First Election

Got to thinking (I know...dangerous 😆 ) after a thread in Twitter about your teenage years vs now (I'm very poorly paraphrasing the topic) and also day to day in the news talk of politics so my thread combining the two...how many remember the first time they voted be it federal, provincial or municipal politics.

My first election, when I was 18 years old was when Joe Clark PC ran against Trudeau Liberal (that's Pierre Elliot Trudeau, not Justin 😆 ) and Joe Who won a minority government. Flora MacDonald (Kingston and the Islands, riding where I lived at the time) won as MP and became External Affairs Minister.

Anyhow that's the first of many elections I voted in. I did my civic duty although did it affect any change...I doubt it 😆 😥 😆

Does anyone remember and care to share their first time voting

A nostalgic political rambling and likely dumb post...well thread of the day

RG

• Like 1

Me was between Brian Mulroney and John Turner....

Was like choosing between syphilis and gonorrhea. Good argument to cancel a vote.

Agree GT...Its sad to say but that is the face of politics...and why I'm a card carrying "political Agnostic"...its not a case of picking the best, it's a case of picking the least bad of three bad choices

Still do my civic duty though. But I have no delusions

RG

• Like 2

First voted in 1968.  Seen some pretty bad governments but I still vote and hope for the best each time.

• Like 2

Too early in the morning because I read "First Erection" and I tried to remember and it was when I was 8 I think but then I read all the comments from everyone else and had to re-read the headline and it says "Election".  I don't remember my first election, I might have been in my 20's and asked my dad who to vote for and voted for him.

• Like 2

First Erection 😆...could be that too, politician campaigning so they can win office and stick it too us 😆 😳 😆

RG

• Like 2