SO....Father`s day is coming this Sunday and as usual I have no idea what to offer to my dad. I know i will take him out for supper (unknowed restaurant yet), but I have no idea what to buy him....

he already have all the tools you can imagine and is really not techology incline( He does pride himself to have never open a computer). So just here it does cut a lot of what I could offer him.

Help? I am really cluless here

Guest K****r De**xe

Malika there are lots of options

Guys like tickets to

Sports-hockey,golf,baseball,football, team train in gatineau

Music- concert,entertainer,festival(fire works show)

Car show in Mtl, Boat show in TO

Gear- fishing,golf, hunting, auto,

Personal- after shave,cologne,update waredrobe,

Bungee jumping, Hot air balloon ride. Le nordik

Just some ideas good luck XXXXX

Why is there a need for a gift? I've never understood the expectation that a present be given altho I love to buy, wrap, deliver and watch said gift be opened; I do not feel that receiving a gift is mandatory. Get him a really wonderful card and write him a letter. Communicate to him what he means to you, how much you appreciate him as a person and how much you love him. He sounds like he already has the material things in life so give him something that is a truly unique gift from a child to a parent...a genuine thank you. I think it will mean more than anything wrapped in tissue...

cat

• Like 5

Recently, my son took me out to a neighborhood pub and we spent the afternoon talking, watching the girls go by and generally just hanging out. The 20 some bucks for the beer I drank was way cheaper than any gift and meant much more to me. At my time in life, anything I want I have already bought myself. Anf if I haven't he couldn't afford it anyway. Just give him some of your time.

Posted via Mobile Device

Guest ***t***iv***

awe, that's very sweet :)

I think time spent is definitely the best gift.

I also looove doing those coupon book thingies for my family.

It can include invites to dinner, movies, summer activities.

If they need help around the house ever, I include stuff like that. Organize the garage, whatever. The thing is that if you make it, you can personalize it.

SO....Father`s day is coming this Sunday and as usual I have no idea what to offer to my dad. I know i will take him out for supper (unknowed restaurant yet), but I have no idea what to buy him....

he already have all the tools you can imagine and is really not techology incline( He does pride himself to have never open a computer). So just here it does cut a lot of what I could offer him.

Help? I am really cluless here

I usually find that buying them supper and spending time with them is enough. But we usually buy my dad lottery tickets, or gift cards to the

theatre for movies or favorite resaurant or very place to shop.

Well I always try to give my dad a little something for fathers day....

It happens to be this year the same day as his Birthday so Double Lucky

I plan to spent the day With family relaxing and a big BBQ and Campfire ...

To all Dads HAPPY FATHER"S DAY :)

Suzie

I bought papa an ipod touch to replace his old one and a $300 gift card to Future Shop. He's been there for me so it's the least I can do. I tend to spoil the people I care about. :)

A nice shirt from one of the high end stores. It can be a dress shirt or even a golf shirt. I know I really like to wear a well made, quality shirt. Everytime he puts it on he wil think of you.

Hi Malika,

Immediatly after I read your question I knew what I wanted to say but as I read the responses Ricko is sooo on. A present that is exceedingly valuable is a gift of your time. What makes this so great is that it works for both of you. He will have those memories long long after a shirt is worn out or a tool has broken. What is equally important is you will have those memories of those moments even after he has left you. (damm I'm tearing up!)

For the last 20 years I have said that some day I want to go skydiveing, but I just wasn't getting around to it. Last year as a gift one of my sons booked a skydive for he and I. The skydive was good, but it didn't rate in the top 10 things I have done. What was special was the 6 hour drive with he and I to and from the airport and the hour and a half meal at some steakhouse. I can't even remember the steakhouse so you know it was the hour and a half that was important.

This spring another son got himself into some stupid shit. The rescue involved spending 13 hours together, most of it one on one in a vehicle. Thats a lot of talking and most of it wasn't important stuff, just stuff. In the end it is what we needed. He needed to know just how far I would go for him, I needed to know that he still needs me.

I have 1 more son. We spend quite a bit of time together now, which I love , but I am still looking forward to that time in our lives when it is just he and I for hours and hours, and it won't matter if it is fun stuff or hard stuff.

Ok you might ask,' does this work for girl too'. Oh yeah, you bet ! I have 1 grand daughter. No grandaughter could be closed to her grandpa, and still I look forward to the time when it is just she and I together for hours and hours.

Malika, do this for your dad. Book off a day, tell him you and he have to go somewhere (it will involve hours of you and he alone). Then do 1 thing. Could be golf, could be a meal, could be a dinner theatre, could be fishing, what ever. That will be the best gift your father ever gets, and you will share the gift.

You may only do it once in your life. You don't have to do it on father's day but you might want to make plans and tell him this Sunday.

All of this said, I have to tell you; Father's day is the biggest bogus holiday ever. Mother's day YES; most definitely. I think father's day was conceved by Hallmark or something and if they hadn't done it Canadian Tire would have.

There is no one that deserves a father's day more than I do, and yet I feel guilty about there being a 'special' day for me. Malika don't ever feel bad about not having a gift for your father. Just give him a kiss, tell him that you love him for the guy he is and if you can , make him that promise of your time.... chicas/chavez

I'm in agreement with most of the posters on this thread. It's really about time spent and appreciation shown to one of the people who brought you into this world and helped shape (for better or worse) you into the person you are.

On a personal note,

I'm generally always working on holidays (a double shift on mother's day comes to mind) so I never really get to share special events with family. This year I've decided not to let my job take advantage of me yet again. Yesterday I called my father out of the blue and told him that under no circumstances would I be working overtime on father's day and invited him to come to the city for a visit. I could sense his happiness and huge grin through the phone, sometimes the best gifts don't cost a thing! :D

I'm generally always working on holidays (a double shift on mother's day comes to mind) so I never really get to share special events with family.

But as others have said... why on earth do you have to spend time with your nearest and dearest on the particular day that Hallmark has designated? It's the time and the thought and the appreciation that matter, not the day they happen to be given on.

Guest 9**A*****

If you simply let him know that you are thinking about him that is the most important thing. If you can spend actual time with him, then that is priceless, no matter what you do with him. When my father was alive, he loved it when I would just pick him up and take him out for a $3 hamburger at Harvey's or whatever restaurant was in our sight.

In my experience my Dad is tickled pink just to have the company and a visit from his kids. My thing has been to have him and Mom over.... have a drink or two, relax and I BBQ them up a nice supper and just spend time together. Unfortunately with everyone's busy lifestyles, it takes a special designated day to give you that push to do something special for your Dad and Mom. IMHO they don't need a big gift, just their kids.

Yep, I agree with most of the posts above as well, your plan for dinner and to spend some quality time is the answer. I am hosting my parents and siblings for a Barbecue, spending the afternoon together. a small bootle of 15 year old Chivas Regal goes a long way as well.

As so many have already said, it's the time spent together that means the most. My kids and I had an early Father's Day yesterday... we live 500 kms apart and I think the time together was the best gift I could have received. There were messages from both of them today and I know that they do love and appreciate the old guy.

Gifts are great, don't get me wrong... but when you can actually share a laugh or just be close, that is gift enough for me!