cerb runs on are in a sealed server room. no dust or dirt in these babies.

The strange things sys admins have to worry about ....

we had a sealed room but the humidity in the ceiling was a tad too high one summer, water condensed on the A/C pipes and slowly dripped on the rack, fried one and hard crashed the database.

the servers cerb runs on are in a sealed server room. no dust or dirt in these babies.

That's good to know. What about the cooling system? I remember one server room I was in had the AC on so cold I got goose bumps.

I have raid, but also use Acronis True Image scheduled backups to run unattended; uses shadow copying so the drive can still be used. Fairly fast, especially when using Incremental mode. Dunno if this info is useful, but it gives me an extra layer of protection.

Do you also check the fans, and inside the case for dirt?

Happened to me more then once, and it was CAKED with dirt. Worked like a charm after I cleaned it:icon_razz: (cpu fan was filthy and I wondered why my computer would shut down all the time)

Pet hair and cigarette smoke can be particularly nasty!

Oh ya, you know that whiny grinding noise that you hear?

That's the fan bearings starting to fail.

After a few weeks, the noise goes away.

That's the fan not spinning anymore!

that is very true. and very common, cigarette smoke makes he dust stick even more and kills fans quicky. i hav repaired many computers hat have died because of that. people dont realize hey have to clean the dust off the fans till its too late. and not just the case fans and h power supply, these days most videocards hav a fan... ney need to be cleaned at least once a year in a smoke free house and quarterly in a smoking house