What motivates/inspires you?

When life's got you down on your knees and is continuously hoofing you in the ass and kicking sand in your face....what motivates you to get back up, grab life tightly by the balls and and say "Screw you life! I'm not taking your shit lying down anymore!!" ? This can be certain music, maybe a movie, maybe a book. Maybe a person...anything really.

For me, the Rocky movies do it for me every time. Especially this scene from the last film

And also a little known movie called Always Outnumbered Always Outgunned with Laurence Fishburne.

And as for music...these songs always get me going:

Still Unbroken - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Life Won't Wait - Ozzy

Actually Ozzy's new album Scream has a few pick-me-up songs, like Let It Die http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT-m_rlrNMc, Let Me Hear You Scream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5JJy8Z4dNM&ob=av2e and Fearless

Refuse/Resist by Sepultura -

Ac/Dc Thunderstruck http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RukUetw0hAM&ob=av3n

The Razor's Edge

What A Wonderful World - Joey Ramone

Million Dollar Moment - Headstones:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH-QYUz7JAQ

I'm Your Boogie Man - KC and The Sunshine Band

And I did mention the Rocky movies....so laugh if you want but I can't leave out Eye Of The Tiger, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgSMxY6asoE, No Easy Way Out

and of course Gonna Fly Now

:)

• Like 6

Mosh pits.

For so much in my life it always comes back to the friendly violent fun found in a decent sized pit. I wake up the next day bruised and sore, nursing a wicked bangover (brought on by frenzied headbanging of course), but I also feel more calm, and cleansed in a way. I feel like all my worries, fears and stress are wiped away by all the sweat, blood, and beer.

• Like 1

Guest **cely***r***ne

I was out on the town tonight and have had a few, but I will tell you something that has inspired me more than anything EVER...

I was at Cheers, (a bar in downtown Halifax) and while having a smoke, I had not one, not two but three homeless people come to me and ask me how my day was. Then they asked me for money. I gave them all some of course.

But one of them stuck out to me. She took the time to sit and talk, to tell a story.

She had no idea where to go tonight.

Having being homeless a number of times in my life, most recently 2 months ago, I sympathized with her, and really wanted to help.

My friend Katherine and I both gave her cash. She stated that she really just needed a place to sleep. Her life story of struggle, hard times and just plain bad luck has inspired me.

I never knew that in such a city as Halifax that there were next to no resources for homeless women! WTF! I really felt horrible for her, and I genuinely wanted to bring her to my lush hotel and pamper her...but would this tell her that I thought I was better than her? I dont know, I probably never will. I might never see her again, all though I hope I do. Why do we judge these people? Not all of the homeless are drunks, or drug addicts. She was not, and I believe it.

Anyway, her just being here, trying to survive has made me more humble, and sad. I think I have a hard time trying to make ends meet, and here she is with no possessions, no home, nothing to eat. This is exactly where I have been, and I have forgotten how good I have it. Thank you to her for being so human, and reminding me that we are all creatures of Earth.

My God, I wish I could just save the world somedays.

Sorry but this encounter has really moved me.

I was out on the town tonight and have had a few, but I will tell you something that has inspired me more than anything EVER...

I was at Cheers, (a bar in downtown Halifax) and while having a smoke, I had not one, not two but three homeless people come to me and ask me how my day was. Then they asked me for money. I gave them all some of course.

But one of them stuck out to me. She took the time to sit and talk, to tell a story.

She had no idea where to go tonight.

Having being homeless a number of times in my life, most recently 2 months ago, I sympathized with her, and really wanted to help.

My friend Katherine and I both gave her cash. She stated that she really just needed a place to sleep. Her life story of struggle, hard times and just plain bad luck has inspired me.

I never knew that in such a city as Halifax that there were next to no resources for homeless women! WTF! I really felt horrible for her, and I genuinely wanted to bring her to my lush hotel and pamper her...but would this tell her that I thought I was better than her? I dont know, I probably never will. I might never see her again, all though I hope I do. Why do we judge these people? Not all of the homeless are drunks, or drug addicts. She was not, and I believe it.

Anyway, her just being here, trying to survive has made me more humble, and sad. I think I have a hard time trying to make ends meet, and here she is with no possessions, no home, nothing to eat. This is exactly where I have been, and I have forgotten how good I have it. Thank you to her for being so human, and reminding me that we are all creatures of Earth.

My God, I wish I could just save the world somedays.

Sorry but this encounter has really moved me.

I am so with you and feel the same way, I want to help everyone and make a difference if its possible. My suggestion,lets put all out prejudices and preconvienced ideas aside. I suggest we all keep our ideas open as nothing it as seems.

If anyonw is in trouble, plese contact me, i will do my best to help,

Love katherine, blessings to all of you.

xoxo

• Like 8

I agree with Katherine and Angel as well. You never realize just how good you have it sometimes.

Also what keeps me going if I have a really bad day, I think of my Family. I will pick up the phone and chat with them for a little while. That always makes me feel better! Living away from all of them can make it a little lonely from time to time. It is always nice to hear there voice :)

P.S. Katherine I tried to give you rep points for your bottom line that you wrote, " If anyonw is in trouble, plese contact me, i will do my best to help" but I ran out of rep points. But many rep points deserved. xox

• Like 6

Being alive is my high. Although I have never been in a position of being homeless, life has dealt many trying moments. When I finally get time to reflect on things I realize life is a process from one thing to another. Many young poeple I meet now actually listen when I help them realize they are young, that things will get better. Attitude makes the world of difference.

There is always something each individual can reflect on which helps them realize this is a beautiful world we live in as Nat King Cole sang.

My main lift is always my children and family. I want to live to be an old old man and watch them evolve.

• Like 7

When life's got you down on your knees and is continuously hoofing you in the ass and kicking sand in your face....what motivates you to get back up, grab life tightly by the balls and and say "Screw you life! I'm not taking your shit lying down anymore!!" ? This can be certain music, maybe a movie, maybe a book. Maybe a person...anything really.

I always remind myself that things could be worse when life has got me down and out. I could be starving, homeless, or a combination of both, but I'm not. My life isn't really all that bad compared to many others in the world at large and those people still wake up every day to face life, as horrible as it may be. That alone is inspiring enough.

Edited by Sweet Angel
  • Like 5

I have been homeless and lived on the food bank during my last year of high school. That experience alone, and knowing that there are others who haven't been successful at bouncing back from something like that, has made me who I am today.

We all go through bad times. Sometimes, you need a mosh pit, sometimes, you need to dance, sometimes you need to reach out to a mentor, a hero, a good friend.

And me? I cling on to my dreams. If I fail, I keep going. And if I fail again, I try harder.

I hold on to the fact that if you take a moment to refocus, you see that life is incredibly beautiful. It's beautiful precisely because it's possible to start over. We can't help everyone but we can recognize that greatness is inside us. And when you push through the bad times, you may be quietly inspiring someone else too. :)

• Like 6

Go so far away that you stop being afraid of not coming back

Don't wait for the storm to pass, learn how to do dance in the rain

Always remember who you are

I try to live by those quotes, not sure who wrote them, but they speak to me. I have been far in my life, I have had things happening to me, that today make me stronger then I use to be. I was in the hospital when I was younger, I have had a story of harming myself at some points and each day I see the scars on my arms...and years after years they are finally fading away...but they remind me of my struggles, fears and battles that I had against myself and others.

I have forgot more then once and even today, who I am, who I truly am. I tried to change for some peoples, because they are/were my friends, I have fallen in love...and change myself more then once. But at the end I do believe (I will sound harsh here), that you are truly alone in a way, people, friends, family, lover will be there by your side, love you, support you...but with inner struggle, you are always alone.

I remember who I am, where I come from and I hope, that I know where I am going. I've had so much shits in the past, I have been so far...that today not that much actually scare me...and I love dancing in the rain(nekkid or not!)

• Like 6

But at the end I do believe (I will sound harsh here), that you are truly alone in a way, people, friends, family, lover will be there by your side, love you, support you...but with inner struggle, you are always alone.

YES. Thanks for writing that. You make such an important point here: in the end, we are alone. I also survived an illness at one point and it's amazing how life changes when all of a sudden, the people you thought you were friends with disappear and don't come and visit you. There are times when we have to depend on something else to keep us going.

And that also reinforces the notion that really great friendships are truly rare. Sometimes we need unfortunate events to uncover these kinds of truths and to appreciate the people who make life less lonely.

• Like 1

I can't wait to get home so I can give rep points and nominations to preety much every post in this thread so far! Keep 'em coming people! :D

Posted via Mobile Device

BK said it... "being alive is my high."

I love people. I love genuine human contact. If anything gets me up every morning, it's the knowledge that someone out there will enrich the fabric of my life today.

I wake up with the hope that every day I can make at least one person smile. Whether it's engaging a stranger in conversation, making a crusty person drop their guard, giving a friend a mental or physical hug, or even just doing something trivial for someone who wasn't expecting it... well that is a good day.

• Like 3

Guest K***e D****ls

I'm a big reader, so I'm going to say inspirational books. Biographies of people who have overcome major obstacles or have risked a lot to help others. It helps puts life into perspective when you see things through their eyes.

There's one someone bought for me (thank you!) that I'm reading now called "Three Cups Of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. Phenomenal book. I would highly recommend.

My nephew inspires me. Born premature, told he was going to die before he turned one. That was over seven years ago. He has had a lot of curves and obstacles in his way that he has overcome and will overcome, but he always has a smile, a happy kid. And doesn't feel sorry for himself. God I love it when doctors get it wrong

And something else that motivates and inspires me, is this wonderful CERB community of ours. We aren't just about SP's/Clients, we have threads like this, groups like Charity, Chicken Soup for the CERBITE's Soul etc. We as individuals and collectively care about our fellow man/woman.

Just a quick additional thought and pat on all our backs

RG

• Like 2

Guest f***2f***
I'm a big reader, so I'm going to say inspirational books. Biographies of people who have overcome major obstacles or have risked a lot to help others. It helps puts life into perspective when you see things through their eyes.

There's one someone bought for me (thank you!) that I'm reading now called "Three Cups Of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. Phenomenal book. I would highly recommend.

Ya I tend to curl up with a book too and shut the world out.

But a lot of times I reach out to some very good friends who have proved they are very good friends by lending their ear and sometimes themselves when the going gets tough. Of course I reciprocate for them and that helps to inspire me too. I think I get more inspired when I help them than when they help me to tell you the truth.

It is true that the measure that you give will be returned 100 fold...who said that?? lol

So many great stories and comments here !! Awesome. I can relate to many.

Pretty simple for me. My two young kids motivate and inspire me to be the best person I can, work hard, provide for them and give them the best life they can have. Spend as much time with them as possible and be the best Dad I can possible be.

I spend as much time as I can free up to spend on several fundraising efforts to help others less fortunate. This inspiration came from both my Father and my Mother who spent many years doing the same. As many have stated here, there are so many people out there less fortunate and were not given a fair shake and the same opportunites many of us have been given, or loved and treated the same way by their parents and families growing up.

When I need a boost and a smile I will watch any Jim Carrey, Mike Myers, or John Candy movie to get me laughin again. :)

My family most of all motivates me and friends in Halifax and afar. I have learned to more or less shake off the BS and keep on trucking! Music also makes me very happy and motivates me to get off my ass and set aside my "pity party" and dance the BS away!!

I have been extremely fortunate to have a relatively easy life. However, like everyone else, I have down days too. What brings me up? Well somewhat similar to others but a little more general - YOUTH.

I find inspiration in the excitment, innocence, and positivity of young people. And at all age groups. Some young teens are just so smart and idealistic about the future. I love to be around them, try and share my insights, and guide them if I can. In younger years it is all about being involved and active. At ages 5-13 is really when I believe great human beings are formed. And I can honestly see it in many kids. But infants can literally bring me to tears of joy. I love any excuse to visit a maternity ward. A baby's laugh is probably the best sound in the world.

When I need inspiration - find some young people.

Cub

• Like 1

Speaking of books. The Coop's autobiography "Alice Cooper: Golf Monster" really touched me.....don't laugh! :p Hear me out. The majority of the book tells of his battle with alcoholism and how he eventually overcame it for the sake of....and with the help of...his family. Being someone who had his own bout with the bottle and came out on top (3 years and counting without a drop :) ), I find his story truly inspirational. I mean, if Alice Cooper can remain sober for over 20 years, while still very much living the "rock star" life, constantly touring and being constantly surrounded by it.....then it should be a walk in the park for me right?

It also has a ton of very useful golf tips for you golfers out there...I kid you not. :D

• Like 1

Guest W***ledi*Time

The Man In Motion:

poster_nikeposter_lg.jpg

Soon be home

Only just a few miles down the road

I can make it

I know I can

You broke the boy in me

But you won't break the man

- John Parr

Speaking of books. The Coop's autobiography "Alice Cooper: Golf Monster" really touched me.....don't laugh! :p Hear me out. The majority of the book tells of his battle with alcoholism and how he eventually overcame it for the sake of....and with the help of...his family. Being someone who had his own bout with the bottle and came out on top (3 years and counting without a drop :) ), I find his story truly inspirational. I mean, if Alice Cooper can remain sober for over 20 years, while still very much living the "rock star" life, constantly touring and being constantly surrounded by it.....then it should be a walk in the park for me right?

It also has a ton of very useful golf tips for you golfers out there...I kid you not. :D

I wish you the best of your sobriety, Castle, any advice to your success would be valued by myself and I am sure by several more members on this board.

After my last round of golf , It would probably be a good idea to read the tips. :icon_lol:

Being someone who had his own bout with the bottle and came out on top (3 years and counting without a drop :) ), I find his story truly inspirational. I mean, if Alice Cooper can remain sober for over 20 years, while still very much living the "rock star" life, constantly touring and being constantly surrounded by it.....then it should be a walk in the park for me right?:D

Wow Castle that is awesome and for someone who has many older family member struggling with sobriety and being clean and my older sister who has been sober for over 5yrs now.

I don't personally know the struggle but have seen it first hand and it took a lot of strength, love and positivity to support her everyday, til this day.

I am a very sensitive person and reading your story has brought me to tears, thinking of how hard it is to stop and the fight that anyone who has battled any addiction must go through.

One day at a time!!

Big Hugs,

Lexy

This is a most difficult question to answer. In my life I have seen some of the most vile and disturbing acts anyone can ever imagine. I've served in Bosnia 3 times, Croatia twice, Kosovo twice, Afganistan twice officially and 4 times on short stays, and Iraq twice. Recently early in the summer, I was also in another war zone. This is an experience I would not wish on anyone, what you see in the movies gives you no concept of the realities of war. I was very happily out of it all, when I was asked last fall to go back and take on a slightly different job. Is this something that I regret, no. It was a very difficult decision to make, and I made it for the right reasons. Why, because protecting those who cannot protect themselves is always worth the risk.

So what is it that inspires me? A moment in time, I sometimes ask myself if it was even real. During some of the worst fighting in Iraq, something outstanding occurred. We were in Az Zubayr, it was I figure around 6am. Fighting had been raging all night and I was on almost no sleep for 3 days. I came around a corner with the young soldier who still serves with me today, weapons were up and ready. I still don't know what caused either one of us to hesitate, something didn't feel right for whatever reason. As we came around the corner there was a little girl standing there. I don't know why she was there, she must have been maybe 6 or 7, but she smiled at us. Both of us lowered our guard just so she knew we would not hurt her, she reached down and picked two little flowers that were growing next to the wall and walked over and gave them to us. The young soldier and I looked at each other in amazement....how could something like this happen here, in this place, under these circumstances? Then she smiled again and walked away...I still wonder how any of it was ever real! Well it was real, I still have that flower tucked away in a very safe place. It reminds me that no matter how terrible things can get, there is always something that can make you smile and remind us, there is some good in this world!

My grandfather said to me as a very young boy, "Do what's right, not what's easy". I live by those words every day, and will never give up hope on humanity.

• Like 9

I always remind myself that things could be worse when life has got me down and out. I could be starving, homeless, or a combination of both, but I'm not. My life isn't really all that bad compared to many others in the world at large and those people still wake up every day to face life, as horrible as it may be. That alone is inspiring enough.

Your attitude inspires me.

I find different things inspire me every day but of course there's some that stay for ever. For me, my biggest inspiration are my parents they are 2 great people that have not always had it easy and in different ways as they each have their own personality but they did not let anyone stop them from getting where and what they wanted. Also, again in different ways they are very caring people and they have and actually keep teaching me stuff but not only with words but with their actions.

Children also inspire me, their energy the way they enjoy the silliest things, how they don't care who is watching or what others think.

People who always or almost always see the positive side of things and situations. Those who have a lot less (and I'm not just talking material things) than me and irradiate happiness are amazing and of course an inspiration.

Wow what an awesome thread, love it!! Thanks Castle for starting it :)

• Like 1