Health clinic in Ottawa

Hi guys

It's that time again for me, i usually get tested for STD test every 6 months and when i do so, i go to the Health clinic on Clarence.

I was wondering which clinic or doctor you go to? are there any other clinic in the Ottawa region or Quebec side that do STD testing, either walkins or with an appointment.

Are there other place you can recommend?

Thanks

Sonoma

• Like 3

Hi Sonoma,

I go to the Somerset West Community Health Centre.

I've never had to wait more than 15min to see some one at the walkin clinic and the Nurce Practitioners who work there are top notch. I've never had better care any where. You have to live in the catchment area but it's quite large and they will see anyone who's a sex worker regardless of where they live.

November

Great topic and should be a sticky.

It'll be great to know where to go for anonymous std check

Edited by BootyLoving

Hi Sonoma,

I go to the Somerset West Community Health Centre.

I've never had to wait more than 15min to see some one at the walkin clinic and the Nurce Practitioners who work there are top notch. I've never had better care any where. You have to live in the catchment area but it's quite large and they will see anyone who's a sex worker regardless of where they live.

November

Is that the one right by Somerset and Booth?? I went there the other day and they wouldnt see me! It was a Asian lady, she told they do not do STD testing there and that I do not live within the community I would have to go else where anyways. I pretty much told her she was lying, that I know many people that come here and get tested. All she kept saying is , I am sorry I can not accomadate you.

What is up with that?? It's not like I walked in there with thigh highs and hooker boots, I had no make up and was wearing yoga pants!! So it cant be because I looked a certain way! So in the end I had to go to clarence and wait almost 5 hours! A great way to spend the day!

Is that the one right by Somerset and Booth?? I went there the other day and they wouldnt see me! It was a Asian lady, she told they do not do STD testing there and that I do not live within the community I would have to go else where anyways. I pretty much told her she was lying, that I know many people that come here and get tested. All she kept saying is , I am sorry I can not accomadate you.

What is up with that?? It's not like I walked in there with thigh highs and hooker boots, I had no make up and was wearing yoga pants!! So it cant be because I looked a certain way! So in the end I had to go to clarence and wait almost 5 hours! A great way to spend the day!

I went to SWCHC and they turned me away, even when I pleaded "This is the only place that doesn't treat me like shit for being a sex worker!"

I went to SWCHC and they turned me away' date=' even when I pleaded "This is the only place that doesn't treat me like shit for being a sex worker!"[/quote']

So I wonder why some people can get tested there and some are turned away? A clinic should not selective on who they treat, they hand out crack pipes and needles to junkies and they wont treat someone who wats to make sure they a safe and clean??!! Now i almost want to call someone and complain about them. That's not professional and fair. Am I wrong to think that??

So I wonder why some people can get tested there and some are turned away? A clinic should not selective on who they treat, they hand out crack pipes and needles to junkies and they wont treat someone who wats to make sure they a safe and clean??!! Now i almost want to call someone and complain about them. That's not professional and fair. Am I wrong to think that??

I would like to know their reasons for only serving people in their area. Who funds them?

I do know a lot of the staff and they are super awesomely sex-work positive. So I'd like to keep going there!

I would like to know their reasons for only serving people in their area. Who funds them?

I do know a lot of the staff and they are super awesomely sex-work positive. So I'd like to keep going there!

But thats the thing, they didnt even know I wasnt from that area before she said no, then she turned over my med card and saw that I dont live in the area!

But thats the thing, they didnt even know I wasnt from that area before she said no, then she turned over my med card and saw that I dont live in the area!

Yeah, they only serve people in the Somerset West area. I'm not sure the reasons.

If I have a concern the first stop for me is my family physician, he will give me a requisition for a blood test immediately.

There are several reasons for going this route. The first is that he has records of all my medication and medical conditions for the last fifteen years. An since I'm older this is important.

The second reason is that if I have concerns and need to be tested, and then found positive for an STD I would expect him to be front and centre for my treatment.

So, if you can find a competent doctor to be your regular care giver, it will pay dividends with consistent long term care, and after you have a rapport there is no embarrisement factor.

I'll Swing by the Sommerset West Community Health Center tomorrow (Tuesday 15 2011) and find out what's going on regarding STI testing and SPs. What I'm hearing here isn't lineing up with what I've been told at the clinic.

Wish me luck, November

hi guys

thanks for the suggestion, i decided to try appletree i got to say the service and doctor was very nice there website was saying wait time was 45min it took about 1h15 before my turn was up, pretty good.

Sonoma

It took me a long time to get the courage to see my family doctor for testing. He is an older and very conservative man and I didn't know how he might react.

He didn't blink an eye and told me we should always come to our family doctor for the best care.

I feel much better knowing my entire health care is in his capeable hands, now that he knows the truth I don't have to worry about any slip ups during an appointment.

Its 2011, time for judgements to be taken away!

Hi Loves,

I spoke to the person looking after the front desk at the Walk In Clinic that's part of the Sumerset West Community Health Center today. They told me that they do and they don't see sex workers from out side there catchment area.

And that the clinic offers anonymous STI testing and treatment.

I read that as you don't have to tell them who you are or where you live to get tested or treated for an STI.

But they stressed that someone with an OHIP card has other options if they live out side the SWCHC catchment area.

I've left my name and number and someone from their Harm Reduction Team is going to get in touch with me tomorow to talk further about their policy, So hopefully I'll have more answers for you all then.

Testing sex workers falls well with in SWCHC stated mission statement and goals.

Bear with me, November

November:

I have heard of other community health centres like Sandy Hill, Centretown, and Carlington doing the same thing. Which is why it's probably best to go to the main City of Ottawa clinic on Clarence.

It has something to do with them just serving the people who live in that area. Maybe it has something to with wanting to be able to keep the spots open for their own residents or it's a tax-allocation thing.

Who knows?

I have done anonymous testing through the City of Ottawa mobile van, but a lot of people don't like doing it that way for fear that someone might see them get into the van and think they are there for needles.

My family doctor is SP-friendly, so I don't have a problem seeing him.

Good luck in finding out November. I'd like to know the bottom line as well.

good to here apple tree was helpful. My gp was with them and I followed him to his clinic.

I get into appletree pretty quickly as them have me on file if its an emergency.

There are several appletree clinics hrougout the city. and they share files when needed.

Edited by E.D. man

Guest S**a*Q

I just go to the Appletree Medical Centre and say....

"I just broke up with a boyfriend... Can I get the whole std testing thing?"

And they do. :)

I don't say that I am an SP...just say that I am sexually active with a lot of people and they normally don't bother asking more...they just do the testing. I go at Clarence, never had a problem there but I feel that they are maybe not the most SP friendly...I've request once a mouth swab and the nurse was a really small muslim lady...she literally told me and I quote " You're a hooker or what?". Apparently "normal" people never ask for it.

Some people are really still conservative...

I don't say that I am an SP...just say that I am sexually active with a lot of people and they normally don't bother asking more...they just do the testing. I go at Clarence, never had a problem there but I feel that they are maybe not the most SP friendly...I've request once a mouth swab and the nurse was a really small muslim lady...she literally told me and I quote " You're a hooker or what?". Apparently "normal" people never ask for it.

Some people are really still conservative...

I just went and asked for the same thing, I had to argue with them to get it, they said it wasnt nessessary and I dont need it, I just simple said, I do, I want it and dont question why I am asking for it.

How can you be a conservative person working in a clinic that is mostly geared towards testing and handing out needles to drug users?? I think you knew what the job was when you applied for it??