I've read a bunch of novels from Michael Crichton, Steven King, and Dan Brown recently. I really enjoyed Andromeda Strain, Next, and State of Fear from Crichton. And loved Angels and Demons from Brown, more so than Davinci code. Currently tackling The Stand from King, this will probably take me a while though, lol.

For some lighter reading I was reading the Walking Dead comics, what the TV series is based off. The TV series though is kinda doing it's own thing though and not following the comics to closely but some of the major things are still there.

Growing up, back in my late teens, I was really into Political/espionage thrillers by Tom Clancy and Robert Ludlum.

I really enjoyed Andromeda Strain, Next, and State of Fear from Crichton.

Andromeda Strain and Next were great books indeed. I really like Next as it talked the possible implications of genetics testing.

Am incredibly surprised the New York Times' No. One Best Seller trilogy of "50 Shades of Grey" is not up here yet. It has incredible sexual horse power and so much more.

Any comments or reviews from Cerbites so far....

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Just finished the latest Game Of Thrones "A Dance With Dragons". Along read over 1000 pages but quite enjoyable. By George R.R. Martin

Jaws by Peter Benchley is one of my favorite novels. A little dated but it still reads remarkably well today. It's quite different from the film in a lot of ways. It's as much about the economic effects this shark is having on this resort community as it is about the shark attacks. I also like how it doesn't demonize the shark like the movies tend to do. It's simply a natural predator doing what it was created to do.

Right now however I'm once again making my way through Stephen King's Dark Tower series and the other novels associated with the DT series. I'm on 'Salem's Lot right now. Much like Jaws it's not so much a vampire story as it is a story about how this small community reacts to the growing realization that there's a vampire in their midst. One thing I love about King's writing is that his characters are almost always "real" people in the sense that they're all too human, flawed, and imperfect. And they react how real people would react when thrust into these extraordinary circumstances. In that sense I guess he probably tells the most "realistic" stories of that genre.

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Re A Game Of Thrones /The show only covers part of the character development. You will enjoy the read a lot more I am predicting!

Re A Game Of Thrones /The show only covers part of the character development. You will enjoy the read a lot more I am predicting!

Yes, I'm finding the character development, and even the fuller contextualization and background to be very nice.

Porthos

Guest N***he**Ont**y

I am currently reading the latest release in the Dune Series written by Brian Herbert Sisterhood Of Dune. So far its pretty good. Dune is classic series that is always a good read!

I've read other Koontz novels but none compare to this.

I like being surprised and I promise you if you read it there is a part where you will say "holy fuck, did not see that coming".

From_the_Corner_of_His_Eye.jpg

I am currently reading the latest release in the Dune Series written by Brian Herbert Sisterhood Of Dune. So far its pretty good. Dune is classic series that is always a good read!

Is it any good? The original six books are great, yes, but so far I've always been disappointed at the less-talented son's attempts to cash in on his father's creation...

I am fan of Kurt Vonnegut's early work; Mother Night and Slaughterhouse 5". On the lighter side James Joyce has always provided me with a "grey matter" workout.

I'm typically a non-fiction type of guy, but decided to pick this book up on a whim this year and barely managed to get any sleep until I finished it. Fantastic novel from a first time author

51gIgFnmSPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Guest N***he**Ont**y

Its not bad. I just accept that it is by a different author with a different spin in the same universe as the first six. I just take one book at a tine. Enjoy!

Is it any good? The original six books are great, yes, but so far I've always been disappointed at the less-talented son's attempts to cash in on his father's creation

Has anyone read the books by John Sarno, he has 2 that I know of.

Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection and

The Mindbody Prescription: Healing the Body, Healing the Pain

Does anyone recommend either of these books?

Just came back from a week of vacation. It rained so there was a ton of time for reading...

It's late to recommend the series, but if you haven't seen the HBO series, the books are phenomenal -

51lQnG3MX-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg511Bl%2BPd1FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg51ZweCYQ7mL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg510jyoXKeiL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg51vq4KN4NCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and for a little light reading that will make you laugh... reminiscent of Tina Fey:

41SYwa1BGcL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Gotta agree that the Game of Thrones series is fantastic. I'm always surprised at the characters who get killed off, the ones you wouldn't expect at all. A pretty bleak universe he's created, but fascinating.

Gotta agree that the Game of Thrones series is fantastic. I'm always surprised at the characters who get killed off, the ones you wouldn't expect at all. A pretty bleak universe he's created, but fascinating.

Cato... couldn't agree more. My daughter's friend warned both of us to "not get attached emotionally to any character." I was cruising through book three and said... WTF??? and then WTF???? and then holy schmidt, WTF???? It takes a really talented author to kill his cast of characters willynilly and still keep you rapt in the series.

Yep. Although I really want them to stop buggering about and bring out book 5 in paperback. It's been in hardback for ages...

For those who want something similar to tide them over... I'd recommend Steven Erikson's Mazalan Book of the Fallen series. Comparable scope and complexity, less swords/more gods and sorcery, if you like that kind of thing, similar risks with getting too attached to characters. And no waiting around for the next book as all ten are available now (although I can't comment on the last few as I haven't got to them yet).

Yep. Although I really want them to stop buggering about and bring out book 5 in paperback. It's been in hardback for ages...

It was SUPPOSED to be out next Monday or Tuesday in trade/paperback but....

A Dance With Dragons: A Song Of Ice And Fire: Book Five

by George R.r. Martin

Random House Publishing Group | March 26, 2013 | Trade Paperback

...is now what is being posted on Chapters as of tonight.

Guest N***he**Ont**y

You will find the next two releases a bit different as he had more to plot with so he had to split the original manuscript into two parts. So the plots are more involved as he has more time to develop them.

It was SUPPOSED to be out next Monday or Tuesday in trade/paperback but....

A Dance With Dragons: A Song Of Ice And Fire: Book Five

by George R.r. Martin

Random House Publishing Group | March 26, 2013 | Trade Paperback

...is now what is being posted on Chapters as of tonight.

Now that's just irritating. Probably means some guy in a suit somewhere decided to rake in a few more $$$ off the back of the HBO series by making more people pay twice as much to find out what happens next.

You will find the next two releases a bit different as he had more to plot with so he had to split the original manuscript into two parts. So the plots are more involved as he has more time to develop them.

Well, "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance of Dragons" are really just the two halves of book four. I wouldn't bet against the last two books getting split, either...

As I recall, the UK edition of Dance with Dragons came out as two separate volumes.

I couldn't wait for the paperback so went ahead and bought the hardback. I couldn't put it down. Didn't sleep for days, what with the book and cerb :)

• Like 1