Favorite snacks from childhood

We all have them; either your mom had them ready for you after school or you scrounged for them yourself. I went grocery shopping and had a sudden urge for cheeze whiz and ritz crackers (low fat cheeze whiz and 65% less sodium ritz now a days lol). I was a latch key kid and not allowed to use the oven or even the microwave so this was an easy snack that tasted great...not so much now as I am currently finding out!

Tell me about your favority snacks as a kid!

Sit on couch with 1 jar of peanut butter. Apple in left hand, knife in right. Place 1 dollop of peanut butter on apple. Bite and chew.. Repeat until apple is finished. Then repeat with apples until the peanut butter is finished.

Guest W***ledi*Time
... tasted great...not so much now as I am currently finding out! ...

I'm thinking that the low-fat and 65% less sodium is what did in the taste. I was a popcorn kid, but that obviously wouldn't have worked out in the old days without access to a stove-top and oil. I never burned the place down though.

Guest s******ecan****

The original "Old Dutch" potato chips, used to come in a cardboad box, inside were 2 wax paper bags of perfectly cooked potato chips.

Cheese and crackers dipped in ranch dressing, celery with peanut butter or cheese whiz, brocolli with cheese whiz or ranch dip, nacho chips with sour cream or salsa.....the list is endless lol

my mom always had in the freezer....home made chocolate chip cookies with icecream inside..........ice creme sandwiches....mmmmm

or there were always choices of home made cookies...breads....loafs.....or a tray full of selected deli meats and cheezes.......

• Like 1

Guest jake_cdn

Pepsi and Mae West

Pixi Stix

Black licorice Cigars

Kraft Caramels

Humpty Dumpty BBQ Chips

Peanut Butter and Cracker sandwich (McCormick used to make saltines

where six crackers were joined

together in a big square )

my mom always had in the freezer....home made chocolate chip cookies with icecream inside..........ice creme sandwiches....mmmmm

or there were always choices of home made cookies...breads....loafs.....or a tray full of selected deli meats and cheezes.......

Is your mom looking to adopt a daughter????

junk food... loved long johns (type of donut), those yellow cheezie type things (can't remember what they're called) and salted licorice (only dutch people or similar cultures seem to like them). Pop shop white cream soda. ketchup chips (now I'm a die hard dill pickle chips fan). sherbert fountain, licorice in all forms..popcorn, o'henry bars, turtles,

weird sandwich treats were icing sugar sandwich, spaghettios on a sandwich and cracker sandwiches..

Is your mom looking to adopt a daughter????

so if you were adotped as my sister....would it still be incest?

I guess I was lucky....kind of had the perfect mother for home baking...but...there is more to the story.......

Yummy, loved those sandwiches, and joe louis and a pepsi, and loved and still do.... cracker jacks (now just carmel popcorn not enough peanuts), and oh yes red licorice !!use to go to movies for about 25 cents !

Hawaiian Punch and Peanut Butter and banana pinwheel sandwiches

Cheese Whiz and Ritz was the most common but when I could I would sneak Nanimo Bars outta the freezer, which put me in trouble in the long run.

junk food... loved long johns (type of donut), those yellow cheezie type things (can't remember what they're called) and salted licorice (only dutch people or similar cultures seem to like them). Pop shop white cream soda. ketchup chips (now I'm a die hard dill pickle chips fan). sherbert fountain, licorice in all forms..popcorn, o'henry bars, turtles,

weird sandwich treats were icing sugar sandwich, spaghettios on a sandwich and cracker sandwiches..

I love double-salted licorice - you can still get it at the Bulk Barn.

frozen mars bars

any and all of the 1-cent candies

peanut butter cracker sandwiches

and then, and stll now, POPCORN covered in way too much margarine and salt. I attribute at least 1/4 of my curviness to this snack.

• Like 1

Oooh ya I still have a thing for Mars Bars. And their old spokesperson, Nancy Greene. Oh I truly believed in "A Mars Bar a day, at work, rest or play." It did not improve my skiinng as much as I thought it would. Seemed to work for Nancy

POPSICLES. You used to get 5 for a quarter and I could eat them all before they melted on my way home from the variety store. Banana was the best.

coincidentally enough and possibly a foreshadowing to my current persona,

but as a young boy I LOVED Wagon Wheels

wagon_wheels.jpg

Gooey marshmallow filling between to chocolate covered graham waffers!

And a special family treat my grandpa would make me peanut butter with bacon on toast!

Peanut-Butter-Bacon-Sandwic.jpg

.... cheeze whiz and ritz crackers ......

Meg if that beautiful bum in your avitar is a result of cheez whiz and ritz crackers then I'm going to buy stock in Kraft foods and Nabisco !

Honey milk.. milk cooked over the stove with honey mixed in...yum

Ovaltine...haven't had that in years, nay decades now (actually the same for honey milk)

Hotdog reuben sandwiches. Instead of the classic reuben, get a hotdog, put it on a hotdog bun, with sauerkraut and swiss cheese, wrap in aluminum foil (sprayed with pam), put in the oven to melt the cheese, and eat (wrapping in foil keeps everything together, it seems to fall apart if microwaved)

Tang and koolaid

Frankfurters paprika (a completely different way to serve hotdogs)

Just some fav's...some I still have occasionally

RG

Peanut butter toast with bacon... I'll have to try that!

As a kid, I remember me and my sister always wanted to watch the hockey game with my father so, my mom made us a little platter of crackers, sliced pepperoni and cheese cubes. Always good!

But we were so accustomed to our bedtime hour that by the start of second period, we were sleeping tight on the couch!

Guest jake_cdn
Pink Elephant Popcorn... and Pop Shoppe Pop...

Wow - I remember getting the popcorn and the surprise inside but the pink candy coating was the best. I also remember getting the gum balls out of the cheap plastic gum machines on the counter where you put your money in an pull the lever across the front of the machine. That was when each gum ball had a different flavour and it mattered what colour you got. Life was great and simple then.

Additional Comments:

Hawaiian Punch and Peanut Butter and banana pinwheel sandwiches

Hmmm ... peanut butter and banana sandwiches. I could have lived on them but my Mother used to make me eat other things as well - bummer

I used to put the whole banana in a piece of bread and fold it over like a hot dog. It was wonderful.