Hi Ladies and Gents,

I'm heading to Halifax in early Oct. and am trying to plan my visit. I always enjoy taking a few days to myself in which I can explore an area. I am attending the Port Of Wines festival but otherwise haven't figured out what else to do or where to go. I should note it's not my first time in Halifax and I've seen most of the 'touristy' stuff but do enjoy special events, new restaurants, or any art/theatre. Any recommendations?

Also I've not travelled much beyond Halifax, if there was another city in the province you'd recommend please let me know. I am debating spending an extra day or two in the area to travel before heading off to the USA.

Thanks,

Kyra

I always tell anyone heading out this way to visit Peggy's Cove. Make sure to get the apple crispt at the Souwester Restaurant when you're there.

Lunenburg has a great winery that makes my favorite blueberry wine!

Applefest should be going on in the Annapolis valley soon too :D

And Pictou is lovely "city" with a great wharf side restaurant!

Have a great trip!

Posted via Mobile Device

hit the valley BEAUTIFUL IN THE FALL tour some wineries 2010 was a great year for baco noir try blomidon,s its quite nice !!! BETTER YET INVITE ME TO BE YOUR GUIDE-chuckle chuckle

Thanks all! A certain gent on here had also mentioned Peggy's Cove and the Annapolis Valley, perhaps I'll make the entire trip a wine buying tour and see some of the wineries. All the restaurants look good but I don't eat seafood (or any meat) so I might have to pass on them, that's where downtown Halifax comes in handy for me, it has veg options. :)

I appreciate the info and if you think of anything else of interest please feel free to post or PM.

Kyra, I'm not from the area. (Western boy) Have been to Halifax a couple times. But a few years back took 2 weeks to see rural areas. Went to Lunenburg, Peggy's Cove, PEI, Cape Breton. I loved them all. Such beautiful country, great food (yeh seafood), and good people. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think every Canadian needs to see that part of the country at least once. Cub

Most of the higher end restaurants will offer vegetarian options as well, even if they're not on the menu. If you call ahead, the chef can usually whip up a special creation for you.

I always tell anyone heading out this way to visit Peggy's Cove.

I need to second this. I am from out that way, but almost always make time to visit Peggy's Cove when I am out there. It is amazing.

Guest t**i***n

Not sure which side of your visit you'll add days too, but on Oct 6 Giora Schimdt is performing Tchaikovsky with Symphony Nova Scotia. Also FiD is a great spot for a bite to eat in the European vibe http://fidresto.ca/. If you are looking to travel outside the city, the Cabot Trail in early October is SPECTACULAR and Gabrieaus Bistro in Antigonish has the best Bruschetta anywhere if you get peckish along the way.

Thank you, with the votes piling up for Peggy's Cove I might have to look into it instead.

Tywinson - I hadn't heard of FiD before but it sounds like just the type of place I am looking for, I love in season local foods as I think it gives you a real flavour of a city. Thanks!

Thank you, with the votes piling up for Peggy's Cove I might have to look into it instead.

Tywinson - I hadn't heard of FiD before but it sounds like just the type of place I am looking for, I love in season local foods as I think it gives you a real flavour of a city. Thanks!

You will love Peggy's Cove, it's a nice scenic drive and is just so lovely. It's been awhile since I've been but this thread has got me planning a visit. Just don't go to close to the edge on the rocks and wear sneakers.

Big Hugs,

Lexy

Peggy's Cove is famous for its waves crashing on the rocks. Even when it seems calm for a bit, big waves can wash you off the rocks if you get to close.

Lunenburg is a pretty little town, with brightly coloured buildings lining the harbour. Lots of history, got this country started with the ship building industry that gave us the Bluenose.

Ideally, you have time for both!

You will love Peggy's Cove, it's a nice scenic drive and is just so lovely. It's been awhile since I've been but this thread has got me planning a visit. Just don't go to close to the edge on the rocks and wear sneakers.

Big Hugs,

Lexy

We should go for lunch.