Happy #InternationalWhoresDay

Guest lydiahardwood

Today is #InternationalWhoresDay. This day is to commemorate the 1975 strike by sex workers who occupied Église Saint-Nizier in Lyon, France. These sex workers were tired of the inhumane working conditions, stigma and police brutality they faced on a daily basis.

This month is also Pride month, which was also started as a result of police brutality against the LGBTQ+ community. We owe a lot to Marsha P Johnson, Black Transgender activist, who is often hailed as the instigator of Stonewall Riots. She also founded STAR (Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries) with Slyvia Rivera, a radical political collective that provided housing and support to homeless queer youth and sex workers in Lower Manhattan. Her bravery, alongside many other LGBTQ+ activists, has improved safety and understanding for this community.

We've also all heard of the tragic murders of people of colour, often by people who are meant to protect them. This isn't just happening in America but also in Canada, the UK and other countries around the globe.

We still need activism, communities still need our support, we demand change.

This #InternationalWhoresDay we are showing solidarity with the sex work community, LGBTQ+ community and #Blacklivesmatter movement. 

Please use this thread to post articles and relevant information to help us all better educate ourselves on these topics. 💓

No longer dismissed: Marsha P. Johnson and the Stonewall riots

Guest lydiahardwood

A great thread on the background of #InternationalWhoresDay by one of my favourite Providers on Twitter, graceyswer 

On 6/2/2020 at 10:34 PM, vegeta85 said:

How is this not a holiday!?

I love holidays! A good question and I would celebrate it provided I was still able to purchase SEX WORK! lol

Would be nice If only they just allow it to be decriminalized for clients parts of the year. It would greatly benefit the post covid mental health 😉