Protein for muscle development

Hi Folks,

I'm week two now on an intensive work out plan that focuses on core strength and has been as tough as hell, but well worth it. The strength I have gained has been quick but I think I'm lacking in protein. I find myself now craving carbs more than ever and must eat meat every day. I only want to eat meat a few times a week as it's not the healthiest source. I prefer a more vegetable based diet and was wondering if anyone can give me some good protein recommendations? When I walk into the Health Food store the variety is just too much and do not want to have to rely upon Health Food salespeople that may mislead. Thanks ahead for any recommendations.

If you're down with meat analogues, my faves that are all low-fat high-protein are PC meatless breaded chicken strips, gardein 'chickn' breasts, and Yves veggie sausages

Now to be dirty for a minute, I'm sure many guys on here can think of other sources of protein for you! (Heehee, sorry, but it was going to be said at least once I'm sure! :p)

Thanks Cleo. I'm going to give the Tofu thing a try. I've gone vegetarian before and if I can season it properly I may like. I'm looking for powder recommendations as well that won't encourage muscle bulk, just nutrients.

Oh my gosh! You're right. What have I set myself up for? lol! You've all been warned ahead by Miss Cleo!!!!!

If you're down with meat analogues, my faves that are all low-fat high-protein are PC meatless breaded chicken strips, gardein 'chickn' breasts, and Yves veggie sausages

Now to be dirty for a minute, I'm sure many guys on here can think of other sources of protein for you! (Heehee, sorry, but it was going to be said at least once I'm sure! :p)

Guest S**a*Q

The best bang for your buck for protein, when I was into bodybuilding, was cottage cheese *(Tuna as well, but you can only eat so much tuna). As for cottage cheese, you can get low fat options as well, or full fat. I liked it as a dessert, I'd mix it with fresh fruit or yogurt.

For powders, just read the labels. Find something that's low in carbs or sugars and has the highest protein percentage. Some of the serving sizes are misleading as they are smaller than the others.

As for what brand of protein, I was more of a whey protein, but now there's soy and all other kinds as well. I believe that GNC used to have a return policy that you could return an opened container of powder if you didn't like the taste. :D That helps in choosing a protein powder.

I'm looking for powder recommendations as well that won't encourage muscle bulk, just nutrients.

Name-brand whey protein powders will fit the bill. Look (or ask) for whey isolate; it is a purer protein with lower lactose levels than whey concentrates. A purer protein is available to the body more quickly, handy after workouts. Lower lactose means less of a bloated feeling after consumption, if you have issues with whey. Of course, isolates will be slightly more expensive than whey concentrates which are also available.

I like Ergogenics' New Zealand Whey. Allmax, Optimum Nutrition (ON), Dymatize are also popular.

Edited by 72Nova
speling misteak
  • Like 1

If you like cereal, a couple of Kashi brand have 10 and 13 grams per serving (1 cup).

Add chick peas to your salad to boost your protein. Vegatarian chili with a variety of beans. Just try to establish a safe intake level in case of unflatuling repurconcussions.

Yoghurt smoothies or straight with with fresh berries.

Ooh! Cheese Grommet!

I could go on but I have to stop and think about sex. (other thread)

• Like 1

Guest k**tyl****r

I like the isoflex brand of whey protein. I mix it with almond milk, nuts and berries ;) Dont forget you still need your veggies, salads, fruits, nuts and of course fiber! Just way too much eating thats why I can never keep it up

Thanks so much everyone. I'm overwhelmed by the replies and trying a few. Mind you, that steak and baked potato looks pretty good right now. :)

Additional Comments:

Thanks Berlin. This site is very helpful and great resource. Going through it now.

Here's a handy list that outlines the protein content for a variety of vegetables.

http://www.weightlossforall.com/protein-vegetable.htm

Additional Comments:

The best bang for your buck for protein, when I was into bodybuilding, was cottage cheese *(Tuna as well, but you can only eat so much tuna). As for cottage cheese, you can get low fat options as well, or full fat. I liked it as a dessert, I'd mix it with fresh fruit or yogurt.

For powders, just read the labels. Find something that's low in carbs or sugars and has the highest protein percentage. Some of the serving sizes are misleading as they are smaller than the others.

As for what brand of protein, I was more of a whey protein, but now there's soy and all other kinds as well. I believe that GNC used to have a return policy that you could return an opened container of powder if you didn't like the taste. :D That helps in choosing a protein powder.

I do love my tuna but can't eat more than one a day. I like cottage cheese and may mix with boiled eggs.

I like the fact GNC offers a return policy if you don't like the taste. I bought a latte version of protein and it tasted bad. I never finished it and they're not cheap. Thank you. : )

Guest s****i*

Soy based protein is good for women, I have a phobia of it because of its "estrogenic effects" on men...

The only way I can ensure I get all the protein I need in a day when I'm bodybuilding is by having whey protein shakes like they're going out of style. If you grow want to muscle you need at least 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight split throughout the day. At least guys do.... Women... They're foreign to me.

Whey can give you epic amounts of gas though. It depends on the brand and the enzyme stuff. I like this one http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

Also sulphur based protein in eggs can make you gassy too... I hate farting especially in a gym so look for ones without egg albumin or whatever its called in them like EAS and whatnot.

Hopefully that is helpful. It probably was not. Sorry about mentioning gas. I didn't really spellcheck either so... Sorry

Additional Comments:

also you probalby wont eat enough eggs to get my mentioned effects...

Additional Comments:

and also I don't know if its important but look into the sweeteners they put because some of them have nasty issues later like cancer links and kidney liver stuff. But you'll look good!

Additional Comments:

Also I read somewhere once that Girls fart glitter, it smells like roses, and people cry when it goes away. I'm not sure that's true but if it is then don't worry about my other comments.

Hi Folks,

I'm week two now on an intensive work out plan that focuses on core strength and has been as tough as hell, but well worth it. The strength I have gained has been quick but I think I'm lacking in protein. I find myself now craving carbs more than ever and must eat meat every day. I only want to eat meat a few times a week as it's not the healthiest source. I prefer a more vegetable based diet and was wondering if anyone can give me some good protein recommendations? When I walk into the Health Food store the variety is just too much and do not want to have to rely upon Health Food salespeople that may mislead. Thanks ahead for any recommendations.

You can alway try soybean based protein powder..it all depends also on the type of diet you are in. The best way to find the best protein powder right for you is search online, buy fitness magazines, ask GNC/Popeye sales people for their input. Then make your decision from there.

here here; nothing like a nice juicy steak...steak night tomorrow, 2 beers and a nice steak for 16.50$$$

one of my favorites lets you think you are carbing it-lol-google it check out some recipes-i make a lot of quinoa salads-What is it good for? Quinoa is a beloved standby for vegetarians and vegans striving to get the protein they need. A quarter-cup of uncooked quinoa contains 11% of a person's daily recommended protein. But this is not just any protein: Quinoa packs complete protein, meaning it includes all 9 essential amino acids, a distinction usually reserved for animal protein found in meat and dairy foods

Guest S**a*Q
one of my favorites lets you think you are carbing it-lol-google it check out some recipes-i make a lot of quinoa salads-What is it good for? Quinoa is a beloved standby for vegetarians and vegans striving to get the protein they need. A quarter-cup of uncooked quinoa contains 11% of a person's daily recommended protein. But this is not just any protein: Quinoa packs complete protein, meaning it includes all 9 essential amino acids, a distinction usually reserved for animal protein found in meat and dairy foods

I totally forgot about quinoa... I love it.

My fave meal with that is sauteed mushrooms, onions and garlic on a bed of quinoa!

I just wanted to point out that a number of studies have linked soy to an increased risk of breast cancer in women. Something to think about.

Thanks so much everyone. What a wealth of information and now able to add to my grocery list. What a great community! :) All your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks so much everyone. What a wealth of information and now able to add to my grocery list. What a great community! :) All your help is very much appreciated.

Would you like your protein shaken or stirred?? :) With you I like my protein coming out stroked and shaking ;) LOL kisses Erin ;) makes me wobbly at the knees with you :)

When I was bodybuilding, I would eat a lot of meat and still hit up whey powders.

I've never been a huge fan of vitamins and quick fixes. I just feel if you need a vitamin, it's because your doctor recommended it to you. A balanced diet is always better.

Nonetheless, excellent foods for protein are meat(there's nothing wrong with ground turkey tacos), fish(red snapper is the most nutritious that I know of) and even things like edamame(the green beans you sometimes see at sushi restaurants). Edamame is really easy to make, just boil for a few minutes and add salt to taste. I love em so much I decided to grow some this year.

If you're in desperate need of protein without the hassle of cooking, look at ensure. They have a high protein version. This offers insanely well balanced nutrition including vitamins and minerals. Take it between meals as a snack to gain weight or as a meal replacement to lose weight.