Seeking Opinions Please

As some may know I have bad knees...actually REALLY BAD knees. Finally after a few years I saw a Surgeon and he's going to do surgery on both knees (scoping them) at the same time. And it looks like it'll be in January which beats a 1-3 year wait which I was led to believe.

The question I have, for those who know. I'm told I'm going to need crutches for a few weeks after the surgery. Which are the best crutches...underarm or forearm crutches to use. The use will be (I hope 😆) short term...a few weeks.

A Lame Rambling I Know

Input Appreciated

Thanks In Advance

RG

• Like 1

If they do both at the same time, I'm not sure crutches are the best. A walker may be much better.

Should be something to discuss with your physiotherapist.

Thanks GT. If a walker I'm set to go...got one already (hand me down, history of bad knees in our family...bad genes and joints 😆)

But doc said I'm going to need crutches post op...that my cane isn't going to work for me. When he said it, wasn't thinking to ask about what type...hell didn't even think about types...a crutch is a crutch is a crutch, right...??? well wrong 🙂

Thanks Again

RG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roamingguy said:

Thanks GT. If a walker I'm set to go...got one already (hand me down, history of bad knees in our family...bad genes and joints 😆)

But doc said I'm going to need crutches post op...that my cane isn't going to work for me. When he said it, wasn't thinking to ask about what type...hell didn't even think about types...a crutch is a crutch is a crutch, right...??? well wrong 🙂

Thanks Again

RG

I never had knee surgery and I'm not a doctor. But when using crutches, you normally need one good leg. If both knees are weak and painful, I'm not quite sure how mobility will work. Reason why talking to a physiotherapist would be helpful to know what you need and how to use it for better mobility and recovery.

I can see if it was just a scope crutches should be fine. I had a scope and surgery on one knee and only used one crutch. If you are having surgery on both I would recommend a wheelchair along with crutches for quick transfers to a couch or bed etc. 

Best of luck on your doctor visit!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Prufrock's Back said:

there is currently a shortage of crutches due to supply chain issues, so I think you will just have to be happy with whatever you get

Not sure where you read that. I find plenty of choices online for new and used(Kijiji). Other than the normal holiday shopping rush, I see no problems.

Guest lydiahardwood

I've never used crutches so can't advise but just wanted to wish you the best of luck @roamingguy❤️ hope your recovery is a speedy one

8 hours ago, Prufrock's Back said:

there is currently a shortage of crutches due to supply chain issues, so I think you will just have to be happy with whatever you get

There is a shortage, been reading and hearing the same thing. The shortage, as I've been led to believe is with loaner crutches hospitals have not with ones for sale.

Thanks

A Hobbling Rambling

RG

• Like 1

Hi Roaming guy and congrats on nailing the surgery. The advice I have is to be sure a pro adjusts them for you. People think that crutches go under the arms and thats what you use to walk WRONG That will not only be incredibly difficult, your pits will kill and so will your back. Its your triceps that compensate for your leg and take all the weight. The tops of the crutches should only rest against your ribs and arm well away from your armpits. Id very much like to save you the pain I was needlessly in so many years ago..

Good luck! And yes, buy used!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JessyCeleste said:

Hi Roaming guy and congrats on nailing the surgery. The advice I have is to be sure a pro adjusts them for you. People think that crutches go under the arms and thats what you use to walk WRONG That will not only be incredibly difficult, your pits will kill and so will your back. Its your triceps that compensate for your leg and take all the weight. The tops of the crutches should only rest against your ribs and arm well away from your armpits. Id very much like to save you the pain I was needlessly in so many years ago..

Good luck! And yes, buy used!

Thanks Jessy. Very Much Appreciated 😊