What should I minor in?

What should I minor in?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What should I minor in?

• Classical studies (study of ancient Greece/Rome)
    • Anthropology

So I've decided to change my minor from Italian to something else.

What that something else is, I haven't quite decided. I've narrowed it down to two choices:

Anthropology

Classical studies

Keep in mind my first BA was in archaeology and classics, so I'm fairly well-versed in classics already, which would make doing a minor in it, pretty easy (also, and I'd have to ask because I'm really not sure, but it's possible that the courses from my first BA might cross-over and so I might not have to take anything new--but again, I have to double-check)

Anthropology would also be fairly easy.

I just really don't want to learn Italian anymore (I don't have the time needed to really dedicate myself to the language).

So, which would you pick and why?

HALP.

I would pick anthropology. I took a few courses on it when I did my degree. It wasn't exactly related to my degree, but I'm really glad I took it because...

• In terms of most courses, which are pretty narrow in terms of specialization, anthropology is refreshlingly broad
  • Learning about different cultures, social behaviours, and things such as partcipant observation are all very interesting. This will not only help your career, but it will help you in life to help you gain a wider perspective on the world.
  • You will gain an awareness and understanding of ethnic differences, and in my opinion, that is very attractive for potential employers, and increase your qualifications for different fields of business
  • It opens the door to numerous possible positions such as working for a research firm, government, social analyst, international agencies, and/or program officers. Whether it's corporate, non-profit, academic, or government, getting a minor in this will help you in all these streams.
  • It has a lot more hands on learning, then classical studies. The data collecting methods are actually really fun, innovative, and interesting

Well from what you said, if it were me, I would take a minor to learn something new. If you already know classics, then I would go for anthropology. It's something new to learn.

That's what I'd do

Good luck whatever you chose

RG

Truthfully, I'm thinking in terms of grades at this point. What can I take that will be both interesting and will yield good grades? The more interesting to me, the better the grades. That's just how I work. If I end up hating it, I just won't apply myself.

I'm leaning towards anthro myself, mainly because having experienced classics for four years, unless you have a really great prof, the subject matter can be pretty dry. But then again, if I find out that my courses from my first BA transfer and I don't have to take anything new, I'll probably go that route.

Truthfully, I'm thinking in terms of grades at this point. What can I take that will be both interesting and will yield good grades? The more interesting to me, the better the grades. That's just how I work. If I end up hating it, I just won't apply myself.

I'm leaning towards anthro myself, mainly because having experienced classics for four years, unless you have a really great prof, the subject matter can be pretty dry. But then again, if I find out that my courses from my first BA transfer and I don't have to take anything new, I'll probably go that route.

In terms of grades, I'm not exactly sure how classical studies work because I've never taken any courses in regards to it.

With anthropology, a bulk of the percentage of the mark was based on assignments, projects, and presentations. As long as you apply yourself, it should be fairly simple to get in the 80%-85% range. It's very difficult though if you are trying to get in the 90%+ range, in my opinion though for a course like that, because the marking is a little subjective, and the prof can always find something that needed work on.

In terms of grades, I'm not exactly sure how classical studies work because I've never taken any courses in regards to it.

With anthropology, a bulk of the percentage of the mark was based on assignments, projects, and presentations. As long as you apply yourself, it should be fairly simple to get in the 80%-85% range. It's very difficult though if you are trying to get in the 90%+ range, in my opinion though for a course like that, because the marking is a little subjective, and the prof can always find something that needed work on.

With classics, the courses are usually made up of a mid-term, a research paper and a final exam, with some portion of your grade going to participation.

I took a few anthro courses as electives during my first degree, so I'm familiar with the anthro format.

Plus, since it's a minor, most of the courses will be first year requirements and then choices from a list of anthro courses. I can pick and choose with some flexibility what I think is interesting. Whereas with classics, it's pretty much Greece and Rome all day, all the time. Art, archaeology, culture, religion, etc.

It would appear I'm probably going to pick anthro. Hah.

Sometimes you just gotta work through this with someone else looking at it.

A close friend has her masters in anthropology (I forget her minors, she's got a couple, though). It's a wider subject range, and will give you more opportunity down the road. Plus, it's freakin' awesome!

Guest f***2f***

Only took Anthropology 101 to make up my first year elective but I loved it. I just found it fascinating. My major was English and minor in History so it really was quite relevant to the History minor. Good luck!

That's just how I work. If I end up hating it, I just won't apply myself.

That's the key right there. The highest marks I got were in courses that I were frickin' fascinated with. Stuff that I would have taught myself on my own time (and in some cases, had even started to).

Another way of phrasing the question would be: In the past 2 years, how many books have you bought, or documentaries have you watched, or discussions have you engaged in about anthropology vs. classics? Where do you find yourself naturally gravitating?

Looking at the thread, it seems like you already know the answer. All I can do now is wish you the very best. Kick some ass!

I did some of each and enjoyed them both. I notice that a lot of classics scholars end up in Anthropology. Maybe because it's a broader, more flexible field? Margaret Visser, for example, did much of her academic work in classics, but says that she's an anthropologist, now.

You're more likely to be able to design projects or research topics that fit with your own interests in Anthro. Plus, what you've already learned in classics is still useful.

You expect an unbiased opinion on this from me? Ha!

Seriously... go with what you think you'll enjoy. I always did that while I was at school, which sometimes meant ditching things that I might have got better marks in, but I've never had cause to regret it.

Besides, I - like most folks, I suspect - have now ended up doing something that has precisely nothing to do with anything I studied in full-time education... from which we can conclude that in the long run it may well not matter much anyway, so you might as well have fun :)

Others have stated it before, and it is the most important consideration: go for the discipline you will able to give your full attention, the set of topics that will most enrich your mind and draw you in.

A secondary consideration, not to be neglected, is how this minor will be perceived by those who will see your resume, be they 'regular employers', those giving grants, professors from grad school, even tenure decision-making committee, should you want to pursue a more academic path. Going for a minor in Classics, after having completed a honours degree in this discipline, will raise red flags. Would it be a sign of indecision, of a lack of intellectual curiosity, an attempt to boost a GPA, etc. Those having to look at resumes often who have to go through huge piles of them and they have to make decisions that may appear unfounded, but are actually require to manage the task. Believe me, sorting through 150 resumes does lead to making on-the-spot in-out decisions.

Best to you for the new school year. Learning new stuff can be great in the right environment. I wish you enthusiastics and knowledgeable lecturers and professors.

Ah screw it, I'm throwing in for Classics and for entirely selfish reasons.

Mostly because just about anything related to ancient greece and rome has always held my attention for more than 5 seconds, which is quite the feat for just about anything that's academic and structured.

I get the feeling you'll do great no matter which route you take, so have some fun and don't sweat the small stuff! :)

Anthropology!!!! You can go to an island somewhere and learn Tuvan throat sining, or Mesopotamian mime, or Javanese coffee making... something cool!!!!