Remembrance Day Message

As modern-day Canadians most of us have been fortunate to not have personally experienced the ravages of armed conflict. The same cannot be said for the men and women of our armed forces: air, land and navy.

The message submitted by roamingguy sheds some light on the sentiments of those who have not served, yet are very grateful to those that have. Remembrance Day is always bittersweet as we give thanks to those that paid the ultimate sacrifice, as well as those that have been injured, for our freedoms and liberties which we too often take for granted.

• Like 1

my oncle died in wwII, he is buried in normandie. every year i never forget to pay tribute to the veterans not only on november 11. the men and woman of the arme forces are real canadiens heros

Exactly, spud271.

Now multiply that feeling of helplessness as you watch your loved one(s), close family members, neighbours, someone from your town or village, head to a war zone or area of conflict. The anxiety and stress of always wondering in the back of your mind if they are safe. The continuous fear that will today be the day that a padre and and a soldier in uniform come to your door with that heart-wrenching and life-altering news.

We can never thank the members of the armed forces enough for the sacrifices they have made and will continue to make on our behalf.

Thank you, merci, grazie, gracias, danke schon. :bigclap:

As a serving and a Veteran of 3 tours in Country, Today is one of the hardest days of the year for me this is when all the dreams and bad memories hit the hardest, all the horror that we went through and the 38 that we lost during our time in-country,,

i will never forget our lost brothers in arms, that gave their lives to ensure the safety and freedom of the Afghan people and all Canadians.

Canada's Hero's

Additional Comments:

As a serving and a Veteran of 3 tours in Country, Today is one of the hardest days of the year for me this is when all the dreams and bad memories hit the hardest, all the horror that we went through and the 38 that we lost during our time in-country,,

i will never forget our lost brothers in arms, that gave their lives to ensure the safety and freedom of the Afghan people and all Canadians.

Canada's Hero's

I was surprised to find so many pms in my in-box this morning thanking me for posting the poem (post #6 above)

This is why I find that poem so special.

I lost my Uncle Kenneth in WWII who I never met (he's buried in France somewhere and the only family member to visit his grave was my mother when she was stationed in Europe with the Airforce in the early 1950s).

I also had another uncle, Austin who lied about his age to get in the Army and was overseas when he was only 15 on the front lines in Italy.

Uncle Austin NEVER spoke about the war to anyone including his own wife. However, when he was dying of cancer and coming down to Ottawa for treatment in his last days, I had the rare opportunity of being alone with him for a few minutes and he grabbed my hand and said to me....

You know I had to kill people in the war to protect our freedom. Do you think God will forgive me for that and let me into heaven? Without hesitation or further comment, I replied "of course, you were doing God's work". He seem satisfied with that response and nothing further was said. We sat there in silence, for about two minutes. It was one of the most treasured moments of my life.

To this day, whenever I think about, I feel like crying and shivers run down my back. So that poem reminded me of the time he chose to honour me with talking about the war.

I told my mother and my aunt later what we had talked about, and they were amazed.

He must have made his peace with God because he was gone a few weeks later.

Thanks for letting me share.

Edited by Mature Angela
  • Like 4

And dare I say... it's not just today that we should remember those who fought and died so that we don't have to, and those who fought and survived. We owe an unpayable debt to many who are still with us.

Tommy

I went into a public-'ouse to get a pint of beer.

The publican 'e ups an' sez, "We serve no red-coats here."

The girls be'ind the bar they laughed an' giggled fit to die,

I outs into the street again an' to myself sez I:

O it's Tommy this, and Tommy that, an' "Tommy, go away";

But it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play,

The band begins to play, my boys, the band begins to play,

O it's "Thank you, Mister Atkins," when the band begins to play.

I went into a theatre as sober as could be,

They gave a drunk civilian room, but 'adn't none for me.

They sent me to the gallery or 'round the music-'alls.

But when it comes to fightin', Lord! They'll shove me in the stalls!

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy wait outside";

But it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide,

The troopships' on the tide, my boys, the troopship's on the tide,

O it's "Special train for Atkins" when the trooper's on the tide.

Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep

Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;

An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit

Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy 'ow's your soul?"

But it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll,

The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,

O, it's "Thin red line of 'eroes" when the drums begin to roll.

We aren't no thin red 'eroes, nor we aren't no blackguards too,

But single men in barricks, most remarkable like you;

An' if sometimes our conduck isn't all your fancy paints:

Why, single men in barricks don't grow into plaster saints;

While it's Tommy this an' Tommy that, an' "Tommy fall be'ind,"

But it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

There's trouble in the wind, my boys, there's trouble in the wind,

O it's "Please to walk in front, sir," when there's trouble in the wind.

You talk o' better food for us, an' schools, an' fires, an' all:

We'll wait for extry rations if you treat us rational.

Don't mess about the cook-room slops, but prove it to our face

The Widow's Uniform is not the soldier-man's disgrace.

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that an' "Chuck him out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of his country," when the guns begins to shoot;

Yes, it's Tommy this an' Tommy that, an' anything you please;

But Tommy ain't a bloomin' fool - you bet that Tommy sees!

- Rudyard Kipling

• Like 1

A little sobering fact for Canadians. Most are well aware that 158 Canadian lives have been lost during the War in Afganistan, but most tend to forget the most disturbing fact...1859 Canadians have been wounded since the war began in 2001. That is a staggering number for such a small population as Canada has. Your men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces have served you extremely well under some very difficult circumstances, be proud of them, thank them...I know I am extremely proud to have commanded many Canadians in combat and hopefully if that time comes again, I will be fortunate enough to have Canadian troops under my command once more.

I'm a little confused and bugged. I keep reading and hearing in the media how we are running out of Veterans for Rememberence Day (to put in bluntly). How is this possible when we have now 2 generations that have had boots in country and been in harms way.

Are they not Vets?

Excellent thread.

A thoughtful day for me:

I grew up in an extended family scarred by war.

I had a 19 year old uncle who died when his plane crashed in Yorkshire returning from Europe in 1943. As he died on English soil he was repatriated to my Gran and family. He came home one foggy night wrapped only in an Air Force blanket placed in a wooden crate, missing half his head. His Highway of Heroes was a deserted blacked out street with a sole English bobby to salute him on his way home.

My Mum cried over that every year for the rest of her 74 years.

His older brother never made it home for the funeral, being a wireless operator in the Far East with the RN. He spent five years in a metal box sending signals surrounded by anti-aircraft fire. He lived in his bedroom at home except to eat and go to work, scared to death of loud noises. He died at 62.

"they also serve who only stand and wait"

CB

Something which is very moving, and I can only imagine how the families of fallen soldiers killed in Afghanistan feel when they see it, is the line up of people, firetrucks, and police crusiers across bridges over the Highway of Heroes (401). I had to travel from Kingston to Oshawa one day, the same day when a soldier was being repatriated and his body going to Toronto.

Well seeing the view of people lined up on the bridges (every single bridge from Trenton to Oshawa except railway bridges) with a Highway of Heroes vantage point, is, in short, one of the most moving public displays of respect for our fallen soldiers. And if it is moving for the general public, I can only imagine how the families of fallen soldiers view this display of respect.

RG

Something which is very moving, and I can only imagine how the families of fallen soldiers killed in Afghanistan feel when they see it, is the line up of people, firetrucks, and police crusiers across bridges over the Highway of Heroes (401). I had to travel from Kingston to Oshawa one day, the same day when a soldier was being repatriated and his body going to Toronto.

Well seeing the view of people lined up on the bridges (every single bridge from Trenton to Oshawa except railway bridges) with a Highway of Heroes vantage point, is, in short, one of the most moving public displays of respect for our fallen soldiers. And if it is moving for the general public, I can only imagine how the families of fallen soldiers view this display of respect.

RG

I've posted this a couples of times before, but it warms my heart to post it again! Canadians should feel a great deal of pride watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1R8qLAmkLU

One of my best friends is a Marine. On her last tour of duty in Iraq she was blown up but lived. For the last several years she has been one of the victims of the US gov't and their refusal to really help her. Thankfully she has dual citizenship (she married a Marine and then became one, then divorced one), and has had some of her medical procedures to get her out of a wheelchair here at OUR gov'ts invitation.

This video went slightly viral on some Marine forums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNW0pD4Qu1w