I can't help that notice that the majority of people who are sex-work positive, are also pro-choice.

Until about age 22 I "wasn't sure" what my views on abortion were. As an idealist (so many of us are when we are young!) I thought maybe abortion was wrong.

When I entered the sex industry at age 22, I learned that the same people who wanted to control me, my body, and my sexuality by telling me sex work is "immoral" were also the people trying to control the bodies and sexualities of pregnant women.

I made a CHOICE to enter sex work, and I strongly believed it was my choice to make and one that should not be judged by others. Upon this realization, I became pro-choice.

Although an abortion is not something I would choose for myself, I respect that we are all different and make choices that are best for us. If I expect people to respect my choices about my body and my sexuality, I need to respect the choices of others.

What are your thoughts?

• Like 4

I have always been pro-choice. I like Megan would not have an abortion because it is not for me. But I believe a woman's body is HER temple, and hers alone. But I also do not agree with those who have at least 2-3 abortions a year. It is not a form of birth control. When I was in highschool, a close friend of mine was rapped and as such she got pregnant. She did not want to keep the baby, and did not think it was right to have that child growing up knowing it was a product of rape. I helped her get the help she needed in getting an abortion. Even if she would have had the child and put it up for adoption, as the child grew they would want to know about who their real parents were, and she did not want to have the child knowing what had happened.

Again this is just my opinion and not meant to offend anyone!

• Like 1

Personnally, i'm pro-choice. I can understand that "shit happens" even with protection and proper planning (family planning that is). Birth control can be pretty safe, but it never is 100% safe - condoms can break, and the pill has a low margin of error. At other times, shittier events can happen requiring an abortion (rape leading to pregnancy is an example).

So, as a last resort, yes, as i'm not ready to have kids anyway. But i respect those for whom this would never be an option because of their beliefs.

Guest W***ledi*Time

Depending on each individual's beliefs, it can be one hell of a choice to find oneself in the position of having to make. Potentially life-altering, in a very serious and deeply emotional way, whichever choice is made. The powerful ethical and moral overtones mean that each must make this decision for themselves. I'm glad I'll never be faced with such a decision.

I am a pro-choice to certain limits. I always believe strongly in human rights and especially in women's rights and so I believe that a woman has the right to decide what to do with her body, HOWEVER, I believe that a fetus is a part of a woman's body for as long as it is a fetus BUT when heart is formed and starts beating and nerves are formed and start feeling (I think it is about 3 months after fertilization but I could be wrong about the time frame) then it is not a fetus anymore but a BABY and an integral living thing with rights to survive and exits and NOT part of a woman's body anymore (a woman's body becomes a temporary host to the baby until she is born) and then abortion becomes very wrong in my eyes.

So, there must be a balance between a woman's right to self body and the baby's right to survive and live and the balance in my view is that only after a certain time after conception abortion should be allowed and must not after. A mother's life (in the case of health reasons when a woman's life may be in danger) would have priority over an unborn's life though in my book.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

I am pro-choice. I cannot fathom a situation where e.g. in the worst case (rape resulting in unwanted pregnancy) the woman should be compelled against her will to carry a fetus to term. Part of the beauty of pro-creation is that, ideally, both partners WANT it to happen (hence the prefix, "pro-" creation). At the very least, the would-be mother, as the host, should definitely want to carry to term; and that to me is the beauty of "pro-" choice.

• Like 2

I am pro-choice. I cannot fathom a situation where e.g. in the worst case (rape resulting in unwanted pregnancy) the woman should be compelled against her will to carry a fetus to term. Part of the beauty of pro-creation is that, ideally, both partners WANT it to happen (hence the prefix, "pro-" creation). At the very least, the would-be mother, as the host, should definitely want to carry to term; and that to me is the beauty of "pro-" choice.

I agree. Every child wanted, every mother willing, is a beautiful thing!

• Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

Science: is telling us more and more about the development timetable for embryos and fetuses. For example, it seems that 6 weeks is the timeframe for the developments that SA mentioned, while still in the embryonic stage. Fetuses seem to become viable, depending on the individual, somewhere between the 21st and 27th weeks. Less than 1% of abortions in Canada occur beyond the 20th week.

Morality: What science will never be able to decide for us is: what is a human being? Empathy plays a dominant role in such visceral decisions, which are ultimately moral in nature, whatever the science may be. Obviously, more people will consider a 36-week fetus as a human with rights than will consider a 1-week embryo as a human with rights. (In Canada, no fetuses are recognized in law as persons.) In between is a large area of varying greyness, in which each must decide where their own empathy begins. Not an easy, or a black-and-white, issue which can be definitively decided on objective grounds by third-parties.

Practicalities: Those of us who remember the bad-old days know full well that many abortions will take place, one way or the other, whether the woman has the legal choice or not. All of us would vastly prefer any woman that we care for to have an abortion in a safe and supportive medical environment than in the alternative of some illegal, desperation-ridden, unsafe "chop-shop".

Good info WIT as always. Then after 20 weeks I believe that human rights of the unborn precedes the woman's right of choice for the mother, unless mother's health is at risk if she keeps her baby (in which case human rights of the mother (to live) precedes the right of the unborn). I believe this strikes a right balance between a woman's rights and human rights of the unborn.

Also I think that 20 weeks provide plenty of time for mother to decide in cases of rape/unwanted/accidental pregnancy and beyond that abortion should not be allowed unless under extraordinary situations (like a health risk to mother). An unborn with heart beating and brain/nerves feeling has no choice like her mother does, but has rights too. My view anyways.

Edited by S*****t Ad*****r

Sometimes I feel like my answers are going to be so obvious that it's almost not even worth it to post them. Hahaha.

Pro-choice all the way.

Sometimes I feel like my answers are going to be so obvious that it's almost not even worth it to post them. Hahaha.

Pro-choice all the way.

I feel the same way. You know I am going to be blunt and to the point, I wonder if people get sick of hearing it? :P

Pro Choice.

I don't believe abortion should be a substitution for birth control, but in the case of unwanted/accidental/or high risk pregnancies.

And generally speaking, it's a personal choice, not a decision to be imposed

by others

RG

Absolutely pro-choice.

I understand, however, why some of those who take the other view are so passionate about their stance.

Regardless...freedom of choice, freedom of speech, freedom of association.

• Like 2

Good info WIT as always. Then after 20 weeks I believe that human rights of the unborn precedes the woman's right of choice for the mother, unless mother's health is at risk if she keeps her baby (in which case human rights of the mother (to live) precedes the right of the unborn). I believe this strikes a right balance between a woman's rights and human rights of the unborn.

Also I think that 20 weeks provide plenty of time for mother to decide in cases of rape/unwanted/accidental pregnancy and beyond that abortion should not be allowed unless under extraordinary situations (like a health risk to mother). An unborn with heart beating and brain/nerves feeling has no choice like her mother does, but has rights too. My view anyways.

This seems to be a sensible approach to protect both lives. Problem is the artificial date range. I just bought an XBOX for a kid that was born at 20 weeks and 4 days. He's got some issues, but he's a sweetheart

No surprises from me, either: pro-choice, emphatically.

Every woman I have known who has faced this question has agonized over it and made her choice with enormous integrity. I'm willing to trust women to do what's best for them and for their current, or future, children.

I believe that men should have zero say in the matter. Only her mother, a female doctor, or girl friends should have any influence on her decision.

I have seen too many young struggling single mothers with despair in their eyes.

This seems to be a sensible approach to protect both lives. Problem is the artificial date range. I just bought an XBOX for a kid that was born at 20 weeks and 4 days. He's got some issues, but he's a sweetheart

Yes I understand what you say but we have to have some cut off date after which the fetus becomes a living thing (with heart, brain and nerves and feeling pain) and based on the best of research as WIT indicated, 20 weeks seems to be the best cut off date range we can come up with.

It appears that the majority concentrate solely on the woman's right to choose. I couldn't agree more. But what most forget is that the baby has rights too and there must be a balance between the two rights. I am not speaking on behalf of women which I too believe only a woman has a say in this matter but I speak out on behalf of voiceless choiceless baby but with rights in this case.

Before 20 weeks woman's rights precedes and after 20 weeks, baby's. It is amazing that less than 19 weeks later the same mother is willing to sacrifice her life to save the same baby's life. Adoption instead of abortion after 20 weeks is always a choice too for the despaired single mothers.

Who is determining the foetus' rights? The foetus is part of the woman, not an individual. When you are born, full term, premature, whatever gestation, you become a legal person wiith full protection under the Charter. The foetus has no Charter rights.

Posted via Mobile Device

As a male, I support the woman regardless of her choice. It is her choice (her body) after all. I just make sure she knows that I will be there for her (and the baby) no matter what her decision.

Guest W***ledi*Time
... we have to have some cut off date ... and based on the best of research as WIT indicated, 20 weeks seems to be the best cut off date range we can come up with....

I respect SA's personal position and the ideals and reasoning behind it. However, since my name is mentioned in connection with fixed cut-off dates, I'd like to remind everyone what my position on cut-off dates actually is:

Morality ... science will never be able to decide for us ... each must decide where their own empathy begins. Not an easy, or a black-and-white, issue which can be definitively decided on objective grounds by third-parties. ...