Enforcement of Sex Laws

Stopping the enforcement of Sex Laws during Covid-19 via Thestar.com

Thoughts? As most providers take cash and other gifts, donations have changed over the past months to virtual transactions. Paper Money transactions are becoming less and less as plastic has taken over; a more auditable transaction.

Would having sex work become a legal form of income in order to receive government benifits during difficult times be a good idea if it means decriminalization?

A Bittersweet future...Thoughts? 

• Thanks 1

Most of the enforcement is toward clients and procurers/managers/pimps.

Ladies selling their own services are protected from prosecution. And as some already explained on other threads, can legally declare their revenue and be eligible to benefits and help. I understand why some would be cautious in declaring this kind of income. But if making a living from it, it's worth learning what can legally declared or not.

CRA does not care how you make your living. If you claim sex work as income, you can file under a code that covers other types of services such as entertainer or consultant etc. If someone has been diligent about same, they can claim the CERB if they meet the requirements. 

Some providers advertise time spent for $ rather than sex even though they can sell sexual services, their clients can’t legally purchase. However there is no law against selling time for companionship So by doing this providers aim to protect their clients. 

But when clients who are nervous about being busted but ask explicit questions over text, email, private message and even over the phone, they do themselves a disservice. 

Then there are the clients who send a provider deposit or payment by e-transfer who then dispute the charge as being fraudulent which then screws up that provider’s ability to use e-transfer. Don’t get me started on that issue.

Edited by Andee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The law certainly need some rewriting. 

I agree with the parts in regard to trafficking and exploitation. But under it's current form, clients share equal responsibility with traffickers and abusers. And while providers are allowed to make a living, clients have no clear legal pathways to allow them to do so.

Under the old laws, it was possible to get legal services from outcalls as long no solicitation was involved and providers were legal age. But now there no distinctions between consensual business relationship and exploitation. Like Andee described, it can be done under subtle language like companionship. But too many don't understand the law and the importance of subtlety. And because of that, MA's and therapist often get harassed even if their ads clearly mention they don't offer extras.

And while ladies are protected if they sell their own services, they lose that protection if they work with others and take some management responsibilities.

We can all agree exploitation and sex trafficking is a problem. But without a clear legal framework to allow consensual transactions, things will remain as dangerous and muddy.

Unfortunately, our current government has no interest in revising existing laws pertaining to sexwork. The only silver lining (if you can call it that) is that we are living under the Liberals, not the Conservatives.

• Thanks 1

Slightly off topic but related please move or let me know if I am in wrong area. I am thinking of using different services like this.

i do NOT want to involve any minors or anyone under the influence of a pimp where their lives are in danger.  I want to be with someone who is doing it for their own benefit and earning their own money? I hope you understand what I am asking. i wish this was totally legalized as that would protect these workers from harm but hey we all need to make a living somehow. But do not want to exploit anyone.

HOW do I confirm if the person I talk to is NOT in these situations?

Is it called INDEPENDENT. thanks guys

2 hours ago, George1387 said:

I was under the impression it was already decriminalized? Is it not ?

It's only decriminalized for providers as long they promote and sell their own services.

But for clients, the purchase of sexual services is illegal. Reason they should remain vague on the nature of the services requested or received.