Woman: Craigslist ad led to sex slavey

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/16/new.york.sex.slave/index.html?hpt=T2

New York (CNN) -- A Wisconsin woman who said she agreed to cook and clean for a man she met on the internet in exchange for a free place to stay allegedly ended up as his sex slave, prosecutors said Wednesday.

The 27-year-old woman met New York resident John Hopkins on the website Craigslist before spending nine days trapped in his apartment, where she claims she was repeatedly raped, according to a district attorney's statement.

The woman -- whose name has not been released -- was treated for injuries at Woodhull Hospital in Brooklyn, New York. The details of her condition are not clear.

Authorities charged Hopkins with rape, assault, forcible touching and unlawful imprisonment, arresting him at his Brooklyn apartment on Saturday. He is currently being held on $350,000 bail.

The woman claims that she was looking for work in New York and found an advertisement that Hopkins posted on Craigslist, listing a room for rent, according to the complaint.

The pair agreed that the woman could stay rent free if she cooked and cleaned for Hopkins, who then paid for her airfare to New York on February 4, 2011.

Upon arriving at his apartment, Hopkins allegedly told the woman that she was going to be his slave, the complaint said.

The woman claims she was repeatedly raped between February 4 and February 12, and was also tied with a rope, gagged and handcuffed to a radiator, it said.

On the ninth day, she said she managed to call her mother and alert her of the alleged abuse.

Police found the woman bruised and bound in Hopkins' apartment, according to the district attorney statement.

Authorities said the victim was shaking and had marks on her body, according to the complaint.

Hopkins is expected to appear in court Friday for a preliminary hearing. If convicted, he could face up to 25 years in prison.

Guest W***ledi*Time
The woman claims that she ... found an advertisement that Hopkins posted on Craigslist, listing a room for rent ...

Perhaps the U.S. Attorneys General will now demand that the Craigslist "Housing" Section be shut down.

This is absolutely horrific. So there's still an erotic Craigslist in Wisconsin? Craigslist is truly a dangerous site and if the erotic section has gone down, the predators still lurk. I wonder how this was posted as there is no more erotic section, right? That's my first thought from an add of this nature. There's Molly Maid for cleaning and cooking, well sorry, but you can learn how to or eat out. This kind of add is a major red flag and should have been flagged as Craigs apparently does? However, who in their right mind would travel to a new city and move in with a complete stranger as a tenant for "exchange" is just plain stupid! My heart goes out to her but a little common sense would have prevented this assault. : (

Additional Comments:

Perhaps the U.S. Attorneys General will now demand that the Craigslist "Housing" Section be shut down.

Thanks. I just wrote my thoughts before I saw the classified section it was under. Wow!

This type of thing could have happened with a newspaper ad as well.. but who in their right mind 1) lets a stranger fly them to their house.. and 2) if they're dumb enough to do that.. doesn't call to confirm they are okay with a family member and each day after for a while? 9 days???

If I had a friend or family member do this I would immediately call the cops when they arrived in a new city and didn't call.. but of course I would try to talk them out of traveling to a stranger in the first place like that.. seems rather fishy. I think some details of the story might be left out.

There are actually some agencies out there that do this sort of thing.

You select a woman from a catalog and she comes to you for several months or a year. She provides maid and cooking services with sexual benefits.

This agency has been around for a few years and is based out of Austral

PM me if you would like more info.

Absolutely! Predators lurk everywhere and where is the common sense? You're right Carrie. Why did a family member or friend not know of these plans and put a stop to it? She called her Mother after day nine? A mother that cared would want to know her whereabouts from the first place and would not allow her to travel to a strange city and live with a complete stranger. This is really unfortunate and could have been avoided.

Guest W***ledi*Time

hmmm ... last time I looked, mothers usually have rather limited power to control their 27-year-old adult children's lives ... no matter how much they care ...

It's interesting that she chose to call her mother instead of dialing 911.

As with all news stories, the devil is in the details.

I think some details of the story might be left out.

This is from CNN, so of course any details that don't tell the story they want to tell have been left out.

hmmm ... last time I looked, mothers usually have rather limited power to control their 27-year-old adult children's lives ... no matter how much they care ...

It's interesting that she chose to call her mother instead of dialing 911.

As with all news stories, the devil is in the details.

It`s not about control of the parent.. any 27 year old, 17 yr old or 77 yr old.. would have enough sense to have someone to contact that they arrived safely to a strangers home.

Guest W***ledi*Time
It`s not about control of the parent...

I was simply commenting on the immediately preceding statement, which was specifically about the control of the mother (my bold):

A mother that cared ... would not allow her to ...

(I'm just not interested in speculating about what the exact sequence of events might have been, or about what certain possible scenarios might mean about how prudent the victim's conduct may or may not have been.)

I was simply commenting on the immediately preceding statement, which was specifically about the control of the mother (my bold):

(I'm just not interested in speculating about what the exact sequence of events might have been, or about what certain possible scenarios might mean about how prudent the victim's conduct may or may not have been.)

You are right. My statement about what Mother would "allow" her daughter to travel to another city to live in a strangers house may have been a little judgemental considering the holes in the story. Perhaps her Mother had no idea or if she did, had no control over it as she is an adult and can only be offered advice and warning. I just assume that the victim would have notified a mother, family member, or friend of their plan to begin with, would have been good common sense. My apologies if I my comment created more speculation.

Well I am "glad" that there is yet another story in the media making BDSM look awful. I swear there should be a mental evaluation before you are allowed to get into kink like that. I will never forget my mother's face the first time she came to my house and found a flogger. People like this give the scene a bad name and I had a feeling once more of the story came out it would end up like that.