Sexual Exploitation Conference Calls For More Attention To “The Root” Of The Problem

23 minutes ago, drakas said:

We shouldn't want to reduce human trafficking and exploitation?

Reducing trafficking and exploitation is something we all want. But when we read:"We feel that the root of the issue is the men who buy sex," , it ignores major players in this form of crime. Customers who request underaged women with often limited knowledge of English, certainly deserves to get caught and serve time. Both those who simply want consensual arrangements, shouldn't be thrown in the same basket.

I agree that too many places who profit from this are too often ignored when offering illegal services in plain sight. But it seems easier to catch customers than to actually convict those who entrap, smuggle and exploit these women.

If they really want to eradicate this form of crime, they better do better than baiting lonely men looking for grown women.

As Greenteal aptly stated, abolitionists conflate human trafficking and consensual sexwork, which muddies the issue. I agree that human trafficking should be vigorously prosecuted, but when you have others who push moralistic agendas, it leads to valuable resources being allocated in the wrong area, which really does nothing for the “root problem” they seek to eradicate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are clearly lots of people being victimized and having their lives ruined. I can't imagine what the host of the event went through but I guarantee no sane person would want it to happen to anyone else. I think it's good she is sharing her experience. I wish there were better sounding solutions than "arrest the clients" but I'm no expert and the article is confusing to me in the conflating of what seems like very different things. But who knows? Maybe I am just a pig in human clothing after all... :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drakas said:

There are clearly lots of people being victimized and having their lives ruined. I can't imagine what the host of the event went through but I guarantee no sane person would want it to happen to anyone else. I think it's good she is sharing her experience. 

I don't blame her. I blame organizers who invited her to push their one dimensional agenda.

Not all victims were kidnapped and sold. Some ran away from home, others abandoned everything for an unrealistic dream job or simply hanged out with lousy friends. I don't say they deserve to be exploited. But bad decisions based on a lack of life experience got many young women in this type of situation.

Life is not all black and white and solutions to real problems should also be more nuanced.

Society needs real solutions based on facts, not moralistic witch-hunts. While I sincerely hope those affected by human trafficking get the help they need, I feel the focus needs to be on the traffickers themselves as well as the societal/ socio-economic issues which play a part in perpetuating the cycle. What irks me the most about all this are the religious zealots who seek only to punish those who do not align with their world view. I find it ironic that their religion teaches acceptance while they themselves use their position to ostracize, all the while being blissfully unaware of their own hypocrisy.

• Like 2

Someone who has been trafficked and victimized to such an extreme has had a profoundly different experience than pretty much anyone else. I appreciate her courage in reliving that publicly and hopefully it inspires others like her to speak out.

Clearly lots of people are trapped in abusive and unhealthy situations. Whatever is happening it's absolutely not the fault of the person being exploited, there's no gray area about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When considering these abolitionists and their message, have a look to see how much they're doing to fight human trafficking and exploitation that *doesn't* involve sex work. There's plenty of it, especially in the agricultural and domestic services industries. And you'll generally find that they're doing absolutely nothing about it.

The sex is what they care about and what they're trying to shut down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

According to this article she was voluntarily working for an agency before getting sick of it and quit.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/panel-to-explore-demand-fuelling-human-trafficking-in-ns/

"(It) literally one day just popped into my head, 'What am I doing here? I do not want this lifestyle to be my destiny,'"

"And literally one day I got up and I walked out the door. Back in those days we had pagers I smashed my pager and I never looked back."

Edited by drakas

5 minutes ago, drakas said:

According to this article she was voluntarily working for an agency before getting sick of it and quit.

Again, I don't blame her.

We don't know what she went through or her state of mind at the time. No need to judge her.

She has the right to tell her story. Just not sure it was the best place to do it.