Similarity and attraction....

I'm reading a book called Mathematics and Sex and just had to share a part of it:

Y=5.44x+6.62

Don Byrne and Don Nelson uncovered the equation. This is the relationship they found between attraction and similarity. The equation says this: when you are chatting with someone, it is not how many topics you see eye to eye on, but the proportion of topics on which you do that affects attraction. The higher the proportions of similar attitudes, the greater the liking will be. So if you discuss two topics like music and food, and match up on one, you will experience the same level of attraction as if you discussed four and matched up on two. And whether you are discussing how you feel about abortion or dark chocolate is secondary. It is all about proportion or quantity of similarity, not quantity. It's interesting and I'm sure this can be used to seduce someone. The key is to make sure you do a lot of agreeing. but the beauty is you don't have to compromise when it comes to these topics you feel passionate about. Just make sure you steer the conversation on to something trivial every so ofter and agree with whatever the seducee puts forth. Easy as 1, 2, 3! (Is this a math joke?!)

The more you approve of someone's personal attributes, whether they are ideas, actions or looks, the more they will be attracted to you. So commenting on how yummy someone's cooking is (something personal) is going to be more favorable in terms of attraction than agreeing with their views on the latest political party (impersonal-well, for most people) Flattery will get you everywhere, but not everyone has it!

Just my rambling half cent this morning and wondering if this makes for good dinner party conversation? lol!

Edited by Sensual Erin

WOW Erin! I couldn't agree more strongly - now let's get together. JK. Actually I do think it is an interesting observation. Hugs Cub

Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you, Winnepegcub. I knew eventually someone would understand these observations. If we have no communicative understanding of each other or limited skills in this area, I wish us all luck in our journey of understanding what lies beneath us all.....; )

Hugs,

Erin

I'm making dinner right now. Stouffers TV dinner, of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and added knorr gravy to make it similar and experience the same level of proportion of quantity to food flattery, versus quantity? I think I matched up on two of the most significant, instead of four? That equals Y=5.44x+6.62, on the "good cook" ratio right? : )

I'm reading a book called Mathematics and Sex and just had to share a part of it:

Y=5.44x+6.62

Don Byrne and Don Nelson uncovered the equation. This is the relationship they found between attraction and similarity. The equation says this: when you are chatting with someone, it is not how many topics you see eye to eye on, but the proportion of topics on which you do that affects attraction. The higher the proportions of similar attitudes, the greater the liking will be. So if you discuss two topics like music and food, and match up on one, you will experience the same level of attraction as if you discussed four and matched up on two. And whether you are discussing how you feel about abortion or dark chocolate is secondary. It is all about proportion or quantity of similarity, not quantity. It's interesting and I'm sure this can be used to seduce someone. The key is to make sure you do a lot of agreeing. but the beauty is you don't have to compromise when it comes to these topics you feel passionate about. Just make sure you steer the conversation on to something trivial every so ofter and agree with whatever the seducee puts forth. Easy as 1, 2, 3! (Is this a math joke?!)

The more you approve of someone's personal attributes, whether they are ideas, actions or looks, the more they will be attracted to you. So commenting on how yummy someone's cooking is (something personal) is going to be more favorable in terms of attraction than agreeing with their views on the latest political party (impersonal-well, for most people) Flattery will get you everywhere, but not everyone has it!

Just my rambling half cent this morning and wondering if this makes for good dinner party conversation? lol!

Don't know about all that, but I'll bet if you taught math when I was in high school I would have paid real close attention and passed

RG

Guest tr*****e

So that's what I've been trying to quantify!! Thank you OP, for illuminating another dark corner of my mind(there are many XD)

Just make sure you steer the conversation on to something trivial every so ofter and agree with whatever the seducee puts forth. Easy as 1, 2, 3!

You won me over at 1. 2 and 3 were over the top. Next time could you count backwards to me?