Adviced needed, My leg in a Cast

Yesterday I was playing badminton for the first time in 20 years and while running to hit the bird on a short drop. I felt a pop in my leg and collapsed. I could not walked for a while. went to the clinic this morning and was diagnosed with a torn archilles tendon. Very painful. Now I am in a plaster cast for two weeks and not allowed to put weight on my foot. After that 6 weeks in a air cast and physio therapy. I also have to use crutches to walk around which I find painful and awkward to use. Haven't figured up how to get up and down stairs or take a shower or bath without getting the cast wet or standing on one foot. I also am not allowed to drive, not that I could with a cast on my foot anyways.

I was wandering if anyone else has experience with being on crutches and a cast on their foot and could give me any advice on how to get around and look after myself for the next 8 weeks.

Anybody have any funny or interesting stories about their experiences.

Has anyone seen a SP with a cast on.

Any SP's seen a client with a cast on.

Anyone still have sex while in a cast. :) What positions are possible

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Edited by someguy
Typo's

My one suggestion for showering would be to wrap the cast in some kind of plastic bag and seal that to your leg so no water gets in and to sit on a chair so theres no weight on your legs.

As for seeing an sp, anything when you are on your back should work just fine and may be an interesting spin on your typical bedroom routine depending on how you usually do things.

Edited by Maverick
spelling

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I had a cast for several months as a teen - some long while since. I wouldn't be able to shed much light on having sex wearing one as I was a late bloomer! :icon_smile:

I did lots of shuffling up and down stairs on my bum, wore a garbage bag in the bath and managed to keep the damn thing dry until it came off. Tub baths are easier than showers I think to keep the cast dry.

DONT try and scratch the itch which will develop in a few days. You may injure the skin and then have all sorts of problems. Likewise if water gets in, particularly if it's not enough to soften the cast so you notice it damaged. Foot rot is nasty!!!

The air cast will be easier - and lighter.

Good luck

CB

Assuming you have crutches, stairs are pretty easy once you get the hang of it, just slow:

Going up, leave the crutches on the step you are on and push up on the crutches with your arms to get to the next step. Going down, put the crutches on the step down and then slowly swing your body down.

Two plastic bags and two rubber bands should do the trick in the shower; just try to keep that leg out of the water flow.

I blew and achilles in the early mid 70's surgery and cylinder cast for 12 weeks. The I had an ACL repair done in the early 80's (first repair done in Wpg) A cast bent at a 45 degree angle for 12 weeks and then a variety of hinged plaster casts for another 24 weeks. So I used crutches a ton.

First, I invested in an aluminum pair in black of course so much lighter and cooler looking :). When somewhere don't lean them against the wall etc with the tips down...why? cause they'll fall over so lean them top down and they won't. Of course size them correctly as to not put weight on your arm pits, just your hands. I wrapped the handles with thick foam using tape and it was way more comfortable than the ones they come with. Stairs get easier as you get stronger, at first the one step at a time using the crutches in one hand is the way to go and each step is infact a 2 step process same and going down you kind of hop. One you're more confident and stronger you'll do the two crutches to sort of sling you up things and then put 2 crutches down first and step off.

Bathing, I used a lawn chair in the tub and a hand held shower head, garbage bag tied at the top and Bob's your uncle. You get used to leading with the casted leg.

At home I wore sweat pants alot, deep pockets allowed me to carry stuff room to room. May need to use more single serve stuff if you live alone, a bottle water or a beer fits in the pockets easily.

With sex we used towels to cover the cast and reduce friction. With the ACL cast it was like permanent cowgirl...;) We got pretty creative after that, afteral once your foot or leg is in a cast it pretty protected...

Sorry for being long winded.

Peace

MG

• Like 1

I don't have much experience other than a broken wrist in grade school, don't get it wet!! That's when the smell and itch comes.

I will suggest that you manage to get some fun out of it while you can since having a cast can be a bummer, might as well do what you can to make the best of it.

My suggestions would be to have fun with it and get a colored cast or keep in mind that if you think it might get dirty, get a darker color. Get it signed by your friends, family and co-workers (or SP) so carry around a marker or two. If getting it signed isn't your thing..you can get really cool cast wrap or tattoos(castttoos) for them by googling cast covers.

And don't forget to get medical attention if you experience odd symptoms like unusual swelling, numbness or tingling, wounds under the cast or if your cast becomes loose or split.

Here's to a speedy recovery! Get well soon! 22049.jpg

I only have the following words for you:

DATY, 69, BJ, Cowgirl

Shower chair, hand held shower head

Private driver, lots of movies to watch

I only have the following words for you:

DATY, 69, BJ, Cowgirl

Shower chair, hand held shower head

Private driver, lots of movies to watch

You got it Angela! I had my leg in cast for 8months, compund break of the fibula:( These are the best postions for ya!

Dont forget to wiggel your toes too, keep the blood pumping and mussels working.

I am very sorry to hear this. I hope you have a fast and successful recovery. I do not know if any of this is useful for you, but here it goes.....

My advice to you is to do as the doctor says. You do want to make sure it heals properly. I broke my ankle once. It was from a car accident. Only I could not walk on my foot for 9 months. It felt like FOREVER. lol I think thatwould have been one of the worst things I ever experienced. It effects your mobility, to put it simple a pain in the ass. lol

As for it effecting your playtime, you should be ok. As long as your feeling up to it! I would recommend your lady friend to take control in that situation. It would more than likely be the easiest way. :) hehe

Again sorry to hear about your injury. Get rested up. It will be over before you know it ;)

Love Always

Carley xox

Angela brought this thread to my attention because she knows I broke my femur in '98, and then again in '99, skydiving. What? Anyone can break their leg once. ;)

I did work through a couple years of being on and off crutches and varying levels of being able to bear weight on my leg. But I never had a cast. The first time, I broke it in four places from top to bottom, so I got an IM rod (very nice fix, in my view!) and the second time, I only broke it low, so they went with a bracket. I haven't had a cast since I was a little kid (...and then I was rarely without one).

All I can advise on is the crutches. Get yourself a backpack and/or keep a couple plastic grocery bags around for carrying stuff. The worst is preparing food and getting it to wherever you will eat it, if you're on your own. Learn to like sandwiches -- but some tupperware type sealable containers might help you to get things like pasta dishes, cereal, soup and such from the counter to the table -- just lower the sealed container gently into your plastic bag, and hold it with your crutch as you go.

Shortly after I broke my leg the first time, I got a call from a drop zone operator from out West to say that he had arrived in Ottawa. ?? I had promised to take him on a tour of Ontario drop zones that autumn, but I assumed it was off since I busted myself up. He tried to talk me into going anyway, but my husband would not hear of it, what with my broken leg and all -- so he went with him! Leaving me home alone for a week with four dogs in a three-story town house. It was really tough being on my own on crutches that week. I hope you will not be on your own too much. Get as much help from friends and family, even neighbours. as you can. It won't serve to be too proud just now.

And finally, always be mindful of that stuff about keeping your environment free of trip hazards and slippery wet places. I slipped one day getting out of the shower when I put the tip of my crutch on wet tiling, and it went flying. My little toe hit the bathroom vanity and was smashed thoroughly. Believe it or not, this hurt a million times worse than busting my femur!!! And, of course, having a broken toe (on my good leg) didn't make my situation any better for getting around on crutches. Don't hotdog it! Be extra careful.

Good luck!

(PS. Get lots of massage. You'll be using your body differently for the next little while, and that will take it's toll. Massage can counter some of that.)

There's a wealth of good advice here!

All I can say is that I fell, 13 years ago, and shattered my right tibia plateau. I was in a cast, and then in a kind of brace, for 8 weeks. I couldn't use crutches--my balance wasn't good enough. We transformed our house for a while, with a hospital bed in the living room, as well as a commode chair because the main floor bathroom was a tiny powder room. I had a wheelchair to get around on the main floor and I could stand up from there to wash my hair in the kitchen sink. I took a lot of sponge baths. When I was finally able to go upstairs to the full bathroom, I showered sitting down on a plastic chair with a hand-held shower wand.

It was a major hassle! But my kids got into it. They were very helpful. I'd never realized how often I dropped things in the normal course of the day.

As for sex, we managed! It wasn't fantastic, but it was worth it!

Take it easy. Ask for help. Shower your helpers with concrete, genuine appreciation. Don't push yourself too far or too hard. When you're tired, slow down or stop what you're doing for a bit. Rest is your friend.

Thanks for all the information.

I had to go to work today as I have major deadlines today. Probably shouldn't have taken the risk, but too much work to do. I found moving around very painful for the arm pits and hands and my good leg. I cannot seem to coordinate the crutches very well and almost fell several times. I am suppose to keep my cast from touching the floor, but find it very hard since it is tiring and the cast is heavy. My foot is bent down at 45 degrees so I can't put weight on my toes and I can't put weight on my heel unless I have my foot a foot or two in front of my body, which is hard on my good leg. I have a lot to do at work and would like to stay on schedule but at the same time I know I should not walk around for the week or two.

I doubt that I will be seeing any SP's for 2 months as I can barely walk a few feet right now.

Any other stories are welcome as they are very helpful for me and maybe others.

As a person who has had significant crutch and wheelchair time in the past, a few suggestions.

With the crutches, don't put weight on them with your armpits, ever. Use your hands to support your weight and in a couple of days they will toughen up. It will be more comfortable for you and the hands give you far more control. The motion or swing of your body once developed becomes an aide as momentum and physics play a role.

Biggest caution of all is to watch out for water on most flooring surfaces. The rubber tips on water turn the crutch into a slide, immediately with no warning.

A wheelchair presents its own issues, however for safety treasons may be a better option for you. Accessibility is always an issue, even in buildings that are supposedly accessible. Ramps are not always to standard, and the lip across a door frame becomes a major hurdle at times.

Good luck and once you master the technique see an SP as a personal reward. Incentive. :)

Thanks for all the information.

I had to go to work today as I have major deadlines today. Probably shouldn't have taken the risk, but too much work to do. I found moving around very painful for the arm pits and hands and my good leg. I cannot seem to coordinate the crutches very well and almost fell several times. I am suppose to keep my cast from touching the floor, but find it very hard since it is tiring and the cast is heavy. My foot is bent down at 45 degrees so I can't put weight on my toes and I can't put weight on my heel unless I have my foot a foot or two in front of my body, which is hard on my good leg. I have a lot to do at work and would like to stay on schedule but at the same time I know I should not walk around for the week or two.

I doubt that I will be seeing any SP's for 2 months as I can barely walk a few feet right now.

Any other stories are welcome as they are very helpful for me and maybe others.

• Like 1

After 3 days in the cast and 12 more to go. I hate my cast.i have a torn achilles tendon. Why does the cast go up to almost my knees. I feel my calf muscles are getting too tight and my legs getting very sore. I know that I have gone to work for two days when I should be resting. But it is so boring to sit around watching TV. Any advice on how to lessen the swelling in my leg?

Anyone know why the cast is so big when the injury is way down at the ankle.

Sorry for rambling on . Have a good night :)

Elevate your foot: it needs to be higher than your butt for most of the day.

The cast goes to the knee 'coz the muscle to which the tendon attaches runs up that far and need to be immobilized.

Time heals all.....

Sorry but it's a question of being a patient patient

CB

Can you work from home? If you can work on a laptop or notebook computer while keeping your leg elevated, that would help. It IS boring to have to sit or lie down most of the time, for sure. Read. Watch TV. Play computer games. Master chess. Learn a new language.

Always remember that beautiful paid companions are available to come and help you feel better, too! Most of us can make coffee and tea or pour wine. We're experts at adjusting pillows in myriad ways to make you feel comfortable. We also specialize in relaxation techniques that you're bound to enjoy over and over again.... :icon_wink:

I can now work from home and connect to my computers at work.

I just can't get comfortable working in the chairs I have. as either by butt gets sore or my back get sores.

As my leg heals, is it suppose to hurt more as the tendons and nerves are rebuilding? or is it because I may have stretched them trying to get up and down stairs?

Thanks for the info

You will get aches and pains there for the first couple of weeks.

Any local tender spot, particularly if it is over a bony bit of your foot or ankle and away from the tendon may need to be checked out. Casts can rub and create hot spots.

Maybe Samantha's suggestion of a bit of Tender Loving Care may be a good prescription..... :icon_biggrin:

CB

Guest *l**e

k...here is the best info ever.

1. bathing...at shoppers or whatever pharmacy they sell inflatable cast covers. its like a big sleeve that covers your cast then you simply blow it up. it seals around the cast so water can't get in. you can either shower on one foot, or on a plastic chair in the shower...its all good.

2. crutches. if you can't afford aluminum, make sure the wooden ones are adjusted right for your height...youtube has some excellent videos. youtube also has some great videos on the safest/easiest ways to go up and down stairs, but as a previous response said, slowly is the key.

3. sex...you on your back is obviously easiest, but, if you can get a third person to hold up your bad leg for you, it can work and be some added fun!!!

good luck

If it starts getting itchy.

What are to do?

It can drive you crazy,

but if you scratch you can get infected.

2 weeks is a long time to be in cast before they change it.

Try scratching your leg above the cast. You'd be surprised how it can work!

Alcohol may not help :-(

CB

After two weeks I am now in a aircast.

It's better then a hard cast. At least I can open it up and scratch or wash by leg.

After the removal of my cast, my foot was still very bruise and swollen. The doctor told me initially it had been a fully torn achilles tendon and not a partial one like \i thought. It has started to heal so now I have to wear this for 6 more weeks before I get physio. Any hints on how to use a aircast, how to walk while there is still pain in my tendor. how to solve the sweaty feet problem and how to clean the leg wrap. This is my first day with it and I am tripping over it.

I am not sure if I can sleep with it yet. I've been taking sleeping pills for the last two weeks to sleep. I normally have a hard time to sleep and don't won't to end up stairing at the ceiling all night and do not want to get hooked onto sleeping pills.

Thanks for any advice.