Student of Acadia dies from binge drinking

This is such an unfortunate and disturbingly frequent story. As others have shared we have seen for years the abuse of alcohol (and other things) among young people. I certainly had my risky experiences. Regrettably I expect these stories will continue.

I generally lean to the right of issues and believe highly in individual accountability. We all have choices and for our wrongs we can always find ways to place ourselves in the 'victim' roles. We see a great deal of this in our court systems which drives me crazy. But I've also learned that society does have a role to play to try and minimize people from doing stupid things, even to themselves. These situations are complex in terms of responsibility as shown by the varying views but it also demonstrates that we are passionate to try and find solutions. I do hold servers (whether bars, friends, families) accountable for aiding those who are clearly beyond the point of consumption with more alcohol. At least then with 2 individuals who have choices to make you would hope that 1 of them would be wise.

Finally, I feel for the students family and friends. Any life lost is sad, but when it's our youth, who have so much ahead of them, we all suffer.

Cub

• Like 1

So right it is that it is our individual responsibility. But on the same hand, I know I have seen older patrons of a bar get asked to leave( 45 yr old man) the bar due to intoxication, so why not extend that same preventive care to our young who do not have the experience behind them to know when to leave. I was impressed when I seen an older man be told he was cut off, would be even more impressed if it were a youngin'. I remember coming of age in Moncton, and there was a pub...Fat Tuesday's. They served draft .25 each hour it would go up another .25, now the city had to step in and say" no way can we sell alcohol so cheep and keep our youth and streets safe" They were closed a few years after.

I gusse I am just saying, our bars can do better in ensuring their safety, especially were it is to the students that is their targeted market.

Edited by Studio 110 by Sophia
sp

I personally have no problem with a bar cutting off someone who is drunk

My only argument is that as a liability issue, the individual should be liable for his/her actions, it shouldn't be up to the bartender, or whoever

If you want to start getting absurd with this idea of liability, what if we said the LCBO and Beer Store were responsible, because they sold the alcohol/beer (even if a few days ahead of time) that a person drank in binge drinking...or stretch it further, how about liability on breweries and distilleries, they made the intoxicating product to begin with

And binge drinking isn't new, when I was growing up, many years ago (18-19 yrs old, I'm 50 now) we drank, heavily.

And who's fault was it that I got drunk...mine, and mine alone

RG