What would you do?

This thread was inspired by Grasshopper's experience recently. What would you do if the police barged in on you (SP/Client), let's say in a hotel room and decided to arrest the both of you.

I'm assuming they transport you down to the station for booking and ...then what?

Do you have to make a plea right then and there?

Are you booked and released?

Do you make a call to your lawyer and shut up?

Do you plead innocence saying you're just friends and it's all a huge mistake?

What are the chances of the charges sticking?

Just curious. There may be other threads out there on this topic, so if there are, I will use this post as a bump.

Edited by Jabba
expand the title to be more descriptive

Shut your mouth, call a lawyer

You don't know what the police have for evidence, why add ammo

A real good reason to have outcalls, and stay within the law

But to echo Cat's comment, what happened

RG

Ok, now I understand. This is a hypothetical situation! Sometimes it takes me a minute to catch on. I consider myself an expert on the subject.....

1. Don't say anything.

2. Try and grab a shower if they allow it: put on a set of long johns (white) and warm socks cause jail is cold.

3. Be very accomodating while remaining silent. Do not resist arrest.

4. Don't bother making coffee or breakfast no matter how early they rammed the door in.

5. Do not give instructions or demos of the toys they are too stupid to figure out.

6. Open the safe, if you don't they will take it with them even if they have to jackhammer it out of the floor.

7. Hold out and give the passwords for your computer to your lawyer.

8. Do not point out stash zones in the house.

9. Grab bail $ if they allow it.

10. Know how much $ is in your pocket so you can make sure it's logged into property.

11. Avoid wearing any good jewellery, it may go missing.

12. Have your lawyers # memorized (they take your cell) and know whether or not he accepts collect phone calls.

13. Don't speak with those in your jail cell of your situation.

14. Don't discuss anything over the phone unless it is with your lawyer while you are in custody.

These are my suggestions if you find yourself in handcuffs for any reason....

cat

The BC Civil Liberiries Association has a handbook specifically covering what to do if arrested. Here is the link:

http://bccla.org/arrest/

Just as an aside, here is the lnk to the Canadian Civil Liberities Association. If not already a member, we shoud all be (not just Cerb memebers, all canadians)

http://ccla.org/

I have a card published by ACO and PIVOT and it says the following:

"Officer, if I am under arrest or being detained, please tell me so. If I am free to go, please tell me so. If I am not free to go, please tell me why. I wish to exercise all my legals rights including my right to silence and my right to speak to a lawyer before I say anything to you. I do not consent to be searched. I wish to be released without delay. Please do not ask me questions, because I will not willingly talk to you until I speak to a lawyer. Thank you for respecting my rights."

My rights:

1. Silence.

2. I can say "NO" if the the police ask permission to search me or my things.

3. I can leave unless I am being detained or arrested.

4. If I am being detained or arrested, I have a right to know why, and a right to speak privately to a lawyer without delay - even if I can't afford to pay.

5. I can only be strip-searched in private and by officers of the same sex.

6. I have a right to know a police officer's name and badge number.

7. I can report a police officer who abuses me, swears at me, or violates my rights.

There's no question that hypothetical questions are useful, and accurate information is essential. That having been said, and with apologies in advance if I should seem too cranky or irritable, I'd like us all to be clear about a few things.

1. The person who is most at risk of harm is always the paid companion. Always.
  2. If the hotel is raided, if there's a fire, an earthquake or other disaster, even the highest-paid companion should expect to be disowned by her client who will suddenly be transformed into a fine, upstanding man of exemplary character and ethics, while she will be understood to be nothing more than a drug-addicted hooker who has lured the poor fellow into a compromising situation.
  3. Most paid companions will take their clients' identities to the grave rather than release the information to anyone as long as we're safe. If a client compromises our safety and security, all deals are off.
  4. People who are genuinely worried about being arrested or held on suspicion of committing a crime should think long and hard about whether they can afford to take such a risk.
  5. If you, the client, invite a paid companion into your hotel room and pay her for her time, with or without sexual activities, both you and she are acting fully within the law.
  6. If the companion has taken a hotel room and you're the first person to meet her there, whatever transpires between the two of you is perfectly legal. If you're her second or subsequent guest, the room may be considered to have transformed, legally speaking, into a common bawdy house and, in the event of the hypothetical raid, you could be charged with being found in it. If this is a concern, see my point #5.
  7. Innkeepers and paid companions have been in cahoots for millennia. Each of us makes a considerable part of our living in relation to the services the other provides. The more one pays for such services, the less one has to worry about risk. I can find no references to any Hilton, Fairmont or Four Seasons hotel in Canada being named as the location of a common bawdy house. Four and five-star hotels don't get raided in Canada.
  8. Paid companions are at least as concerned about risks and liabilities as are our clients. We, too, have families, partners, lovers, employers, community standing and personal dignity to protect.
  9. Television is television. It is not reality. Crime dramas are not reliable sources of information about any aspect of the law, the criminal justice system, the courts or likely outcomes.
  10. Fear-mongering is not helpful.

One thing to add, if you are not under arrest, do not consent to being fingerprinted or photographed...that can only be done once arrested

RG