Which is worse: Walmart or strip club?

Guest W***ledi*Time

Light reading suitable for your Sunday brunch ...

Opinion from Mike Argento in the York, Pennsylvania Daily Record, 4 Mar 2011:

http://www.ydr.com/opinion/ci_17538669

Newberry Township resident Shirley Wilt was speaking for her neighbors when she leveled her objections to the possible opening of a strip joint in the home of a former massage parlor just off of Interstate 83.

She was concerned that the strip joint would give the community a bad name, that its presence would sully the community as the kind of place that harbors a business that traffics in the exploitation of women. She said the community is growing and it didn't need that kind of thing. She cited the construction of a new Walmart as evidence of the community's economic and social progress.

Which, of course, raises the question: Which is worse, a strip joint or a Walmart?

It may seem like a one-sided argument to many of you. One is a place where women are allegedly exploited and humanity is degraded, and the other has a pole in the middle of a stage.

In a way, they are very similar. Both offer underemployment to single mothers and give old guys a place to hang out during the day. And both, when you leave, make you feel like you need a shower. (Or so I've been told.)

But it's easy to see why people in Newberry Township would be upset at the presence of a strip club in their neighborhood. Who would want that? Well, some people might want it to reduce their commute to the strip joint.

Along those lines, when you Google "Walmart vs. strip club," the first thing that appears is a story out of West Virginia - it had to be either West Virginia or Florida - about a couple who was arrested for stealing a motorized cart from Walmart and driving it to a nearby strip joint. The story says, shockingly, that alcohol was involved.

Now, if their local strip club were closer, this couple would not have felt compelled to steal a motorized cart from a Walmart and would have continued to live full and interesting lives without having to endure a close encounter of the law enforcement kind.

But no, their favorite strip club wasn't within walking distance and was a motorized cart-ride away.

The same Google search brings up a survey done on a discussion forum for young mothers called Baby Center. The question was: Would you rather work at Walmart or a strip joint?

At last count, strip club was winning, easily.

Among the comments posted by the women on the site:

"I have actually worked at Walmart and a strip club before, and I'm telling you that the strip club was the better job."

"Even though you probably get insurance, etc., at Walmart, and practically speaking I do need things like that, I'd just feel so degraded working there."

"The strip club . . . the health insurance is probably better."

One person asked, "How do you think people who work at Walmart feel about this?" Another replied, "How do you think strippers feel about this?"

A lot of women who work or worked at Walmart have expressed their feelings in a legal manner. In 2000, a Walmart worker named Betty Dukes filed a suit against the corporation claiming it discriminated against women in promotions, pay and job assignments. It has grown into a class-action suit that seeks reparations for more than a million women. The case, the largest civil rights case in the nation's history, is currently before the U.S. Supreme Court, which, considering its proclivities, will rule by a 5-4 vote to repeal the 19th Amendment. (For those keeping score at home, that's the one that granted women the right to vote in 1920.)

And then, separate from that lawsuit, was the $12 million settlement Walmart paid last March in a sex discrimination complaint filed in Kentucky. And then, of course, there was the $640 million Walmart paid in 2008 to settle 63 different suits filed by employees who claimed mistreatment. And then, last year, there was the $86 million settlement it paid workers in California and the $40 million in Massachusetts.

But still. Strip clubs don't fare much better. A number of strip joints have been sued by dancers, claiming they weren't paid wages and were forced to work overtime without proper recompense. Strippers, according to numerous sources, including the Wall Street Journal, are considered independent contractors and work for tips.

But still, the pay works out to more than minimum wage. According to a 2010 study by the University of Leeds, strippers earn an average of $74,000 a year - a figure that may be skewed by the high-end of the business. The same study found that strippers had a high level of satisfaction with their jobs and that they don't believe they are being exploited.

A strip club might not be the best business to have as a neighbor, but what about Walmart? At least strip clubs sully only the surrounding neighborhood. Walmart has been criticized for years for its lax enforcement of labor standards required of its suppliers, mostly manufacturers in third-world countries and China. Allegations of taking advantage of child labor - clothing for kids made by kids - have dogged the retailer.

Even forgetting about that, Walmart relies on cheap foreign labor to keep prices low. Manufacturing jobs leave the country, which keeps wages here low.

And it all results in Walmart being among the lead dogs in the race to the bottom of the economic food chain.

At least in a strip club, you're supporting American workers.

One dollar bill at a time.

Or so I've been told.

Wallmart under pays it employees, It exploits it employs, causes other business to shut down thatare mmom and pop stores.

Walmart has been caught violating the labor code and has used Union breaking methods, by shutting down unionized stores.

Sorry, but this is making the capitalist in me "come out to play": How can Walmart be underpaying its employees if they voluntarily stay there and work?

Sorry, but this is making the capitalist in me "come out to play": How can Walmart be underpaying its employees if they voluntarily stay there and work?

when there aint much choice left something is better then nuthin.

here is something strange.

A friend went and applied for a job at a new wallmart in Ottawa.

apparently they asked and scheduled about 200 people for shifts in setting the store up and full time positions......only half actually showed up for their shifts......go figure that one.

That reminds me of an expression one hears now and then ... just showing up for work puts you ahead of half the population or something like that.

And is the lack of other jobs in the economy Walmart's fault?

"Insiders point out Wal-Mart's imports from China have largely influenced the

U.S. trade deficit in China, which is expected to reach US$150 billion this

year."

http://www.organicconsumers.org/corp/walmartchina113004.cfm

And where did all those manufacturing jobs go ?

And is the lack of other jobs in the economy Walmart's fault?

Actually yes it is as when they open a store similar to other businesses they undercut the prices and the smaller stores that are run by single owners have to layoff employees b closing because they can't compete with wallmarts prices.

Yes it is wallmarts fault.

They pay minuim wage wich is usually way below poverty line standards, if you re a floor person. unless you are a manager there.

So yes wallmart does create unemployment and a poorer economy.

I mean no disrespect, but you guys aren't understanding how an economy actually works. The only reason Walmart exists is because there is a market (ie, demand) for mass-merchandized goods (ie, supply) at inexpensive prices. Walmart doesn't create the demand, the people that shop there do. If Walmart doesn't offer the lowest prices, someone else will.

There is also a market for labor (ie, supply) at wages at or slightly above minimum wage from retailers like Walmart, fast food places, etc. (ie, demand). If people weren't willing to work for those wages there would be a labor shortage and wages would likely rise until there is a balance between supply of labor willing to work for the higher prices and demand for labor at that price.

If Walmart was to artificially pay its employees more, it would have to charge more for its goods in order to pay its investors a return on their investment. At the same time, another retailer ... call it Acme ..., who otherwise is operating in the same market, pays its employees the going market rate. Because it is paying its employees less it can offer to sell its products for cheaper than Walmart. Wallmart loses market share to Acme, who then becomes the next Walmart. If Walmart continues to act out of sync with the market, sooner or later it goes out of business. But Acme is there to replace it.

Wallmart is a symptom, not a cause. Arguing with basic laws of economics are, respectfully, is like arguing with gravity.

Chinamart doesn't play fair trade.

Walmart doesn't make anything, just buy and sell.

I'm sure the Chinese love them. The Chinese know that manufacturing is key to a countrys future strength, and saturating/undercutting markets destroys the competiton. But, we "Americans" think short term gain, the bargain. Someday we will All be so poor, we can"t afford to shop anywhere else ? Is that the Walmart plan ?

We could save a lot of money on education, like, how smart do you have to be to stock shelves ?

Was in Can Tire the other day (yes another company selling truck loads of Chinese "dumping"). Oh, look, a set of wrenches for $10. But now I don't really need them, because the good paying job I Had, has disappeared, due to Chinese imports ! Gravity, what can you do ?

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

"Indeed, as Vlasic discovered, the real story of Wal-Mart, the story that never gets told, is the story of the pressure the biggest retailer relentlessly applies to its suppliers in the name of bringing us "every day low prices." It's the story of what that pressure does to the companies Wal-Mart does business with, to U.S. manufacturing, and to the economy as a whole. That story can be found floating in a gallon jar of pickles at Wal-Mart."

"Wal-Mart has the power to squeeze profit-killing concessions from vendors"

"People ask, 'How can it be bad for things to come into the U.S. cheaply? How can it be bad to have a bargain at Wal-Mart?' Sure, it's held inflation down, and it's great to have bargains," says Dobbins. "But you can't buy anything if you're not employed. We are shopping ourselves out of jobs."

• Like 1

Chinamart doesn't play fair trade.

Walmart doesn't make anything, just buy and sell.

I'm sure the Chinese love them. The Chinese know that manufacturing is key to a countrys future strength, and saturating/undercutting markets destroys the competiton. But, we "Americans" think short term gain, the bargain. Someday we will All be so poor, we can"t afford to shop anywhere else ? Is that the Walmart plan ?

We could save a lot of money on education, like, how smart do you have to be to stock shelves ?

Was in Can Tire the other day (yes another company selling truck loads of Chinese "dumping"). Oh, look, a set of wrenches for $10. But now I don't really need them, because the good paying job I Had, has disappeared, due to Chinese imports ! Gravity, what can you do ?

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

"Indeed, as Vlasic discovered, the real story of Wal-Mart, the story that never gets told, is the story of the pressure the biggest retailer relentlessly applies to its suppliers in the name of bringing us "every day low prices." It's the story of what that pressure does to the companies Wal-Mart does business with, to U.S. manufacturing, and to the economy as a whole. That story can be found floating in a gallon jar of pickles at Wal-Mart."

"Wal-Mart has the power to squeeze profit-killing concessions from vendors"

"People ask, 'How can it be bad for things to come into the U.S. cheaply? How can it be bad to have a bargain at Wal-Mart?' Sure, it's held inflation down, and it's great to have bargains," says Dobbins. "But you can't buy anything if you're not employed. We are shopping ourselves out of jobs."

I agree, except I wouldn't say we are shopping ourselves out of jobs as much as tax policy and labor requirements (labor rates, benefits, pensions, etc.) especially in Europe and North America, simply make it much cheaper to manufacture goods elsewhere.

I have to ask this Question Kubrickfan d you work for Wallmart?

You seem to be defending them. Do you defend their tatic of closing any store, that becomes unionized.

The owners of Wallmart are billionaires. why does Wallmart need all those billions to buy sport franchises such as the St. Louis blues and and NBA team.

Could they not give back a billion dollars of profit back to the lower paid employees who are struggling below the poverty line.:icon_confused::work4sex:

I hate Walmart, but you can't deny they revolutionized procurement and distribution. To simply say they are evil is quite narrow minded since they embody what capitalism is all about.

And they're so rich they should be giving billions back to the people who work for them? That destroys the business model. How's about instead of spending money on things that are not necessities in your life - like SP's - you give all that money to someone begging on the street?

What, are people worried about the crime surrounding a strip club? I bet there is shoplifting and staff theft everyday in every single walmart in North America. Try walking out of a strip club with one of the girls hidden under your coat lol.

• Like 1

Try walking out of a strip club with one of the girls hidden under your coat lol.

Excellent idea! :) Wish I'd thought of that years ago. I think I'll need a bigger coat. Maybe I can get a deal at Wal-Mart...hmmm....uh oh...

I have to ask this Question Kubrickfan d you work for Wallmart?

You seem to be defending them. Do you defend their tatic of closing any store, that becomes unionized.

The owners of Wallmart are billionaires. why does Wallmart need all those billions to buy sport franchises such as the St. Louis blues and and NBA team.

Could they not give back a billion dollars of profit back to the lower paid employees who are struggling below the poverty line.:icon_confused::work4sex:

No, I dont work for Walmart. I'm just an unapologetic capitalist.

Walmart may have a couple shareholders that are billionaires, but most of their stock is held by tens of thousands of individual shareholders, institutional investors, mutual funds and pension funds all of whom demand a return on their investment. If you have a pension or a mutual fund, you could very well own some stock as well.

For the reasons I already explained, they cant just give money to their employees and be competitive. And yes, it may be the employees union, by the store is owned by Walmart and the owners should be allowed to do whatever they want legally to their asset including closing it down if it can't be profitable.

Also, for the record, I'm neither pro- nor anti-Walmart. I'm anti-lack of economic knowledge.

Now ... as to sneaking out of the strip club with one of those wonderful ladies ... that's just a wonderful mental image!

Strip Club or Walmart? Well strip club of course :)

BTW Target is coming to Canada too :) Zellers name will be leaving