Wouldn't go without the rubber. I had the cap come off a cup of Timmies coffee while driving and spill into my lap and it ran down under me on the seat. It's scalding and even raising my but, the pants stuck to me, and it is excruciating. It took minutes to cool down while I squirmed and tried to stay in control .

Play safe.

Maybe cerb needs an award for best thread hijacking because Julia you certainly have earned my nomination for it.

Fair enough- So back on topic. Remember to clean under the rim - No that rim, get your minds out of the gutter what did you think this was a sexually explicit forum? Common, no Lol-ing. A clean rim is a must, always.

At this point it maybe a lost cause to steer this thing back to my scary experience, but I will give it a try.

Even though I had cleaned my mug with detergent and hot water after everytime I used it, it clearly never got totally clean. The coffee was getting under the rubber ring everytime I would take a sip. The cream and sugar only helped it reincarnate as the evil black mung.

I still have the mug, it's one of those nice stainless steel ones, but now I never use the lid for drinking. I still use the lid to keep it hot, and I just lift the lid off before I am going to drink some. But there is bound to be other coffee heads around that have not realized what lies lurking under that rubber ring. Check it out cerbies, your coffee may even taste better.

Blush, I'm flattered. can this award come with a rim?

Yes indeed it can! I would be pleased to personaly deliver it and you would be the first recipient, in recognition of a hijack so well executed and humourous that it leaves one just wanting more.

Edited by Jazzitup

I wouldn't get too worked up over this. This reminds me of the toothbrush test on an episode of mythbusters.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-surprise-toothbrush-minimyth.html

The human body can put up with all sorts of gnarly awfulness, and that which doesn't kill you, right?

Yes indeed it can! I would be pleased to personaly deliver it and you would be the first recipient, in recognition of a hijack so well executed and humourous that it leaves one just wanting more.

Jazzitup, I am naughty enough to do it again. Upon delivery, you may have to punish me for my actions..You bring the rims

I wouldn't get too worked up over this. This reminds me of the toothbrush test on an episode of mythbusters.

http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbusters-surprise-toothbrush-minimyth.html

The human body can put up with all sorts of gnarly awfulness, and that which doesn't kill you, right?

There are actually more "dangerous" germs in your average kitchen than in your bathroom. But I still keep my toothbrush in the cabinet!

Jazz, the ring has probably corroded (coffee will do that); the food-safe glue that held the ring probably broke down and yuck started growing in a very cozy environment. Have taught food safety to cooking enthusiasts; may I HIGHLY RECOMMEND you put a hazmat suit on and dispose of this.

j/k about the hazmat. :D