I just threw up in my mouth a bit. In 2011 it is shocking how far back some people want to take us. In a day and age when religion means less and less to the common person I would never imagine bills like this being created. I guess society hasn't evolved to the state where all people are equal and have the right to make decisions about their own bodies and well being. I am pro choice and disturbed about what may or may not happen in the future about my right to my body.

Posted via Mobile Device

Texas Life Always anti-choice group billboard "The most dangerous place for an African American is in the Womb" set up in NY last week - coinciding with Black History Month - will be taking off the street.

Should I celebrate because we "wan" over this monstrosity or just drink to the fact that I once believed the fight for abortion was history?

Harper's has not given women a break with abortion since he got elected. It is constant in his program. He is a religious man with moral conservative values and belief. Some famous canadian Evangelists leaders have a special access to the Parlement provided by Harper's gang whom the Preachers visit on a regurlar basis (CBC news recently).

A research revealed that Atheists are untrusted by Americans more than they untrust muslim, gays, recent immigrants, etc.

That says a lot. Religion is ubiquitous I'm afraid.

Pic of the Bilboard

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/billboard-opposing-abortion-stirs-debate/

News about Removing

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/anti-abortion-billboard-to-be-removed/?scp=1&sq=billboard%20removed%20NY%20abortion&st=cse

Atheist Research

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2009/09/19/research-finds-that-atheists-are-most-hated-and-distrusted-minority/

A research revealed that Atheists are untrusted by Americans more than they untrust muslim, gays, recent immigrants, etc.

That says a lot. Religion is ubiquitous I'm afraid.

I won't even bother commenting on the topic at hand - it's a little like asking how you feel about prostitution on a pro-life discussion board. But I thought this was interesting:

indirectlyrelated.png

http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/u/AFY_Will/2010/2/24/In-Utah-Miscarriage--Criminal-Homicide

This is the scary side of Tea Party politics... "Christian" sharia laws that punish the woman for unplanned or unwanted pregnancies.

We often spout off endlessly about Islamic fundamentalism, but we have a North American version in the Bible belt. This IS the new conservatism...

• Like 1

http://www.amplifyyourvoice.org/u/AFY_Will/2010/2/24/In-Utah-Miscarriage--Criminal-Homicide

This is the scary side of Tea Party politics... "Christian" sharia laws that punish the woman for unplanned or unwanted pregnancies.

We often spout off endlessly about Islamic fundamentalism, but we have a North American version in the Bible belt. This IS the new conservatism...

I have always maintained that the difference between the little old lady who goes to church twice on Sunday and the wild-eyed youth in Palestine with a bomb strapped to his chest is only a matter of degree.

I have always maintained that the difference between the little old lady who goes to church twice on Sunday and the wild-eyed youth in Palestine with a bomb strapped to his chest is only a matter of degree.

There's truth to your statement Rick... and the situations become infinitely more comparable when the wild-eyed kid is a brain washed man or woman fire bombing an abortion clinic during business hours.

We have seen what happens when religious fanatics like the Reverend Ken Phelps arrive at funerals spitting vitriolic slogans like "God hates Fags" and "God hates Jews." These are the ground swell movements that scare me as much as the Palestinian kid - different only by a degree.

Guest s******ecan****

Its a divisive subject and not surprising to me we're seeing some heated comments. Most forums would see even more but I think its safe to say as were a pretty liberated bunch here most of us are of the same mind on this one. People on both sides of the issue are extremeley passionate and sincere in feeling that they are doing the right thing.

For myself I believe in choice, and support our current laws. To prohibit abortion would represent a significant intrusion of the government into our sex lives, family, and health choices. This is not the society most of us want.

However for those who are pro-choice this should be just one more reason to make sure to vote against the Harper government. Sure they have no stated plan to curtail abortion rights but their is no doubt the vast majority of pro-life elements in Canada vote conservative and would push for more restrictions should a majority ever come to pass.

As someone who regularly attends church, I'm having some trouble with this one ... frankly that's a remarkable statement to make. The difference is that one is a little old lady and the other one is trying to kill a lot of innocent people. With all respect, equating the two seems to imply an huge amount of insecurity as to the role of organized religion in society.

I personally believe in a woman's right to choose, but most of the people who object are less concerned with controlling other people lives and decisions than they are in simply trying to protect what they perceive to be unborn human life. Its a really difficult topic and tears at people's hearts.

BTW, Ken Phelps doesn't represent organized religion any more than your average radical Islamc cleric nutjob represents most Muslims.

• Like 2

let me explain it this way, In Pakistan, there are many people who where educated in Madras (Religous schools) who are willing and able to execute the will of the religous leadership whether it is to declare Jihad against some one, or to execute a Christian politician whjo spoke out against anti-blasphemy laws.

Here, we have large congregations belonging to different variations of Christianity, the majority of whom attend on Sundays and live their own lives most of the rest of the week, (perhaps even engaging in a little adultery). However, should their pastor call a boycott because business X sells some books which disagree with their teachings, they blindly follow along, forcing said business to take thoe books off the shelf and depriving other non-members of the congregation access to them.

Is there a difference, not really, in my mind. Both side are attemptng to force their version of the world on others. They just use different methods.

Rick -- Understand what you are saying. I just see there being a fundamental difference between the level of violent loyalty that seems to exists among radical Islam and modern Christians affirmatively following the precepts of their religion. When the church strays out of those precepts into other areas, the level of "loyalty" drops off quite dramatically.

For instance, some Catholic bishops decided to take a position favoring public employee unions in the United States. I'm fairly certain that most Catholics dont give a rat's ass what the bishops' position is on unionization. And certainly the bishops aren't running around demanding their followers undertake a jihad on other peoples.

Rick -- Understand what you are saying. I just see there being a fundamental difference between the level of violent loyalty that seems to exists among radical Islam and modern Christians affirmatively following the precepts of their religion.

Really?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_viol.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/abortviolence/stories/gunn.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11604762/ns/politics/

I agree pro-choice is the way to go, however there should be more education made available (making it mandatory perhaps) to these girls before they make that final decision on getting an abortion because if they chose to have one, it is final.

Really.

At least as to your supposition about there being no difference between little 'ole church ladies and jihadists.

I dont get the last one ... are you asserting that all eight members (including the liberal members) of the US Supreme Court are in on it too?

At least as to your supposition about there being no difference between little 'ole church ladies and jihadists.

I believe what he said was that they were different in degree, but not in kind. Certainly both have abdicated the responsibility of making their own moral decisions, and instead take orders on morality from some musty old books in the hands of very large fan clubs devoted to invisible supernatural creatures. Their lives both exhibit conspicuous obedience to their respective clubs. The rest is just circumstance.

Let's see how placid the tea-and-cookies churchgoers stay in the States if Mike Huckabee makes some headway in the next couple of years.

There's nothing to be gained discussing this subject further here, though, so I'll say no more.

I recently had an experience with my best GF. She was faced with decision. In her situation, having a child would not be good for her future. Her Birth control failed and she became pregnant with a guy she only dated 3 times!

She has not yet finished her education, the guy took off, her parents are not a source of financial support, and is currently living on social income.

When she asked what should she do, for me this was a no brainer! I offered to her to bring her to the clinic, I would even pay for it. Then she went to her family, they have convinced her to give the baby up for adoption. Which I am not sure that she will be able to.

I was upset with her family, because my friend suffers from a very sever depression. She became so sad, she could not even get up for a shower! So sick, could not keep food down.All the while I was taking care of her. I spoke to her family and voiced my concern for her and said " I don't think a girl with this much depression was in any shape to make this decision to carry a child then give it up." I was asking myself " where is her family now?" As she sits there not able to eat, shower or even hurts to smile?

When I asked her one more time if she wanted my help, she said " she doesn't have the conscience to abort it" I respect that, but, how can you have the conscience to bring this child here with no way to raise it? And What about YOU, the one that is here now, living!

So yes, I am pro-choice! I feel sad for those girls that feel pressured to keep the child! On the flip side, I do not agree with abortion being a form of birth control either.

Choice is choice'''pregnancy is a life altering experience'''-that is the womans` choice (and perhaps input from her partner if that is practical)

Guest s******ecan****
I recently had an experience with my best GF. She was faced with decision.

She is lucky to have a friend like you Sophia. An example like this shows how important it is to have choice. If abortion were illegal this girl would likely still be considering terminating the pregnancy as a law can't simply wipe away the challenge she faces. She would still have all the difficult choices and agony as well as the fear of breaking the law and endangering her health as we know what sort of health services would be provided if abortions were performed illegally.

In my heart I feel the best solution for this girl is to carry the baby to term, and remain her mother. To do that though she needs the support (financial and otherwise) of her family. They must be willing to support her throught this, to help raise the child while she finishes her education, to not judge her, to celebrate the entry of a new addition to the family....above all to realize that life doesen't go according to plan but that sometimes what we first see as problems are often great opportunities.

Yet I know many of us never rise to the occaision when challenged and that my ideal solution for this girl is probably not practical. Its both liberating and burdensome that she has choice and that is itself a cruel paradox.

Stay involved Sophia as this girl needs all the help she can get no matter what choice she makes.

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful letter. I most definitely remain as a solid shoulder for her to lean on. I hope that she will reach out in return and use me for support. In this life, we really only have a few true friends, and I plan to be that friend! thanks, xoxo

Pro-choice all the way.

As sad as it can be sometime if the father actually want the baby and the mother is not willing to carry until birth...it's still the women decision. She is the one carrying it. And choosing to voluntarily loose a little someone is hard...

It's easy to judge women that want to abort...especially when you aren't living what they are

To those who are not Pro Choice, (few, if any here, I would assume), I ask, what do think of Neutering the males, that spread their seed randomly, with no intention of sticking around ?

every sperm is sacred, every sperm is good

*coughilovemontypythonendcough*

For the most part the people I have interacted with who aren't pro choice

seem to have a very outdated view on

sex, morality and religion. I don't think too many of them would go along

with the idea of neutering men as that could stop them from further procreation

and really wouldn't that just be murdering their future children?

*sigh*

Posted via Mobile Device

Is masterbation is commiting genocide?

My limited view ... The choice is a needed option, but should be the last choice, out of distress, and desperation. Not a menu item at McDonalds or a double double. It's an emotional choice, and should never ever made lightly.