Make-up for children

http://ecosalon.com/walmart-geo-girl-cosmetics/

When I was 8-years-old, the most makeup I wore was lipgloss on a special occasion, and only when I BEGGED my mother. The only other time was if my friends and I broke into one of our mothers makeup collections and we painted our faces like clowns.

I firmly believe that's as it should be. I cannot believe that there is a full line of cosmetics being marketed to children as young as 8. And some of them are anti-aging. This honestly makes me so angry, and sad, I want to kick and scream at the people doing this. WHY, why, can we not let children be children? I LOVED being a little girl! And I can't wait to have my own little girl one day - and there is no way I'm going to start making her worry about aging before she's even hit puberty,. Grrrrr!

Thank god it's eco-friendly. I too played with makeup but bought my own kits for $1 online when they offered trials. My sister and I would take sheer blue curtain my mom had.. borrow her bra and wig (they were big in the 60's) and fill her bra with oranges.

so.. since this makeup is eco friendly I may have to check it out! I buy my very expensive ecofriendly makeups at a health food store. It may be a cheaper alternative for moi!

Wow. I wasn't even allowed to wear ANY makeup (including lip gloss) until I was in high school.

Kids should be allowed to be kids. This is almost as bad as when Abercrombie and Fitch were marketing g-strings to pre-teens.

• Like 2

This is almost as bad as when Abercrombie and Fitch were marketing g-strings to pre-teens.

Every time I walk past a 'La Senza Girl' or anything like that I want to barf - there is NO WAY children need a store devoted to pretty underwear. My younger sister started adding 'thongs' to her christmas wish-list when she was about twelve. I don't think I even owned a thong until I was 19 or 20.

ugh...yay for hypersexualization!

The only make-up I had at this age was a red lipstick cause I was a ballerina and those little make-up kits of being a princess or something like that...

Honestly...I am scared that when I'll have kids, how the teens will be that day...

It totally creeps me out how much more sexually active young teens are.

I was waiting for the bus and overheard two girls who couldn't have been more than 14 talking about the one had gotten drunk and fucked some guy. I asked how old they were and they were 12!! And then one of them asked me if it hurt when I pierced my lip and I said, not really and then she tells me she pierced her own lip by herself.

Seriously, where are their parents?

I don't see anything wrong with this, I have been wearing make up since I was 5, granted I was not allowed mascara and eyeliner. I allow my 8 year old niece to raid my make up all the time when she plays dress up.

I look at it this way, at least I am there to help her use it and not "steal" it, and make a big mess with it.

When I was babysitting at a local group home they were not allowed to wear make up, any of them! They ranged in age from 4-16.

They would "steal" make up at every chance they had, even mine when I would visit. I would rather my niece learn to ask me then to steal from me.

Wow. I wasn't even allowed to wear ANY makeup (including lip gloss) until I was in high school.

....same here :smile:

Seriously though it's very disturbing how young children are being sexualized and taught more about outer beauty or the social acceptance and sexualization that goes with being "pretty"

Why can't kids be kids anymore, society is robbing children of the best years of their lives, and more more importantly robbing them of their innocence. Surely the end must near, because if society carries on this way we're all goin' to hell in a hand basket!

Kyra & Cleo, thanks for sharing these thought provoking items.

Every time I walk past a 'La Senza Girl' or anything like that I want to barf - there is NO WAY children need a store devoted to pretty underwear. My younger sister started adding 'thongs' to her christmas wish-list when she was about twelve. I don't think I even owned a thong until I was 19 or 20.

I don't see anything wrong with girls of any age wearing thongs. It's unclear to me why thongs are associated with sexuality. To me it just means no underwear lines and better comfort. I started wearing thongs at a young age for this reason. If a 12-year-old wants to wear a thong and it's something private she wears under who clothes that no one else sees, why is that bad?

I don't see anything wrong with girls of any age wearing thongs. It's unclear to me why thongs are associated with sexuality. To me it just means no underwear lines and better comfort. I started wearing thongs at a young age for this reason. If a 12-year-old wants to wear a thong and it's something private she wears under who clothes that no one else sees' date=' why is that bad?[/quote']

Well for one, why should a 12 year old care about panty lines?

Thongs have always been marketed as "sexy" underwear designed to appeal to men. Having no panty lines is just a casual way of saying that you want to look like you're wearing no underwear. I highly doubt teens and pre-teens are choosing to wear thongs out of a desire for comfort.

I don't see anything wrong with girls of any age wearing thongs. It's unclear to me why thongs are associated with sexuality. To me it just means no underwear lines and better comfort. I started wearing thongs at a young age for this reason. If a 12-year-old wants to wear a thong and it's something private she wears under who clothes that no one else sees' date=' why is that bad?[/quote']

I've never looked at it that way, to me thongs are sexy, period. But I can see your point, I've just never thought they were more comfortable, haha!

I don't see why kids should care about underwear lines though, and stand by my statement that kids don't need a store devoted to pretty underwear, whether they're wearing thongs or not

I've never looked at it that way, to me thongs are sexy, period.

You've obviously never seen the thongs I wore when I was a young teen LOL. Not sexy in the least.

I just didn't like people see my underwear/lines. It's private and not something I wish to show off.

I dont really like seeing young kids wearing make-up. What really pisses me off are these beauty pagents for kids. They are kids for Christs sake. Jonbenet Ramsey was 6 years old when she was murdered and she had no childhood. Her Mother entered her in numerous beauty pagents and the amount of make-up she wore was scary. I detest pagents for kids.

If I had a daughter I wouldn't want her wearing make-up until she was 14 and then it better not look trashy.

I think there's a profound contradiction in our society when we decry pedophilia but also sexualize female children, dressing them provocatively and encouraging them to become obsessed with their physical appearance rather than their physical health and well-being.

I dressed my daughter in the same things my sons wore: baggy, comfortable slacks and jeans, over-sized t-shirts and sweatshirts with no advertising, no ballerina dinosaurs, skulls or motorcycles. They wore bright, clear colours that they liked. They could move around, run, jump, climb things and be active without worrying about their clothes, or about whether it was okay to clamber about on playground equipment. I'd seen too many girl children who wouldn't climb on play structures because they were wearing frilly miniskirts and were worried that their underwear would show.

My daughter had some beautiful dresses, too. She wore them to some family birthdays, Christmas parties, concerts and so on. She loved to dress up, but she also loved to wear play clothes most of the time. She wasn't interested in wearing makeup until she was about 16, when she had her ears pierced.

I felt that she should develop her mind and feel physically strong so that she could be independent. Focusing on external beauty, clothes and makeup to attract men undermines girls and young teens, and that seemed very wrong to me.

• Like 1

I don't agree that wearing makeup as a kid necessarily sexualizes them (except for the kiddie pageants which are bizarre to say the least).

I played with makeup at home only.. not to wear out. I also had an easy bake oven and didn't become Martha Stewart.

I played with lego and didn't become a contractor. I played with trucks.. dolls and tons of games. None of which made me sexualized toward one team or another :p

For me it was about wanting to play dress up.. wanting to grow up and be older.. but it was a game. Period. In the right context it's fine.

My father tried to disuade me from wearing makeup by telling me lipstick was made from ants... didn't work even though I'm sure I believed him for a while. Frankly I didn't care if it was true! I wasn't however allowed to wear it out of the house. I probably would have if I were allowed..and been ridiculed for it in my small town.

oh..and probably because I was allowed to play with it at home only I never ended up wearing makeup until I was in my mid 20's! Making something taboo.. only makes it more desirable.

• Like 2

oh..and probably because I was allowed to play with it at home only I never ended up wearing makeup until I was in my mid 20's! Making something taboo.. only makes it more desirable.

Very good point. WHich is why I agree little girls should be able to play dress-up and such, but marketing these products directly to them, especially ones specifically called anti-aging - that's not them playing grownup, that's them being treated like adults. I just want them to be kids!

• Like 1

If it was only to wear them that's fine but what I have seen that is wrong is they also get the jeans that hangs low and show off that thong. It's worst when they bend over and show off the butt crack and all they have is a string.

My niece who is now 19 and in college wanted to wear a bra at the age of 10 and already had thongs and G-strings.

My $.02

My daughter thought I was silly for wearing a thong. Thing is, my ass has always been rather 'full' and it tends to eat my underwear as I walk. So, I would end up with my panties bunched in the crack anyway :)

At least with a thong there was less fabric to bug me!

anyway, about the make up thing, I find that younger girls are wearing more of it and really getting into the Goth look with the heavy, Vampire eyes. I wonder if it is really healthy for their eyes. There is a lot of crap in eye make up.

Most schools will write a note to the parent if girls are wearing too much make up or clothes that are too revealing.

I wonder if it is really healthy for their eyes. There is a lot of crap in eye make up.

It is extremely unhealthy. You're absolutely right to be concerned. Especially the encouragement from some make up artists to put the eye liner inside the lashes. Any makeup is somewhat absorbed through your skin and a delivery system for toxic material but on your mucus membranes it's even worse for you.